Intel 7nm CPUs Pushed back a Year, Alder Lake in 2H-2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 24, 2020.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    crap just got real..

2. Drazen

Drazen Member

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    Just interested, is someone in Intel going to start asking question why?
    If I'm not wrong they took different approach to 10/7nm proving its better. They also claim they work on much better tech.

3. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Jim Keller left intel recently , did he finish ? was indeed personal reasons ? did he had arguments and left ? I am really eager to see what he was cooking ...or help intel cook ... i mean is not just one persons work .. That said Jim never stays more than few years he moves on to the next project ... so we will see sooner or later crossing my fingers ... and nobody wants a monopoly if amd stay alone on top will inflate prices ... and will charge more a lot more we need em both up there beating each other ... honestly i want to see big performance increases 15-30% on each tick (tick tock) and amd and intel barely beating each other in turns for 2-3% each time so we can fanboy our hearts out and curse at each other calling cpus trash for being 1 min slower on an 1 hour render or having 2 fps less on 320x240 ! ... Even if it sounds toxic it is way more fun than compa[ring something like 8350 vs 6700k .... :p

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Intel has been leaking brain juice for the past 5-6 years quite heavily,
    here is a short list of key people in leadership positions bailing in the past couple years.
    -andy bryant , intel chairman (2020)
    -Craig Barratt barefoot networks ceo (absorbed by intel) (2019)
    -naveen rao , head of intel ai platforms group (2020)
    -jim keller (2020)
    -chris hook, marketing (2019)
    -heather lennon, marketing (2019)
    -Dan Mcnamara , former intel senior vp (2019?)
    -Imad Sousou , Head of intel's open source technology centre (2020)
    ect.

It would appear that something unpleasant is going on internally....

Abc666 likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    These two are nobodies.

7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    was just parsing news, whether or not they are nobodies doesn't really matter, they are high-profile ex-employees

8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Two wrongs may not make a right but three pluses make a negative.

9. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  10. Ahmad Bilal

Ahmad Bilal Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon
    Now this isn't normal. I'm not the one for conspiracy theories, but there seems to be definitely something wrong going on behind the scene. Something still not out in the public. The last thing I remember when Intel was going strong, is its CEO/President or something getting virtually fired/resigned over a sexual misconduct. After that there has been only bad news it seems coming out of Intel.

All my sensors are telling me that something is up.

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Appears to be a power struggle within Intel. Dr. Murthy Renduchintala chief engineering officer, Jim Keller (resigned) and Raja Kodouri. Keller apparently resigned due to differences with Murthy over the 7nm issues. In Adoreds vid, he cites contacts within Intel who say Rajas position is being undermined and resources being taken away from him. Intel may not have a viable graphics division for much longer so Raja may resign before end of year. What a mess if true.

12. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Intel will leave improvement for AMD how generous.

13. Valkyr09

Valkyr09 Member

GPU:
    GTX 2070 Super
    Intel is trying to do it all. Making the processors as well as designing. I think they better stick to designing like AMD and leave TSMC/Samsung to manufacture. You have less risk. Anyway these are my thoughts.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The implications of Intel outsourcing process manufacturing may have far reaching repercussions.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ailure-heralds-end-of-era-for-u-s-chip-sector

15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    This is bad for the entire World. Can you imagine if China ever seized Taiwan? That would devastate the entire tech industry World wide. It's not good for anybody if the World's semiconductor fabs for the products that we all love are concentrated in a single nation; especially one that is vulnerable to Chinese depredation.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Am I the only one who's really disturbed by the rumour that Intel's GPU division is going to crap in the middle of all this and the power struggle between the shitter trying to become CEO, and everyone else? If it's true that their 3rd "gen" of the upcoming GPU series, which was the first ground-up new architecture under Raja, has been canceled... that's a kick in the nuts to all of us. The GPU industry is a festering crap-hole, any new, even semi-viable, option is desperately needed.

17. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Zero chance is an overstatement.

This situation is probably similar to the spectacular failure of NetBurst and the cancellation of Tejas/Jayhawk, when the initial goal of 5+ GHz on the 65 nm node never materialized.

However Intel does have a backup plan with a 14 nm port of the Willow Cove architecture in Rocket Lake S, and their 10 nm process node is finally on track, with 10 nm desktop Alder Lake S to arrive in late 2021.

And as others pointed out multiple times, Intel's 14 nm and 10 nm processers were agressively scaled for best possible transistor density, so these are comparable to the competition's 10 nm and 7 nm, and Intel's 7 nm would be slightly better than TSMC's 5 nm.

So although 7 nm node delay may result in another round of supply problems for Intel, they will have to botch 5 nm and 3 nm nodes as well before they start losing their enormous revenue and profits to TSMC or AMD.

Aso the following quote looks as if they suggest Intel should embrace contract manufacturing as a way to solve their production problems. That logic is flawed - TSMC thrives in contract manufacturing exactly because they have solid manufacturing processes, not the other way round. Delaying someone else's product is simply not acceptable in this industry.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Embra and Fox2232 like this.
  18. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    And you actually believe that ? 10nm was delayed for 5 years and it is still not competitive and has crap yields.
    Now intel says their 7nm is delayed. Inside leaks from intel repports 7nm being worse than their 10nm.

19. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Astyanax likes this.
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    correct me if i wrong but isnt intels 14nm equal to amd 7nm?