Microsoft halts production Xbox One X and Xbox One S

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I assume the new consoles with their uptodate tech and of course RT will be the starting block for gamers, and i am looking forward to seeing RT in games as i won't be seeing it on PC anytime soon due to the costs. lol

3. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    I thought they were going to continue it and maintain some backward (forward?) compatibility.

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I expected them to keep these around as the poor man's option since they probably have the costs of manufacturing pretty low by now with all the die shrinks and revisions over the years.

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah this is indeed a good idea considering we are close to the new console release.

6. Obsidian_Oasis

Obsidian_Oasis Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070s
    Make sense, though.

Why have two console models (it's not like the Xbox 1 series was loved by the majority) if you are trying to cut cost so you can sell the next-gen at a more competitive crushing price for Sony to match?

All this proves is that the rumors that MS will be charging around $299-$399 are true.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    New consoles can play games from old ones. That's all backward compatibility you need.
    Maybe for the low end version. If they sold big one for that price, even I would got it. Though, I would prefer to wait for version with 20GB of RAM.

8. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    And people who buy a one X now, what chances they have to get 2 years warranty?

9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    At this point the xbox one X is not more a cost, production costs is well below selling cost. Stopping the production is not a way to save money but to use the resources to produce the other, that you won't sell yet for 3-4 months.

This is necessary to have a bunch if availability a launch and i think it will cost a couple of notes more than the ps5

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No problem at all. They'll keep something in storage. And in worst case, people get their money back.

11. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    No money, they simply will get an Xbox Series X/S depending if they have an X/S Xbox one.;)

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Sometimes shops do that too. It depends what is economically viable for them.

itpro likes this.
  13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Sure that depends on their policy, but it is better to give you a new one believe me. They buy their products much cheaper than you do. If they give you back the money you spent on that product, they will be at a loss. I wouldn't do that. :)

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Your warrenty rights have not changed, here in the UK/EU if you buy a new XBX today from a retailer you still get your 2 years warrenty, just like any device you buy.

15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    In eu is the law of any electronic device you buy to come with 2 year warranty . And replace with the same or better or fix it , if none of these are possible they have to provide full refund. I would like to talk about usa too but i am not well versed in the law there to even talk about. Pretty much if you want to sell electronics you are required to provide 2 year warranty minimum by the law .

16. gdallsk

gdallsk Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    The Title is slightly misleading, Xbox One S normal is still going to be in production, its only the Xbox One SAD that's going away.

17. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Is not that they earn that much on a single xbox. 10% 15%? i do not think they have much more discount that that.

18. Part of what helps vendors, OEMs, partners like Microsoft are existing "LOBs" lines of business. These reduce cost too. Different things get exchanged in addition to funds: adjustments to existing contracts, sharing of technology, research and development in a partner program said companies may have a vested interest in. Time, circumstance and necessity effectuate outcome in addition to the manufacturer price versus consumer cost.

A company has intellectual property and wants to protect it. Not every company can produce 100% of their intellectual property solely themselves. Companies have partners; licensing gets drawn up, manufacturing to produce licensed components in return. Read about "symbiotic relationships in business" ... not all symbiotic relationships by definition are parasitic.

I find this subject interesting, I worked for Apple, Microsoft and Bank of America in the past.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2020
  19. Herem

Herem Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    If you think that MS are going to release their new console at $299-$399 I'm afraid you're probably going to be in for an unpleasant surprise. I wouldn't be surprised if it was close to double that.

20. Well... stranger things have happened...