Grant Imahara, ‘Mythbusters’ Host, Dies at 49

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by 0blivious, Jul 14, 2020.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    C'Mon? Jesse Combs, and now Grant, too? I really hate this timeline.

Grant Imahara dies at 49

Grant Imahara, an electrical engineer and former host on the Discovery Channel show “Mythbusters” has died at 49, a spokesperson for Discovery has confirmed to Variety.

“We are heartbroken to hear this sad news about Grant. He was an important part of our Discovery family and a really wonderful man. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family,” the Discovery spokesperson said in a statement.

No other details about Imahara’s death were provided.

Imahara co-hosted more than 200 episodes of “Mythbusters,” beginning with season 3 in 2005 through 2014. He joined the show after an invitation from host Jamie Hyneman and was a part of the Build Team with Kari Byron and Tory Belleci. He replaced welder Scottie Chapman. Imahara was best known for making the robots and other electronics needed for the experiments on the hit show.

Fellow “Mythbusters” host Adam Savage paid tribute to Imahara on Twitter.

“I’m at a loss. No words. I’ve been part of two big families with Grant Imahara over the last 22 years. Grant was a truly brilliant engineer, artist and performer, but also just such a generous, easygoing, and gentle PERSON. Working with Grant was so much fun. I’ll miss my friend,” Savage wrote.

https://twitter.com/donttrythis/sta...-imahara-mythbusters-host-dies-035126793.html

Imahara went on to host “White Rabbit Project” on Netflix with Byron and Belleci, in which the team investigated topics like jailbreaks, superpower technology, heists, and World War II weapons through scientific experiments and builds. The show ran for one season in 2016 and was not renewed.

Before making his way onto TV, Imahara worked for Lucasfilm’s THX division and later joined Industrial Light and Magic. He worked there for nine years and contributed to movies like the three “Star Wars” prequels, “Jurassic Park,” “The Matrix Reloaded,” “The Matrix Revolutions,” “Galaxy Quest” and “Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.”

He also appeared on “Drunk History,” “Battlebots,” “Sharknado 3,” the web series “Star Trek Continues” and the Marvel animated series “Avengers Assemble.”

Keitosha and dark_surge like this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Rip remember him from the show.

dark_surge and Brasky like this.
  3. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Incredibly saddening. Mythbusters was all I really watched back when I was in college and onward.

4. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Just recently got my kids into Mythbusters. We've been watching a few episodes a week through Amazon. Such a bummer to hear. :(

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    That hit me right in the childhood when I heard. He seemed like a nice/cool guy and I always hoped to see him again. Damn shame.

6. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Mythbusters is one of only 2 non sports tv shows I have liked in the past ~30 years. Grant seemed like a great guy on the show and everything I have read indicates he was someone you would want as your neighbor or co-worker. Very sad times.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    R.I.P....