Ethernet randomly disconnects

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by sverek, Jul 15, 2020.

1. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I have been experience this odd issue with ethernet disconnecting for short time (2-5 seconds) and restoring to normal.

I have changed LAN port on my router and cable and issue still happening. Wi-Fi and other PCs seem to be stable.

Could it be motherboard LAN failing? I use P8Z68-V that I bought 9 years ago. Just not sure if it possible for LAN adapter to fail for short period of time and coming back.
    Is it possible to log hardware issue with LAN? Anybody experience similar to this?

EDIT:
    I checked Windows log and get this error:

Code:
    Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
     Network link is disconnected.
    This error also happened when I manually disconnected ethernet cable and plugged it back.

Could it bad LAN connection on motherboard side? Is it worth buying a cheap PCIe network card?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Did you try reinstalling the LAN drivers?

sverek likes this.
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Tried throwing the latest Intel network driver suite at it whatever version is the latest before support for this particular chip got dropped? (Latest for this is 25.1.1 now but 25.x dropped support a number of older models for example.) Alternatively going into the network connector settings and seeing about disabling any sleep mode or similar could also help though yeah after nine years the hardware might be hitting some issues too so working around the problem might be temporary at best.

EDIT: Unsure if some OS update could also have some known network issue, think that's more bios on some of the newer AMD boards that I'm mixing up recent problem reports about. :)
    (Wake mode and such functionality.)

EDIT: USB could be a possibility as well going with wireless instead but I'm not too up to date on how well these have developed and what's recommended plus pricing and speeds. :)

Or even USB to wired. At that age though that's 2.0 but 10/100 should work.

[​IMG]

Maybe some comparisons and info on quality and pricing and long as it's not USB 3.1 C type it should work as a option if the motherboard connectivity is starting to give out.
    (But hopefully it's just the drivers or some quirk and there's no need for additional hardware or workarounds like USB and potential downsides or getting a PCI-E add-in network card.)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    sverek likes this.
  4. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Do you use shielded cables?
    What's the distance between the router and your computer? (length of cable)
    Do you "cross" any power source with your LAN cable? I mean do you route your network cables together with power cables somewhere?
    Could be cross talk.

sverek and mbk1969 like this.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It is, IMO. (Maybe not the cheapest, though.)

sverek and 386SX like this.
  6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Thank you very much for replies!

Gonna try it. Windows10 automatically installs drivers, so it might be a bit tricky.

I check bios options and disable non-essential network features, I also disabled power saving for the LAN in windows settings.
    USB LAN adapter is more expensive than PCIe LAN card, I guess I go with later. However USB LAN adapter can be used with laptops and other PCs, so might be handy in future.
    Is there noticeable delay by passing Ethernet over USB? Like for FPS gaming.

Not sure how to tell if cables are shielded. 1st cable was about 50cm, another one I am trying now is 1meter. And both are different in shape.
    I don't attach cables together, they might be touching at 1 point.

Yeah, if problem keep on happening, I guess I could spend around $7 on a LAN card. Don't want to invest much into old PC.

7. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    It should be written on the cable.
    Rule of thumb: if it is "sloppy" and has almost no resistance if you bend it it is most likely UTP class (unshielded).
    In this case I would recommend to try any other cable which is not UTP.

If you run this with CMD:
    ping -t 8.8.8.8

Do you observe any packet loss? Let it run for some minutes or steady in the background. If a disruption happens again check the cmd if there happens packet loss just in the moment of disconnect or probably some time before (or any other sign like "ping goes up").
    If you see ping going up and then after some pings you get disconnected, there is a good chance of the cable being the issue.
    If it suddenly disconnects "without further notice" (it just drops the connection) then I would guess the error somewhere else.

My next recommendation then would be to use a live Linux for a day or two and watch if the error returns.
    If yes, hardware.
    If no, driver or OS.

anticupidon and sverek like this.
  8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Yeah, I use ping to check stability of network. And yes, there were packet loss / unreachable error as Ethernet got disconnected. Been stable for a few days now, but I don't use it much.
    I'll check how it behaves on Linux if everything fails.

386SX likes this.
  9. Does your router's log show loss of connection WAN-side?

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    No, router works fine as well as Wi-Fi, when Ethernet on PC fails, the LED on LAN port turns off.
    So its obvious Ethernet connection loss between router and PC.

I tried different LAN port on router and it happened, it doesn't happen with other PC (Ethernet) I am using whole day.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.

11. Could said PC be overloading that router? Is there something happening on this PC that isn't on the other one you mentioned. What does the Router's log show at time of crash etc

EDIT: consider firmware reversion

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I'll check router log, good call. If there no router log, its probably PC side.

13. Woot! :)

14. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Why you no green?

15. Hard to argue with three cupcakes... :rolleyes:

edit: plus sprinkles

jbscotchman and sverek like this.

16. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    What? :D

Did I miss something here? Cupcakes? Sprinkles? :eek:

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I when I original built this pc I would randomly get Ethernet disconnects, the disconnects didn't come from the router or the cable, it was coming from pc side things, after look at event viewer for while and seeing what was happen, I noticed the disconnects happen, at same time DNS servers if they went down windows which for some reason triggered a disconnected this was 2 years about and few windows 10 builds back, I no longer get them, Still using the same router ( which isp provided router) as such it dont get "updates" atlest my doesnt get updates and same cables as then. except now I not getting those disconnects from Ethernet and I have same Ethernet drivers for card as day Installed everything.

Could be windows issue causing the disconnect could be something else. I would start with replacing the cable if still happens I would eye the router if router is show discconnect on it log for ports it on, if nothing I would eye windows glitch? then possible port issue? which if part of Motherboard good luck.

I have cat 5 Shield cables running along the wall and under metal plate to get to router along with few power lines running along them and under that same plate, cause router and surge protector is in my closet, and everything is fine

sverek likes this.
  18. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    But still nobody got back to the sprinkles. I love sprinkles. What about sprinkles?
    In Germany there exist such tasty things like "sprinkle cake" ("Streuselkuchen").

Sooo ... again .... what was that about sprinkles? Don't let me die dumb, ENLIGHTEN ME GODDAMMIT! :D

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Thank for reply.
    I will keep DNS issue in mind. I already changed cables and there only error log I get on PC side. Other devices that share the same network are stable.

Unfortunately my router doesn't have log function, so I can't see if there any errors happening on router side.

20. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    No, you really can't argue with that.