Rumor: Ampere based GeForce RTX 3000 series might arrive earlier than expected

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 23, 2020.

1. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I have a hard time getting excited for new GPU's as it looks like they enjoyed the mining prices too much and decided to make it the norm. I cant even get a 2070 today for the money I payed for my 1080 just befor the mining boom and I refuse to sidegrade for the same amount of money.

mohiuddin and Danny T like this.
  2. Danny T

Danny T Guest

GPU:
    I think they will milk the market till Navi2 comes out buuuut I'm not sure just how hard they will milk it.
    They do need the profits, but they cannot price them too high(think Turing mountain of crap prices) because they will then have to bring them down a lot. Which might/will make the people who bought Ampere at launch quite upset.
    I also expect today's cards performance to be matched by two steps down of the next cards.
    For example, the 3060 should be around 2080 performance level or else Navi2 will make them look wayy overpriced.
    I also expect AMD to come out swinging and go hard for Nvidia's income just like they did with Intel.
    Yes, Nv saw it happen from a spectator's view point, but they are about to become Intel.
    If and only if AMD's strategy is the same, of course.
    They could also milk the market by charging 10% less than Nv for the same performance level.
    Either or, I am 1000000% sure we will finally start to have decent performance for the money again, upgreaded to great once Navi3 & Hopper or whatever Nv will call their next gen cards.
    Oh, speaking of which, anyone thought why Nv needs to release Hopper just a year after Ampere? :)
    Yup, you guessed right. Thanks to AMD, who now are ramping up and won't have competition till 2022 probably on the cpu side and on the gpu side till sometimes next year when Nv can go heavy on 7nm.

I'm going to make a prediction which might or not hold water. We will have to chose between a more power hungry/hotter running Ampere for dlss 3.0(and above in the future, if supported) vs a more power efficient Navi2 without assistance from AL.

Come late next year, I fear the choice might be even harder :)

3. Danny T

Danny T Guest

GPU:
    I foresee the following : Nv arrogance vs AMD's cockiness ;)

4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    In between that video is removed by a mod.

Yes, "that" bird, which was right on the money with a lot of the predictions.

But tbh, true or not, it's about damn time for a good performance/price GPU, Pascal feels ancient by now, yet none of the new stuff since then beat it in monetary efficiency.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

I was with you until this line. Being ahead of Turing is meaningless. Whats next: Ahead of Fermi?
    Who cares about Turing. It will be between RDNA2 and Ampere.

I will when you actually dare to compare RDNA2 and Ampere :)

6. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    "Will be neck and neck with RDNA2, winning in some, losing in others, instead of beating it soundly."

Didn't I say that already ?
    In any case both will beat Turing, Navi, Vega, Pascal ... etc. by a large margin.
    RIP 1080 Ti, it was about time.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    @wavetrex

there you go again comparing Ampere with ancient arch. wth... compare AMPERE and RDNA2. % of perf and % perf/price

come to think of it "winning in some losing in some" means fuk all.
    you can win by 30% and still "lose in some"

predict now or stay silent forever :)

8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Fine.
    I bet that Top RDNA2 card will beat non-Titan top Ampere card (3080Ti?) in the majority of modern games, with the exception of those "NVIDIA the way it's meant to be played" ones.
    But the Ampere card will win in most synthetics (3DMark, Superposition)

I also predict that NVidia will enable DLSS 3.0 automatically in the background for a lot of games, basically cheating on resolution, but it will be discovered by the media and they will get bashed for it.
    Even so, NVidia will still outsell AMD 4:1 while being the slightly weaker and more expensive card.

