AMD Big Navi Would Yield 40-50 percent more than the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Just curious but do these sort of rumors help boost share prices ever do you think?

Thanks for catching that. The 2080 ti is actually a lot better than people realize with power.

I built a machine with a Corsair SF750 Watt, SFX, 80+ Platinum psu -
    3900X
    2080TI
    4 hard drives (RAID)
    32GB of ram
    1 m.2
    B550 MB
    7 case fans
    rad, aio, rgb leds

- Thing runs just fine - stress tested it on AIDA too. I don't overclock cause of PBO which works great.

2. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
  3. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    I buy whatever gives top fps I had both Intel/AMD cpus (currently both) and AMD/Nvidia gpus (mostly nvidia)

4. Hmm ok to be fair I should add for my own comments sake it is true I did build with the founder's edition in that build with the low wattage PSU. But - if the PSU starts capping / won't the GPU just shift gating accordingly as it is designed to do thus ... I mean ... you won't have that issue long as you meet the minimum required PSU spec in the product requirements (Wattage / Amperage is enough etc?)

Up until recently I'd had some AMD GPUs as well for mostly workstation purposes, Firepros (still have one W7000 build) & now am just with NVIDIA rigs using studio drivers - although my switch had to do with nvidia including co-processors on their newer GPUs for encoding/decoding - something that really took the load off for me

https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/geforce/geforce-broadcasting/landing-page/gpu.mp4

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2020

5. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I agree the last time AMD competed at that level was maybe the R9 290x vs the 780.

7. Yeah no kidding - well I can run a test later when I have my 2080 TI founder's edition rig up and post an image here & see what the result is... hopefully I'm not straining the heck out of my PSU :/ perhaps I do not recall things as they actually are :(

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Actually it was 1080 vs Vega64 so 3 years ago after that its all midrange.

Fediuld and Fender178 like this.
  9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Guys this is what I have been talking about in other threads. AMD are going to do to Nvidia what they did to Intel using the same techniques they have now mastered from Ryzen at a much more affordable price.

AMD was in the mud in the CPU market for years ever since Intel released "conroe" with the first Core 2 series they have been playing catch up. They had no choice but to come out swinging with first gen Ryzen and sold the 1800X for $499 compared to Intel's 6900K at $1000. If AMD was always competitive during those years of defeat then I bet AMD would of charged A LOT more for the 1800X and the newer models too.

Now in the GPU market AMD hasn't been truly competitive since first gen GCN with the 7970GHz, sure they took the crown with the 290X but at what cost? Their brand was dragged through the mud and they were seen as the "hot" chip (the 95C hot). Ever since then they have been seen as the cheap brand, the mid tier brand.

Coming out now and charging Nvidia prices for their cards wouldn't make sense from an image/brand point of view. They need to win back trust as for many moving GPU makers for many is nearly as big as moving to a new OS. You have different IQ, different UI, you have to give up features and adopt new ones.

Releasing a super fast GPU for half the price of the competition for MANY people is too good to pass up on and goes a long way into convincing people to make that switch. Just like with Ryzen, they gave us everything we wanted and have been asking for for years but at a cost people couldn't pass up on. Leading to a better brand, better public image, and regaining market share.

Either way you look at it, if Nvidia is scared then we are in for a fantastic time as consumers as both companies seem to in fighting mode!

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Really? That game must be one hell of a bad port then.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Bit like when you look at 5600XT for 1080p, no way I would pay the same for a 1660S or way more for Nvidia's other offers, same with the 5700XT for 1440p, on the other hand there is also the odd 5500XT which is not worth it's price.
    So if AMD can pull it off on all levels with Navi2 they are more than welcome, I guess most won't buy anything high end upon release to see if there are issues, except for the fanboys who just buy their favorite color.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Oh ok. I forgot that Vega64 gave the 1080 a run for its money.

