TSMC will no longer accept orders from Huawei Starting September

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Yes the U.S gov't aren't angels by any means. They've committed many crimes and injustices themselves, but they're not unrepentantly wicked like the CCP is.

In today's times, information is power. All nations spy and collect information on not only other nations, but even their own citizens. The question however, is what do they do with that information and power? The CCP by all account actively attempts to steal IP from other countries in order to advance China, manipulate their currency to give them the advantage on exporting their products, foster unfair trade deals and they have what is inarguably the greatest mass surveillance system in the entire World to suppress the freedoms and liberties of their own citizens.

As powerful as America is, it hasn't abused its power in the way that China has, and continues to do.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  2. Thanks for your thoughts. I have no commentary on that. I want to remain.... as objective as possible. While 100% objectivity is likely impossible I tried my best with my post I honestly did. I think if I start saying “well no, or well yes or well actually” then I’ll get into an opinionated argument and I don’t know that that’s healthy for anyone but I understand you & appreciate you @Carfax

Carfax likes this.
  3. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Lots of whataboutism and CCP boot licking going on here. Shameful. I guess techy and nerdy people aren't always well educated and intelligent.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I won't reply on anything of substance because this forum is not the place, and I overstepped there. I would only like to say something about this:

1) You have no idea where the f*ck I'm from.
    2) The worst part about this is you believe that "people on the ground" have a better idea of what's going on than actual journalists or historians, as if any regime in this world ever disseminates real information to their citizens.
    3) The only thing I disputed was that the Soviet Union fell because of the "trade blockades", which is simply not true.

5. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    I just wanna say that there is no such thing as innocent people, except little children. We are all guilty at some level for the world we have. ;)

toyo likes this.
  6. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Can someone explain the "patent" excuse here? Makes no sense to me. TSMC is not allowed to sell to China because America told them not to, it sounds to me, and the patent thing is just some bullshit excuse to cover this foreign "do what we say or else" bullying order.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    China bullies other countries all the time. They have zero respect for intellectual property and patents.
    Dozens, if not hundreds, of Chinese companies owe foreign companies untold amounts of money.
    Their only limitation to what they steal is what they are able to manufacture. Since they manufacture so much, it happens far too often.
    So I can see the appeal in targeting the few areas Chinese factories can't cover.

carnivore likes this.
  8. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Maybe because TSMC is a Tawian company, and Taiwan was repeatedly threaten by PRC. The last time was when Taiwan openly side with pro-democracy and anti-PRC side of HK (yes, the same in the last elections won ~90% of seats and got 17 on 18 districts in HK).

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    geogan likes this.
  9. Sure, on the 15th of May following orders from the US Department of Commerce TSMC halted processing of new orders with their 2nd largest buyer (1st being Apple) Huawei.

This comes following America's expansion of rules that now require business licenses for sales to Huawei specifically which employ American technology (patents). Thus far such a license has not been issued by the United States to TSMC

For now TSMC has a 3 month grace period to complete existing/past orders between themselves and Huawei.

geogan likes this.
  10. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Taiwan is only independent because America defends it, hence America tells Taiwan to do something to control Chinese power it's hardly gonna say no, both because they need America and because they want to limit Chinese power.

As for US vs China well the US is hardly the land of the free (unless you are rich and powerful) but it's not China who are currently chucking hundreds of thousands in concentration camps to be re-educated or killed, or crushing all resistance in Hong-Kong.

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I do not really care about US vs PRC nor I support anyone of them, this kind of "big-guy games" must end.
    Taiwan is not a military dictatorship any-more, it's a democracy and I do not see way they should not have the right to exists
    As for HK, there was a deal between UK and PRC for HK autonomy, PRC broke that deal creating this situation and increasing over 90% the population of HK that politically rejection against PRC in the last elections. If it wasn't for PRC economic power in a minute the entire UNO would be in HK declaring the independency of a new nation.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Agreed.
    But it certainly looks like Chinese do not give a fuk about legal interpretations given by the original drug smugglers (aka UK) who stole the territory from them in the 1st place, and whose own adherence to legality has been widely known as gunboat diplomacy.

Gee it looks like Chinese themselves want to run their own country.

13. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    It's called winning a war, and it's been going on forever. Gee. Can you do me a favor and divide up the world's land and let me along with every country know what area YOU'VE decided they are allowed to occupy and for how long?

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    OK dog I'll call it a war next time...
    (Jesus...so much emo for calling steal a steal)

And you say countries been going into wars forever to protect rights of smugglers to push drugs? Roger that. Carry on.