LG Electronics Launches UltraGear 27GN950 4K IPS / 144Hz / HDR600 gaming monitor.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    If this have been a 32" then I would have bought it asap, but the 27" is just stupid for 4K so ones again they seem to be able to mess up another potential gaming monitor. Damn them all

Carfax, Stingray and Solfaur like this.
  3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Every time I see a new monitor post I hold my breath and am like "man, maybe this is it" but for every single one there's drawbacks. If it's not the size, it's the curve, if it's not the curve it's no g-sync, or something else etc.

:oops:

4. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I can confirm. I used 4K 28" for 2-3 years. Now I have 1440p" 27" (practically this same LG monitor but in 1440p). I don't miss 4K at all.

However, I also have doubts about a 32" monitor. (No matter the resolution). I'm not sure I'd be comfortable playing at 32".
    27" it's already big for the distance I use.

Another example is my 4K 55" TV. I still prefer to play at 1440p 27" from desk than 4k 55" from sofa.

5. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    i almost liked this monitor till i found out it doesn't have hdmi 2.1, its only 2.0
    i would prefer a 32" 4k but id still be happy with 27" 4k
    Cant stand the stupid curved nonsense so was happy this didn't have that and is reasonably priced but lack of hdmi 2.1 ruins it so its another pass

6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Does this "nano" ips thing improve black glow? or is just a gimmick to qualify for 98% of DCP-3?

7. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    My thoughts as well. Have a nice BenQ 31.5" 4K monitor for my xbox, but it's only 60hz. Great picture and form factor, 27" is too small.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I've become less and less impressed with three things:

1) Curved monitors
    2) Widescreen (1.78:1 ratios)
    3) Stupid-looking stands :)

This monitor (as capable as it may or may not be) kinda ticks most of the things that do not impress me at all.

9. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Dear Santa,

I want a 2K, 144Hz, 98%+ DCI-P3, Mini led back-lit monitor, capable of DisplayHDR 1000, somewhere from 27-32 inches, and is not curved. I would prefer it had a built in bias light on the back that shines in the dominate color on the screen like the Philips TV's ambilight.

Thanks.

10. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    ^ Add affordable to your wish list as well. The rumor that Asus' and Acers PG32UQX and X32 are $3,499.99 is asinine!

Solfaur likes this.

11. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Send this to Philips. One never knows!

12. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    Same here, i dont get why they keep on trying 27'' 4k to me its way to small, 32'' is the minimum imo that 4k is worth, hope we see one soon from LG.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    4k has to be the proper size and distance to be appreciated. At 27" 4k is pointless since fine details are difficult to make out on such small screen size. 1440p is more practical at that size.
    4k 55" at several feet away is also pointless because too far to make out the fine details, 1080p would be fine from several feet away.
    32-43" is about perfect for 4k for desktop usage (not on desktop, but wall mounted just above it).

14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    LOL Well not sure I care about it being cheap but yeah not over 3K either that's just nonsense. We can buy a 65" OLED TV for that price.

15. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Not a single mention of backlight technology => some shitty cheap single source backlight (no full-array, mini-LED or OLED level lighting)

Only 400 nits (600 only on small window), and with no proper backlight that means horrible blooming.

And yes 4K in a 27" => too small

16. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    we already have like a million monitors like this, why the hell do they keep coming out? samsung at least went for 240hz, for whatever thats worth

one would think saturating the market would yield lower prices but they just keep going up anyway, imagine the prices for FALD on steroids(mini led)... just to have a bit less haloing here and there

17. Enterprise24

Enterprise24 Active Member

GPU:
    1080Ti FTW3 S2716DG
    I hope they add hardware calibration to ultrawide also. Just bought i1 Display Pro Plus but I will not go back to 16:9 even if it is 4K.
    I guess it is 14 bit LUT on this monitor ?

18. YD3

YD3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    tell me which other brand has this all of feature at 4K, also same price, where is it?
    im so glad finally this cheap monitors with enough feature to buy was released, and i can stop using my oled tv which too much collour make my eyes tired maximum 2 hours of gaking because too much beautiful and too much collour.

19. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I look at these specs and they're hitting all the bells and whistles but why does it always have to be a 27" size screen? How come they don't do this spec with a 32" or 43" ?

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    ugh why isp I would of bought that as my next monitor cause it 27" and everything i want in monitor 32" is to bigger for monitor 2 feet from my face, ISP have trashy black and black level and tend to be worse monitors compared to TV for somereason. it one many reason I aviod them like the plaque.

AndI dont care what any one says 27" at 4k look amazing on monitor that s 2 feet in front of you. you need higher resolutions on larger screen to get the same amazing picture you would get a smaller screen. Not everyone is able to see this though.

And then I saw the price... I would rather by 50-55 UHD tv for the price frack for price I rather by the card that can push that 4k first

for these prices they should be Calibrating the monitor color to industry standard before they ever leave the manurfature

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020