With me the reason why I purchase Nvidia is because of how solid their drivers are. AMD has had problems with their drivers in the past. I know that there have been alot of bug fixes with AMD drivers. My cousin with his I think it was an rx580 and he was getting flickering issues with some games and when he replaced it with a 1660 the issues went away. AMD needs to continue improving their drivers as well.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  13. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I have been expecting around 40% myself for the high end halo product but it is going to be around 2080 Ti price. When I did the napkin math on the rumored 505mm2 die size I came up with 96CU's but using prior generations AMD would disable 4CU's per repeatable block that consisted of memory controller and 24CU's each so four disabled times four blocks comes in at 16 disabled CU so 80CU's in total. At 80 CU's this will make a great high end gaming card but the true extremely high cost halo product would be the full 96CU's or very close like 92CU's. Of course nobody is saying this other than me and my napkin math so believe what you want but this is what I am expecting to see.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    All this talk about how powerful is going to be is very cute but it doesn´t matter if they can´t release the damn thing!

Ricepudding likes this.
  15. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Why would they not release it? I cant imagine AMD would make the GPU then not release it so this strikes as a very odd comment.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It just means that they are taking a lot of time to release it. And by the time they finally release it Nvidia will do the same, losing any possible advantage of releasing it first.

17. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    You made it sound like never :) I see. Frankly if they release this fall its not a lot of time and is very in line with a 18 month cycle we all expect. Its been almost exactly one year since the 5700XT.

18. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I havent been following the Gpu market as of late but I remember the days when Amd use to be neck and neck with Nvidia in the High end!

Radeon 7970 Ghz edition (fantastic card)
    R9 290 & X Model! Bad-ass cards! Run little hot but who cares!
    R9 295 X 2- Dual gpu Monster of a video card!

Use to love reading the reviews and watch amd and nvidia battle for top spot or Fps war lol!

Lets get the duel gpu cards back and fix sli/Crossfire amd/Nvidia.

XenthorX, EspHack, Fediuld and 2 others like this.
  19. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I doubt they will charge 2080Ti prices, if they do they are fools to think people would buy it. Like I've said before AMD now has a solid CPU lineup, the popularity has grown, the market share is through the roof. But that is only on the CPU front. If they want true growth in the GPU market as well they need to price aggressively just like they did with Ryzen. Nvidia's brand is far too strong for AMD to be charging the same prices, much like Intel's brand was strong with the enthusiast PC gamer. But with giving people what they asked for and charging an affordable price for it they made switching over that much more enticing. The same needs to be done with GPU's.

Google "what is a halo product"

Top answer: "The halo effect is a term for a consumer's favoritism toward a line of products due to positive experiences with other products by this maker. The halo effect is correlated to brand strength, brand loyalty, and contributes to brand equity."

They are never going to achieve brand, strength, loyalty, and equity if they go ahead and charge Nvidia prices. This isn't saying that they won't or couldn't charge Nvidia prices once they have firmly achieved this goal.

Why would they release it now? Nvidia are gearing up to show their hand, and whoever goes first needs to firmly know they are in the lead or risk being made a fool of. It's just a matter of time to whomever chooses to go first. If anything Nvidia will probably go first as they already have the stronger brand and people are more likely going want to stay on team green. This is HOPEFULLY where AMD swoop in and make people think twice with this "halo product".

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    The GPU wars of old were the best times, 7970GHz was an insanely good card I had one for near 4-5 years and it never let me down.

I don't think either are ever going to fix sli/crossfire. Too much work is needed to be done in game development in order to make it work properly. If the story is true it seems as if AMD has found a way to connect 2 GPU dies together with infinity fabric much like they have used with Ryzen. So whilst everyone is looking at a this monster die size what is really is (or could be) is 2 smaller dies with some new form of interal crossfire technology that allows the 2 dies to act and perform as one GPU.

This is the same technology that allowed AMD to make much smaller CPU dies, get much higher yields per wafer, push core/thread counts higher, and therefore allow them to charge less for the end product. The only difference now is that they have more experience with it, the node is much more mature and if it is infinity fabric and it uses the same methods as on the CPU side with it being tied to half of RAM speeds in a 1:1 ratio then with it being tied to GDDR6 the latency should in theory be extremely minimal.