The XBox One X

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Mike Z, Dec 14, 2017.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well some nice little insights into back compat on the X series console....

BC chat starts at 15:35

Some nice little snippets of info on new BC feature....
    XS will run games at the highest setting all times even if the game was made with dynamic res,
    Auto HDR retro fitted to older games even way back to original xbox games,
    MS first party games you own on the xbox one will get you the XS version on your new XS, and that also means Gamepass versions. :)

itpro and Redemption80 like this.
  2. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    All xbox one and one s games who got xbox one x enhanced patches, had 0 extra cost. And there are lots of them released after x's release. Hell even some 360 games were patched for xbox one x. Microsoft is the best company for supporting games. I really enjoy Assassins creed 1, Red dead redemption 1 and witcher 2 aok, gears of war 1,2 and judgment, so many old 360 titles upgraded for xboxonex. I am sure all people who are gonna purchase Series X are gonna enjoy a tremendous amount of library and well optimized games. I am so happy with Microsoft's console, zero regrets.

3. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I'm wondering what kind of support Xbox One X will continue to get, especially if this Lockhart console is weaker, but newer. Would be nice for them to finally use all the power in the X instead of just bumping resolution.

XP-200 likes this.
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Well i have been playing through RDRII on the XBX over the last few days, and i admit i was not really taken by it the first time i tried it, but once i got out of the snow and into the actual game i have been very impressed to say the least on what is being done on the XBX, i mean the dynamic weather is jaw dropping on its own, just stopping to watch as the storm clouds roll in and seeing the entire eenviroment and lighting around you being impacted by subtle lighting hues of HDR is almost a work of art, and the sunsets are astonishing, just amazing what they did with this console considering it is still running on quite old tech like the Jaguar cpu, but it does point out that old tech with good optimisation of software can pull off amazing things, it is just a shame the gaming industry just pushes higher specs to brute force their broken unfinished games onto the gamer.

Serotonin likes this.

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    i'm gonna have to try this game again. I have it on X and PC. I didn't give the X version a fair chance since I wanted to play it on PC. But the PC version is the epitome of why I'm leaning toward console only this coming round. Just a buggy, unoptimized mess that was a quick cash in. I'm also starting to appreciate HDR, which I only have available on my TV. Legit HDR monitors are still 1k. Insane. PC gaming is just pricing me out of the hobby with more investment than return these days. FF7 Remake was the first game where I noticed a big difference between HDR and non HDR and ever since, I've been paying more attention to it.

XP-200 likes this.
  6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^Some of the hdr effects on the games lighting are phenomenal, from the hazy sunlight coming through the fog, to the moon popping out from behind a dark cloud and illuminating the grassy plans in a errie moonlight, to the lamps on wagons and horse riders, really all impressive, and even moreso when you think this feature was a broken mess at the launch of this game.

And spot on about PC gaming, which is in the tight greedy grip of Nvida and Intel, and if the ps5 prices from the latest leak are true then it's a no brainer to grab a console that can do 4k and RT for that price.

Serotonin likes this.
  7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    What HDR setting did you play it on?

8. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    HDR is super nice, probably one of the things that impressed me most about Gears 5, was a great implementation.

Serotonin likes this.
  9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400

The tv picks HDR game by default and in the game itself i have HDR style on game, peek brightness at 1300, as i like the whites to really pop, and paper white at 80 because seeing as most of us are sitting with a lcd tv's and their horrible black levels, i feel the 80 seems to give me some better black level depth on everything that is supposed to be in shadow, dark or black, not much, but the best it seems to offer.........but these setting are for my tv and eyes, you might find a better settings to suit your setup.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    Serotonin likes this.
  10. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I just beat Gears 5 on PC recently and i'll say, that was a well optimized, really solid looking game. I may have to play it again on gamepass on the X to experience the HDR.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I just cannot get excited about the Xbox Series X as an owner of a reasonably powerful gaming PC (GTX 1080 Ti graphics card but rest built in June 2013!) and a barely-used-these-days Xbox One X.

The Xbox One X is, undoubtedly, a fine piece of engineering as I am sure the Xbox Series X will be (though I personally do not like the boxy design) but a console stands out based on its exclusive games and this is where the Xbox falls short in my opinion. When the original Xbox launched it was amazing, it felt like the Dreamcast 2 with support from SEGA and many exclusive games from them and Microsoft. It was an exceptional forward-thinking console for its day with a hard drive and online gameplay, even download content for games. The Xbox 360 was less revolutionary but still solid. With the Xbox One, Microsoft fell into the trap of thinking its existing franchises (Halo, Gears and Forza) were enough but I can play these on PC and with better framerates and graphics than on console so suddenly the Xbox One was a console without any real decent exclusives. It became a lot less appealing and so far I have not seen anything of the Xbox Series X that suggests things will be different.

