Review: Intel Core i7-10700K processor (8c/16t)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 9, 2020.

1. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    just read and i also interested with pricing, seems kinda hard to believe
    based https://averagefinder.com/averageFinder.php?Search=intel 7700k
    as far the pricing seems not totally lie
    $280.10 (US)
    Average

$182.54 Average for ryzen 1800x

but that doesnt mean sell quick(high demand) either
    i think there tons intel platform that holding 2nd market price, considering back on 7700k, intel still leading
    might be different stories for last 2years cpu lineup

2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Newegg here is the US is presently selling a refurbished 7700k for $159.99.

3. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
  4. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    "Sold and Shipped by KRAMBU"

So now we're using prices of scalpers to show the "value" of a product ?

Why not put an ad yourself for $999 and say that is the normal price of a 7700K ? I'm sure you'll have lots of customers...

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I long looked for an intel i7 3770k because it was the highest CPU my mame machine motherboard could use, and yes it was super expensive. If you need to replace a CPU but you do not want to change all the system, you may want to pay an higher price for a cpu. But no, intel CPU are not apple phones prices compared to android devices prices.

They are valuable as much as any other CPU that has frequent swap of socket.
    The last cpu type on the AM4 will keep the price high as well.

6. dcGColts

dcGColts New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 GamOC
    I'm very confused with Corsair H100i RGB platinum and i7 10700k I am able to get 5ghz @ 1.2v

7. vMax1965

vMax1965 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Gaming
    Be happy as that is a great result....though make sure you are fully stable so Prime95 run with small FFT's around 30 minutes and CinebenchR20...if you pass you have a great CPU!! mine at 5.1GHz needs 1.295v...Personally I think it is a stellar CPU for the money and matches the 3700/3800 there or therabouts in productivity and is at the top in gaming.

8. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Think time to review my 10700, While mine isn't the K version, i still happy with it, My Previous processor was Intel I7 7700, and before that AMD FX 8310 in 2016, ((much better than the older AMD System, both Intel systems was. ((Created this account when was using the AMD FX 8310) Anyways despite place that built it put on Intels newer Stock Heatsink, temps are fairly ok, as long as i keep room its in cool, it doesn't seem to get too hot, of course im sure the extra fans in my newer case help as well.

Eventually i'll get a better CPU cooler, most likely hopefully after Covid 19 stuff is over, and local shop is back to normal operations, as i prefer them to install said cooler, as one never installed a cooler in my life, don't wanna make mistake with my newer motherboard/processor, so think will just get thru Summer with Stock heatsink, then once fall temps start should be totally good, and winter time as well, and try to plan for next summer cooler upgrade.

My main tasks are gaming, sometimes light video editing of game capture videos (nothing major), word processing a little bit, email off and on, music listening, sometimes Djing in Secondlife game with Virtual dj program, nothing too major.

Glad there is competition between AMD and Intel now, or i probably wouldn't been able to afford a sorta High end newer Intel Processor that close after launch, like a month later in June when i snagged it, sure i got lesser chipset B460M versus Z490, if i had unlimited money i surely would've picked up a Z490 along with it, but had to save funds somewhere, and upgraded video card from Geforce 1050 2gb, to Geforce 1660 Super (again couldn't afford up to 2060 or 2070 range as yet.

Desktop still plenty to improve though in future
    Add top Fans, 2 140mm for extra cooling (if power supply can handle more)
    M.2 drive (first one)
    faster ram
    newer cooler (or better one in future)

Evga G3 650 Watt Power supply--((eventually may need to upgrade that to at least 750-850watt for more headroom perhaps, unknown how much wattage using now versus old system)) Have one Front usb power that shuts down all the other USB ports if i plug something into it, Support person at the local shop stated probably need a bigger power supply. Do Have bluetooth 5.0 plugged in second usb header on motherboard. 1 front port of 2.0 works though, and the one usb 3.0 port

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    alanm and Noisiv like this.
  9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    What for? Upgrade to 800W and you will rarely if ever be pulling 50%

alanm likes this.
  10. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Well in that case, then won't upgrade Power supply, wasn't sure if i was pulling more than i should on my Evga 650 watt or not, Figured with adding at least 2 more fans to the top, i'd probably need a bigger power supply.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    nah... that's like + few watts.

OTOH if you have any reason to suspect your PSU go for it. But no need to go over 700W(and even that is alot of headroom), unless you're multi-GPU

12. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Not Multi Gpu at all, just little usb issue maybe power related, but overall very happy with my Intel 10th Gen build

13. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    I haven't done any overclocking with 10700K and was quite frustrated at first at the power draw (though not unexpected), but once i turned off all the Auto settings, it required a lot less volts and has ran much cooler.

