Microsoft Details Its Velocity Architecture Behind the Xbox Series X:

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 14, 2020.

1. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I believe only PS5 exclusives will really showcase any possible benefits of their custom NVMe. In my case, if I want PS5 exclusives, I'd buy a PS5, for the games, not because it has faster storage.

2. almighty15

almighty15 Member

GPU:
    8800GT SLI

UE5 didn't use any LOD's, and LOD has always been more about saving memory then performance as in some games increasing draw distance doesn't impact on frame rate all that much.

The GPU renders what is in memory and what ends up on the screen is a result of that. You phrased it incorrectly, not me.

And as an FYI it is entirely possible for something on screen to be flushed from memory once it's been rendered by the GPU.

And PC has it's own issues, so bring them up is pointless unless you want to start detailing what problems it has to deal with.

3. almighty15

almighty15 Member

GPU:
    8800GT SLI
    A game doesn't have to be exclusive to offer better textures, animation, reduced/no pop-in........those are just variables in a games config file.

It helps that PS5's SSD is set-up like a PC SSD.

Series-X's is the one that's a funky set-up and won't be used in all but exclusives.

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    So a multiplatform developed game will saturate the PS5 NVMe while having to dial it all back for PC and Xbox. I'd love to see this.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    You are seriously talking out of your ass on this one. First off the UE5 demo did use LoD, it was just much more subtle than what we're accustomed to because of the nanite technology and the faster streaming.

Secondly, LoD has always been first and foremost about optimizing performance. Memory efficiency is a part of that so they aren't distinct. There's no point in having huge amounts of detail in a scene if your framerate tanks down into the single digit territory.

I never said it was impossible. Cut scenes probably do that a lot because the player isn't typically in control of the camera and it's a linear scripted event. Heck, it may even be pre-rendered. But in a regular gameplay scenario, the GPU will have anything in the surrounding vicinity of the player in VRAM to have it quickly accessible in case it needs to be rendered, and even if it is rendered, it's not flushed unless the memory usage algorithms dictate that it should be.

You're quite defensive of the consoles I see! :D

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I've noticed that you've implied several times throughout this thread that the PS5's SSD somehow allows it to have higher quality animations. What makes you think that's true? o_O

The animation quality is dictated by the CPU, so I don't see how faster storage would improve the animation quality.

7. almighty15

almighty15 Member

GPU:
    8800GT SLI
    Where did I say dial it back on PC? Why are you putting words in to my mouth?

8. almighty15

almighty15 Member

GPU:
    8800GT SLI
    Animation is processed on the CPU but high quality animation requires a lot or storage space.

Unless you think giving a modern CPU animation data from a game released in the year 2000 will result in animation of the same quality we have in today's games? As you know...... 'the quality is dictated by the CPU" :rolleyes:

You don't seem to have a grasp of how games function do you?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Your average PC gamers storage is equal to PS5 storage capabilities? What's the big deal then :oops:

10. almighty15

almighty15 Member

GPU:
    8800GT SLI
    EPIC have clearly stated in the UE5 demo there was no LOD's with Nanite as it renders down to the pixel level.

You do know there's more memory that a GPU can access then just VRAM right? Internal caches are generally flushed after each frame.

What has me talking about PC's storage and I/O got to do with defending consoles? You're getting a little off topic.

11. almighty15

almighty15 Member

GPU:
    8800GT SLI
    PC has the advantage of using more RAM to pre-load......Series-X doesn't have that luxury.

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    But PC's don't have unified memory...

13. almighty15

almighty15 Member

GPU:
    8800GT SLI
    And that's really held it back from being the most powerful platform over the years hasn't it :rolleyes:

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Ah perfect. I was reading into this like the PS5 would give a huge update, but you're saying I have it already, as I have plenty of RAM. Good to know

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You have simple problem. Bad memory. That's reason why you do not remember official statements from EPIC. And one of them is that unlike PC's GPUs, their method will not cache unnecessary data into memory. And that it will enable them to use more memory per frame.

You are not being viewed negatively for having different opinion. But you give out clear indication that your opinions are not based on actual knowledge of basic HW principles.
    Instead you repeat propaganda without critically thinking about it. And sadly, you are not even aware of technical part of what that propaganda used to support such claims.

16. almighty15

almighty15 Member

GPU:
    8800GT SLI
    Good job on not addressing a single one of my points.

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Oh it's storage space now? So the XSX will have the advantage here according to you, since it comes standard with a 1TB SSD while the PS5 has an 825GB SSD :D

This is a nonsensical statement, because a game released in the year 2000 will have animation quality that was created for a CPU from that time (P4, Athlon etcetera) that is vastly inferior to what we have today.

The point is, that animation quality is dictated by the CPU (especially single threaded performance), because the CPU has to process it. A fast CPU will be able to playback more complex animations much faster, smoother and more fluidly than a slower CPU, which is why I referred to the quality. One of the biggest reasons why animation quality (and physics) hasn't improved at the same rate as graphics in the consoles, is because the PS4 and Xbox One both have comparatively much weaker CPUs than what is available on PC.

Forgive me, I had no idea I was talking to an expert! :D

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It addressed them all. Opinions not based on actual knowledge of inner workings of HW. You imagine magical performance boost from alleviating storage bottleneck that does not exist and believe "improving" statements that that would actually lead to other kinds of bottlenecks.

I have no reason to play "make belief" with you. Anything and everything that you are posting has been addressed multiple times in other threads.
    And that's has been done in arguments with and against people who has several magnitudes more knowledge than you shown here.
    There we had entertained different scenarios and performance angles. Can you guess result?
    Only bottleneck PS5's storage subsystem alleviates will be artificial bottleneck that will be created to show difference. And that will come at pretty high cost which will pay user through unnecessarily wasted space on storage.

19. almighty15

almighty15 Member

GPU:
    8800GT SLI
    Every generation the size of the animation data increases, it increases because it's captured at a higher quality. This is what decides the quality of the animation, not the CPU.

You seem to have a problem understanding the simple things.

20. almighty15

almighty15 Member

GPU:
    8800GT SLI
    You have no understanding which is why you're simply playing the 'You don't understand' card and running away without having a rational discussion.