This time I will be buying just the PS5 rather than the Xbox and PS as I have always done previously. Yeah, I know some PS4 games such as Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn are on PC (or soon will be) but these are months after the console release so they still were still exclusives for a time. In a way, Microsoft releasing their Xbox games on PC at the same time is the best thing they have ever done but it means there is no reason for owning their hardware; hardware that requires a subscription to play their games online, something that is not required on PC.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    You are in for a treat on the X with Gears 5 as the 4k and HDR is some of the best i have seen, just completed it last night, really hammering through those gamepass game at the moment. :)

Serotonin likes this.
  13. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I have to disagree on one thing. Xbox never had much in the way of exclusives. the original xbox was so limited of exclusives people renamed it the Halo tv adapter. 360 followed this with mainly halo and gears. The issue now is, ms bought up some devs, they'll have exclusives but those will ultimately probably also release on PC. I do agree with you that the Xbox X is powerful but lacks essential software. I do find the HDR appealing though in certain games. It makes a game look much more visually appealing than on PC without HDR. Depending on the game of course. But, my plan is also to get a PS5 and upgrade my PC.

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    So it looks like the Xbox One X and S have been discontinued. I'm still very curious to see what kind of future support the Xbox One X gets, especially if the rumors of lockhart being weaker are true.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^It will be more uptodate tech and will of course offer RT support, something the present S or XBX can't do, so even this base console will offer new features over the present S and XBX, plus having having just two SKU on sale will help RT take off on the consoles as HDR and 4k UHD have done, to the extent even Sony now have both in the PS5.

Now i just need MS to make the Forza games support VR and i am sorted. :)

Serotonin likes this.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Hmmm, just some exclusives off the top of my head, all of which I loved:

Blinx: The Time Sweeper (very underrated puzzle game IMO)
    Blinx 2 (not quite as good but still fun)
    Amped
    Amped 2 (loved both of these superb snowboarding games)
    Jet Set Radio Future (technically an revamped port of the Dreamcast game but at this point that console was long dead so felt new and exciting at the time)
    Dead or Alive 3
    Dead or Alive Ultimate
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer (far from perfect but I really enjoyed this)
    Blood Wake (fun boat combat game)
    Forza Motorsport
    Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
    Links 2004 (Microsoft golf game, was rather good as I recall)
    Fable (disappointing after all the hype but not without its charms)
    NFL Fever (Microsoft American Football game)
    Jade Empire
    Project Gotham Racing
    Project Gotham Racing 2 (yeah, started on Dreamcast as Metropolis Street Race but this was still a superb racing game by the now-defunct Bizarre Creations)
    Quantum Redshift (Wipeout clone with outstanding graphics for the time)
    Rallisport Challenge (good rally game but eclipsed by...)
    Rallisport Challenge 2 (... one of the best rally games ever made IMO and never came to PC which is a shame)
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 (fun third-person tactical shooter)
    Conker Live & Reloaded (beautiful revamp of the classic N64 game with online multiplayer)
    Yager (really enjoyed this SF shooter)
    Voodoo Vince (brilliant platform game now available on PC)
    TransWord Snowboarding (great snowboarding game from Housemarque)
    Midtown Madness 3
    Crazy Taxi 3
    Crimson Skies (brilliant cyberpunkish plane combat game)
    Ninja Gaiden (classic, need I say more?)
    Halo
    Halo 2
    Panzer Dragoon Orta
    Grabbed by the Ghoulies (one of Rare's weakest games IMO but still fun and visually it was nice)
    Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee

I suppose what I am getting at is that, for me, the Xbox stood out as a fantastic console because I enjoyed so many of its games, and this was coming from the Dreamcast which had died a premature death. However, the support for Xbox from SEGA along with these new franchises from Microsoft made the machine so memorable for me and I love it despite it being another console that had a short lifespan. The PS2 was such a disappointment in comparison to the Xbox with jaggy, shimmery visuals and no hard drive or online support. It had great games, sure, but most were pretty ugly visually due to developers struggling with the complex hardware. The Xbox 360 never quite achieved the same wow factor as the original Xbox for me and felt iterative. The Xbox One was even worse relying on sequels to Forza, Gears and Halo which will the switch to PC support meant ultimately that this was a rather pointless console for me.

Serotonin likes this.
  17. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Ah crap, forgot about RT. Well....guess I should sell the X while it's still worth something then. Want to play a few games because of HDR, but ...eh...I have a PS4 Pro for that I guess. Hate to sit on a system if I can get a few bucks for it still to put into upgrading my PC.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Yeah, i am most definetly getting rid of the pro towards the PS5 and happily saying goodbye to my own private jumbo jet, and the XBX i will stick in the bedroom as it's a perfect quiet 4k HDR media device for optical and streaming.

Now we just need to see the cost of each. ha

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Halo does not look Next Gen. Destiny 2 looks better.