Here is the CPU-Z bench at 5ghz @ 1.16 vcore, scored over 6,000 and runs Cinebench R20 just fine.

https://valid.x86.fr/06g4tk
    [​IMG]

I'm just waiting on a delid tool to arrive sometime this week. When i assembled everything, i realized the only thermal paste i had was some 6 or 7 year old MX-4 which is long past its recommended use-by date. Once i delid, i plan on lapping the IHS and using Thermalright Liquid metal and i have yet to decide on whether i should use the same liquid metal for the copper CPU waterblock or play it safe and use Grizzly Kryonaut instead.

I've seen some wild prices being thrown around for the 10700K in this thread. You can pick one up at Microcenter for $399 and get an additional $20 off if you bundle it with a motherboard. I got mine first week they were out via Amazon for $379.

I don't think a couple fans are going to bring you anywhere near needing a new PSU. Just for the heck of it I decided to check out a fan i bought a number of years ago but never found a use for it, a San Ace 120x38mm 224cfm 6,400 beast. Its 12v and 3.0A current draw which works out to being about 36 watts. I doubt you're running anything like these, and even if you were, you'd need more than 2 to stress that PSU. You might get cited for disturbing the peace though. lol.

-Tj- likes this.
  14. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    What you just said can be turned around and still be true. There's many gamers trashing AMD for not being as good at gaming while still delivering 100+ fps like if they all would be pro gamers needing 200fps to be better and win major tournaments. Most of them play games in a gpu bound scenario where the better cpu will give them single digits marginal gain. At 1440p with ultra settings the i9 10900k often delivers under 144fps and rarely beats the 3900x by much more than ~10 fps even with a 2080Ti. Yet lot of gamers act like if they would play Fortine at a competitive level making money doing so while being good enough to exploit the 200fps delivered by their computer/monitor (in reality most of them are not but well placebo effect i guess).

This said it's nice to finally see Intel waking up and providing more cores and HT to all their cpus. It's something that had to be done not only for Intel but for computers as a whole. We are kind of hitting a wall on what is possible on a single thread and multi-thread is more than likely the future of pre-quantum computers. I think the most interesting cpu in the lineup is the core i5. Very close to i7 and i9 in gaming and with HT is now a viable home workstation option for students.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    carnivore likes this.
  15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    36W fan lol. I'll give this fan to my enemy :D

Metro Exodus RayTracing +DLSS, 2560x1440 = 180-200W for entire PC (summer setup, underclocked/undervolted)

16. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    I'm tossing up between the i5-10600KF, i7-10700KF and i9-10900KF for my next build. Current prices are:

10600KF - AUD $449
    10700KF - AUD $689
    10900KF - AUD $899

10900KF is out of the running. No benefit outside of video encoding and too expensive. This is where I'm confused. According to the tests here, the 10600K is faster than the 10700K for 1440p gaming, despite less cores, threads, cache and slightly lower turbo clock. Only benefit is in video encoding, which is not a priority. 4K tests and a wider variety of games would be nice the get a fuller picture.

I do want to future proof a bit but is there any reason to spend the extra $240?

17. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I'm getting 5.2ghz with mine, @ 1.3v, max temp i've seen is 75c with the freezer ii 280.
    And the z490i ultra it's connected to is impressive.

18. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    That's what I did. I bought into Z77 back in 2013 with a 3570k. It was great until I started playing Assassin's Creed Origins. That game made it really clear my CPU was bottle-necking the frame rate. I wasn't ready to upgrade CPU, Mobo, and RAM at the time, so I picked up a 3770k on ebay. That got me just over 60fps to finish out that game and let me stave off the full upgrade for another 18 months. The other games I played during that time-frame weren't as demanding on CPU.

When I decided to upgrade a couple months ago, I went with the X570 & 3800x specifically because of the upgrade path with the 4xxx series next year. I figure the 4800x (or whatever the best chip for gaming in that series) will probably be as good or better for gaming than the 11700k on Z490. It seems like AMD probably has more headroom for performance enhancements in AM4 than Intel does in their Lake architecture.

Given my max CPU usage in gaming on the 3800x has been >25%, I don't see the need to upgrade when the 4xxx series hits the market, but there will be a better chip out there if I need it in the future. Like the 3700k, it might help me stave off an upgrade for 1-2 years down the line.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    interesting review, 248watts whole system is rather low with 2080ti seeing that can pull 240-280 watts or is the 248 only wattage for full system with out the gpu being loaded?

in which cause I not really thrilled by cpu wattage idle wattage is not far off from what my system is which fine, but full load on cpu, it more then double the wattage (not including)the full load on gpu?

make wearing about making new pc, if that true that heat is really gona added up in room

performance wise look good and for less then amd offering?

20. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    So at 1440p, my monitor, intel's gaming lead is relatively nothing, New motherboard required too with these 10000 series intel chips, yet I can use my x470 on 2000, 3000 and 4000 AMD chips. Naw, not going back to intel. I'll keep my 2700x until this fall and possibly upgrade to a 3 or 4000 series chip.