"Best" driver for Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dreamlord, Jul 23, 2020.

1. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    i would like to hear your recommendations about which drivers are supposed to be best for windows 7?

few days back i did fresh windows 7 installation and i'm currently using latest driver available (which is 451.67) but i'm experiacing small microstutters in nba 2k13.

so i would like to hear opinions with driver or range of older drivers is supposed to be best for windows 7?

btw, importanting thing to know is that i'm playing ONLY older games (fifa 14 is the newest one i'm playing due to my pc specs), so i don't care about new games optimisations, i need best optimisation for windows 7 and older games.

looking forward to all suggestions.

2. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Upgrade OS. Windows 7 is "unsupported" since 2020. That's the only and best advice. If you do not want it, go install a Linux distro to be safe.

3. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    it would be better if you didn't write anything than such unrelated "suggestion".

my question was which driver(s) to use with windows 7, not which OS should i use.

4. svan71

svan71 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    your asking advice for a 7 year old game for an unsupported os, good luck.

Smough and cryohellinc like this.

5. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 Ti
    Hi Dreamlord,

I have a x5670 driving a 1080ti and use 430.86 and it works fine for old games. Before that, I used 378.92. If you have a newer gpu, I don't know what to tell you, except it is easy to switch gpu drivers, and you can try older and newer ones to find one that works for your system and your games. Good Luck!

I tried Windows 10 on a identical ssd one weekend a couple of years ago, and it was sluggish, lagging alot, and noticably slower. 6 months later, my job converted from 7 to 10, and the same thing happened. Identical machine, new ssd instead of a hard drive though, and the same sluggishness and lagging with 10. (Plus MS rearranged the interface and controls to make it more confusing and annoying, just because they could...)

dreamlord likes this.
  6. cloakengaged

cloakengaged Member

GPU:
    AMD
    why do you think stutters are related to the latest nvidia driver?

run latencymon and see if there are serious latency spikes.

try turning hpet on/off

check your hardware temperature

make sure other processes/services are not using cpu in the background

also if youre using your entire RAM while playing games then i'd recommend you to upgrade win10 since it has better pagefile/ram optimizations.

this was the reason for me to upgrade win10.

i tried playing mass effect andromeda on my 4gb/win7 PC. was lagging and stuttering even on lowest settings. upgraded to win10 and finished the game on high settings with no issues.

not saying win10 will perform better for your hardware/games. but its worth to try if all else fails.

7. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I have no issues running old games (Skyrim, Xcom2, etc...) or new games with the current WHQL drivers Windows 7. A few days ago I also tried the Vulkan Beta Driver - 451.74 and they run very good. You haven't mentioned your hardware, but depending on your setup the issue likely is not the drivers.

8. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    my gpu is listed on my avatar ;)

9. Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 Ti
    Huh. I never saw anybody's equipment listing on the avatar until now. Apparently it doesn't show up unless you have an account.

Anyway, Dreamlord, I had a GTX 680 earlier and used 337.50 driver until it was replaced with the 1080ti. Good luck solving your problem.

10. First of all, I have a Pascal card here, so it might be unrelated to you.
    I use 446.14 at the moment and the last (very) good W7 driver I used was 430.64. If you are willing to go even more back, I'd recommend 378.92, that was the best W7 driver in a long time for me.

dreamlord likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Except 7 continues to be supported till 2024 through ESU.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The issue that affects any titles running in a dual screen and windowed presentation on 10 also affects 7, its just 7 doesn't have a windows hack forcing it.

• Several games randomly freeze for a few seconds during gameplay. Affected games include Assassin's Creed Origins, Planetside 2, Assassin’s Creed III, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, and Assassin’s Creed Syndicate. [3038632]
    lets stop advising the use of tools that end users do not know how to interpret in most cases.

especially since the known issue above causes high dpc/isr latency as a symptom.

13. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    reverting back to older driver = microstutter is gone (i will never update it again)!

conlusion = latest nvidia drivers are total mess!

thanks to all who contributed!

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Haven't had issues with latest drivers on my W7 drive.. Other than a bug with Aero/DWM requiring the Nvidia Display Container service to be enabled/disabled to enable Aero.
    If you have an older GPU there is an older driver that doesn't have the SGSSAA bug with OGL games. But we are talking GTX 9xx cards and earlier only.