AMD Big Navi Would Yield 40-50 percent more than the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 15, 2020.

1. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I promise you the halo product will be very expensive if AMD does one. If AMD are smart they will charge 2080 TI prices because they don't want to sell very many 100% full die chips just like Nvidia doesn't want to do that either. The next step down is where they have to get pricing right because frankly hardly anyone buys 2080 TI level GPU's its everything underneath that is 99% of all sales for Nvidia and the same will hold true for AMD if they do a halo product. The trick has always been to have said halo product in all the review charts. Its a great marketing effect having the top card even if less than 1% of people would ever own one due to the extremely high costs.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I went for the fastest card I could afford, nothing AMD up there.
    AMD is improving on their drivers as you can see in Hilbert's latest game review, but Nvidia drivers aren't without issues either, especially when it comes to compatibility, apart from that it sounds more like that RX580 had an issue.
    Only had a 5870 myself in the past, it worked well, the other AMD GPU I tried later on got returned to retailer.
    So I wouldn't let drivers scare me from getting one, can always return the card if it sucks.

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just remember guys, when AMD went premium back in 2015, they've always been more expensive than Nvidia (well, here in the UK they have :p)

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You need to take these things in context though. AMD was expensive in 2015 because the only way it could compete was with HBM - which significantly added to the cost of their GPU. I personally don't think RDNA2 will be MCM but the gist of the rumor is that it will utilize some kind of cluster setup that could be MCM, which would obviously significantly cut the cost of manufacturing down. That's on top of not really needing HBM to be competitive anymore.

Would a theoretical premium, "Halo" AMD product be as expensive or more expensive than Nvidia? Sure. But in 2015 it had to be, in 2020 it doesn't have to be. AMD has a choice now and if they want to repeat the wins they've had on the CPU side with GPUs - then it needs disruptive price/performance.

Maddness and Embra like this.

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    5700XT didn't have HBM, didn't have HW for RT either, yet it was still more expensive than the slightly faster 2070 Super, which did :D

Vega before that, was also more expensive than the 1080, you wanted that performance, you had to get the LC, that thing was £700 here in the UK :p

Anyone thinking AMD are gona be the saviour on pricing, is in for a shock im afraid, as whatever Nvidia are going to charge for their cards, you want to add £50+ on to the top of that, to get what AMD are going to charge :p

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    UK must be the only country where 5700xt is more expensive than 2070S.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yup, was anywhere from £500/£600 for a custom one, a custom 70 Super could have been had for £475. :p

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats insane. Its like 100$ less cheaper here even the Devil. I remember you had Vega 64 LC and you ware right there. That thing was expensive. :D

Rich_Guy likes this.
  9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah, i got mine in a Black Friday sale, for only £600 :D

What a loon :p

I must have been smoking some wacky stuff at the time! :D

Undying likes this.
  10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah maybe the UK is some kind of weird anomaly, 5700XT MSRP was $100 cheaper than the 2070 Super when it launched and I can now find it for almost $130 cheaper today.

Undying likes this.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    It isn't thou, 80-130 squid more for a 2070S.
    The pricings he is on about are launch prices, they usually settle within the 1-4 weeks it takes to get enough cards in stock.

Undying likes this.
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Bring on the GPU wars!

Maddness, Noisiv and Undying like this.
  13. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Last year AMD said that Navi is the equivalent of Zen 1 and that next year (aka this year) we going to have Zen 2 in the GPU market.
    However I have my doubts that AMD pulls an MCM design this year. RDNA2 would be probably a CCD - 2x CCX single die design like Zen 2, which is going to be split to 2 distinct CCDs next year.

Why next year? We know it from the big server they are making that Zen 4 has some pretty cool features tapping directly to VRAM of the GPUs and connecting CPU cores and multiple GPUs via Infinity Fabric 3 bypassing any conventional architecture we have now. Aka whole system works like a huge APU.

But AMD has pulled some crazy stuff, and the head of the Radeon is one of the initial Zen designers. So pulling an MCM design this year wouldn't surprise me. However the performance will be crippled on Intel systems still using pcie 3.0.

14. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    My 1080Ti SC2 with 20% power increase runs well over 300W on 8+6pin and on a tiny heat sink, and is still quiet enough for me to game on.

15. Huigie

Huigie Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    +1

Hope nVidia gets their asses whooped by AMD. With AMD performance lacking they could ask for their cards what they wanted. Hope this changes asap!

16. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Well if it is MCM design no reason why it wouldn't kick 2080 ti, be like running crossfire 5700xt without crossfire profile an all crossfire drawbacks aka microstutter.

17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Hopefully is true not much of use if they release it in 2023...

Noisiv likes this.
  18. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AMD will try to disrupt the GPU market with a big bang for buck GPU only if they are sure they will gain market share with it.
    Depending how strong Nvidia mind share is, actually bringing no real competition and letting Nvidia rise GPU's prices again could be the better choice. AMD is the sole maker of living room console APU...
    For AMD to succeed and for us to be able to get more for less, we need them to put out a "Ryzen" out of Radeon Group. Not in the meaning of a big performance uplift, but in the meaning of changing the mind of the community that their competition is the only one worth it.
    With today marketing ways, performance alone is sadly not always enough...

19. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Yeah thats what im saying but experience people such as GamersNexus claim that this game is well optimized....

20. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    No more, a lot of people will face reality. AMD undercuts Nvidia slightly, that's what they've been doing for years.

See people talking about AMD cards at half the price of Nvidia... ... I think in a fantasy world it´s possible.

Besides, we have to wait and see, there is always a lot of hype with each new AMD generation. It will always be the greatest thing in the world. Fury was going to be Titan Killer and the overclockers dream, Vega were the "Poor Volta" thing...

Let's wait and see.

And in my opinion, these rumors thrown into the air by random youtubers end up damaging AMD's image more than benefiting. People start to create an idea of what the product will be and then when it finally arrives, it disappoints, not because the product is bad, but because the expectations were unrealistic.

Maddness and sbacchetta like this.