GTX 1660 compatibility with Win Server 2016 and driver to use

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Rob Fleischmann, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Rob Fleischmann

Rob Fleischmann Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    I have a small farm (a dozen boxes) all running Win2016 and all using flavors of GTX 1050's or 1060's to run A.I. using CUDA.

I wasn't thinking about the compatibility when I added the latest 2016 box and decided to opt for a fresher card: GeForce GTX 1660. And yes, the [single] card is installed in slot #1 (nearest to the CPU, as advised in the manual).

The EVGA card installed fine (the mobo happened to be EVGA as well [X58 Classified 4-Way SLI], running an older 12-core i7 X 990 chip w/36GB RAM), but then came the driver issues. On trying to get the card recognized under devices, I went for the latest 451.67 for Windows 10 (figuring that's what worked last time); but, no dice:

"This DCH driver package is not compatible with the currently installed version of Windows. This system is configured to require a Standard driver package. The correct driver can be downloaded from NVIDIA.com/drivers by selecting the "Standard" option under the "Windows Driver Type" menu.

The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware"​

But when I go to the URL, I can't find where to specify the "Standard" option for the Driver Type... ?

Of course, I'm totally making the assumption that there's a way to get this card to be recognized under Win2016 - I'm hoping that's the case - my intent is to keep running my farm as Win servers, but upgrade to EPYC-based platforms, down the road (I'm assuming - again - that the latest GPU's will be compatible with those rack-mount mobo's, too).

If anyone out there can shed some light and let me know if the 1660 is a dead-end with servers - that is, DCH drivers are/will never be compatible with Win servers - I'd much appreciate it.

If there is a way to get this going, please point me to the exact URL to get the driver and/or the proper selection I need to use on the NVIDIA.com/drivers page.

Thanks!

Rob

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  3. Rob Fleischmann

Rob Fleischmann Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Thanks Astyanax, I went there and downloaded all the non-DCH drivers for 451.67 & .77 [where available]. win7,8,10-64bit - none worked... I tried the DCH drivers, too.

I've also used the DDU s/w to ensure I properly wiped the prior install attempt, before trying the next one.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with this and found a solution?

First question though: am I right to assume that this EGVA GPU (GTX 1660) can run on the Windows 2016 server platform?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I don't think nvidia has qualified any Geforce parts for servers in some time, you might try selecting a quadro and seeing if that will install and work.

5. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
  6. Rob Fleischmann

Rob Fleischmann Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    SaiBork, I appreciate the suggestion, but I was hoping to maintain the current Server level I have (they all seem to be working well for my needs; the upgrade cost is prohibitive, if it's really just to get this GPU going). I don't want to, but it's more economical for me to send the card back and defer to another 1060ti.

Astyanax, I looked at the Quadro selection, and I'm not even sure where to start! I have no clue which would be remotely compatible with the 1660; nor, what O/S to choose for.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Saiborks actually on the mark, nvidia doesn't support its turing products on anything less than 1809, so server 2016 would definitely be below the kernel supported version.

8. Rob Fleischmann

Rob Fleischmann Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    darn - ok, well that settles it, I'll have to downgrade the hardware for now

- very much appreciate all your help, thanks Saibork & Astyanax!

9. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    if download quadro driver for win2016 and you make inf modded add your gpu strings is work?
    probably yes
    or not?

10. Rob Fleischmann

Rob Fleischmann Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    I finally decided to downgrade back to a GeForce GTX 1060, to enable me to keep the 2016 Server in place.
    In the future, I'll upgrade to 2019 and that should open up access to all the newest cards.

Thanks for all you help!

Rob