I also predict I will be in one of those 80% NVidia buyers, simply because I have a high-end GSync monitor (actual GSync, not "compatible") and I intend to keep it for a few years more until microLED/OLED is more common.
    So sorry AMD, congrats in advance for (slightly) winning the GPU wars, but due to certain circumstances I will not be a customer this time.
    Maybe next round.

moo100times and Noisiv like this.
  9. k0vasz

k0vasz Active Member

GPU:
    nV GTX1060 6G
    Exciting times! Rumors might be true (ie. "big navi" will be in par with 3000 series), and nVidia wants to launch their line up as soon as possible, to get those who want the high-end performance. This way, by big navi launches, there will be no users left who'd spend a grand(ish) on a video card, so AMD would need to lower its price anyway and go way below 3080 prices - for a card which is ideally provides a somewhat same performance.
    But it could also happen that big navi cames first, like in early August - mind that there are literally no news about big navi or its launch date, but nVidia is in a hurry, so... who knows.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    same problem of drivers that won't work well for half a year after release :oops:

PlatinumPanther likes this.

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    They better launch 1st.
    If the rumors are remotely true that only a 72CU RDNA 2 can provide up to 50% better performance on a 2080ti. I would hope they would try to get out Ampere sooner rather then later.
    Because it's quite clear from the rumors that 72 CU RDNA 2 is on the low end of CUs.

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I don't like what I'm hearing about power consumption and heat. The more I think about it, I think I'm gonna hold off on upgrading until the 3060 Super series or whatever refresh they come up with next year likely. Surprisingly my 1660 Ti is still doing just fine even at 1440p in the majority of games I play. Now Cyberpunk will clearly put the hurt on it, but with ray tracing disabled I think I'll be alright. Who knows, just gotta wait and see. But soon we will indeed have a good old fashioned battle between AMD and Nvidia and that is exciting.

13. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I used to upgrade every new release, but the cost of these cards now i just skip a generation or 2. This 480 doesn't really cut it no more, so I'm in for an upgrade. Need to see what both camps have instore before I make my decision though.

14. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I'm getting a Fermi vibe from Ampere right now, from Samsung's supposedly less than stellar 8nm, to the innovative cooler Nvidia feels it needs on the reference cards. Reports of the 3080 eating up 320w, what does that mean for the Ti? Have they had to push things out of the comfy zone to compete on 8nm. It's fun to speculate. RDNA 2 is the more interesting product if for no other reason than AMD's ray tracing performance is an unknown quantity and how other machine learning capabilities the silicon is capable of will stack up against what Nvidia has already achieved. I know Playground games have a version of Forza Horizon 3 running using a form of machine learning image reconstruction, how will that stack up against DLSS? Personally for me it will be nice to see AMD competing again at the high end.

Maddness and jbscotchman like this.
  15. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    FIxed!

16. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Especially for gaming only, a good GPU by itself will cost as much as the Xbox Series X + PS5 together. And if you wait a bit, console games are actually not that expensive any more. If someone doesn't need a computer for the general usage, and can play shooters with a controller, PC gaming makes no sense.

17. Erzengel84

Erzengel84 Guest

GPU:
    Palit 1070 GameRock
    BUUUT if you like Games like Total War, CIV and so on you need your PC. So we will see what prices will be and if CPU bottlenecking will be an issue this Gen for 1440p with the 3080ti.
    I played open World Games on Console and it sucked for me. Even the upcoming PS5 / XBox will have massive Storage Issues which you will never have on a PC.
    I predict 400+ GB per Game if the really wanna use Unreal 5 with Cinematic Assets. Else the whole Nanite Tech doesn't make sense.

18. Ahmad Bilal

Ahmad Bilal Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon
    Well, I was just remarking that they are financially better positioned compared to their own past. So ideally speaking they should fix most of the common complaints of last few years (included any issues with drivers). I have not so far run into any issues btw, with my Vega64 (just saying)

19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Nothing fixed here. He's right actually. In term of performance the 5700XT is slightly better than a 2060 Super and cost less in my country. It's not too far from a 2070 Super and cost significantly less in my country (200$). If AMD can fix their drivers (and i've had no problem with them lately) and release a top card they'll be very competitive.

20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    ^The 5700XT currently has no competition at anywhere close to the same price.

Maddness likes this.