Star Citizen raised over $300 million USD to date

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no they didn't.

The sample provided in 2011 was made by Crytek, all that code was scrapped once actual development began in late 2012/early 2013.

Net worth does not translate to liquid assets or available funds.

2. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    You forgot is not only Chris getting paid by the company. But his wife and many friends.
    Chris even bought a $5 mil house few years ago cash, from money he never had in his bank before this project.

The Forbes article is an eye opener that this is a pyramid scam for Chris to enrich himself.

Loobyluggs and chispy like this.
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Nah, this post is trash. If you don't like the project that's fine - but to sit here and lie is just dumb.

Orgin to EA in 1992 for $37M of which he was a partner then he sold Digital Anvil to Microsoft for a ton of money, then went on to executive produce a number of successful movies, including The Punisher Movie, Lord of War and Lucky Number Slevin (all of which grossed over $50M+). Literally another person in this thread's argument is that he had a ton of money before the project he should have bankrolled it himself and you're sitting here saying he didn't have money before the project. That's not to mention that before he bought that $5M house in he was renting an expensive house in hollywood for 10+ years - all of which you'd know if you actually read that Forbes article.

HandR likes this.
  4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Will we see the company sold in the next year or so? I mean everyone who bought in to the next successor to Wing Commander dream, and those who just liked the ambition of the project. What will they be thinking now that there are two games in the pipeline and using the Amazon game engine. For a game that has made over $300 million, this is discrace.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Let's round it up for you a bit, around100 mill was what it did cost them to create GTA5, which also was way more spend than on any other game.
    I'm quite sure that with the additional millions all these assets should be no issue to get in place to have an almost finished product by now.

carnivore likes this.
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't understand the reference to lumberyard? Starcitizen forked lumberyard - there is a ton more stuff in Starcitizen's engine than there is in Lumberyard.

That's rounded down - most estimates put it at $135M for GTA5. I'm not really sure what assets have to do with Starcitizen - the game isn't bottlenecked by asset production, it's bottlenecked by core gamecode.. Throwing a ton of money isn't going to magically make a project speed up - some items don't accelerate with more people working on it and my entire point is that some of that $300M is going to company stuff Rockstar already had in place. That's not to mention that they haven't spent all of that $300M yet.

The other thing is, I don't even know what you would consider a "finished" product when it comes to that game. Their intention is to expand it forever and always has been. There isn't going to be a day when they are like "cool game's shipped, wrap it up and move onto Starcitizen 2"

There has been games by established studios, with set budgets, that have taken years to make - Starcraft 2 comes to mind. 7 years in development and gamewise it has a fraction of the complexity as Star Citizen when it comes to actual game systems.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
  8. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattpe...ed-300-millionbut-may-never-be-ready-to-play/

You didn't quoted the paragraph above it

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I didn't quote any paragraph lol..?

You said
    I said he did have money in the bank before this project, in fact he had a ton of money, which again, is in the article.

The quote you posted doesn't say he didn't have money in the bank, it also doesn't say he bought the house in cash lol. Kind of weird to quote a paragraph that backs up nothing you said or that I refuted.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Mostly correct.

I literally am astonished people gave money to someone who didn't need it, based purely on the original kickstarter proposal for the project.

Not a game, though. Not by a very long shot and...

I think (have to check) I said this two years ago: that there is every possibility he will sell the company, let someone else try and put this project into a game for purchase, see it fail hard in the review scores and then; blame them (the company who bought it and tried to publish it) for screwing it all up.

JUST LIKE HE HAS DONE BEFORE.

"It's like poetry...it rhymes." George Lucas.

11. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    What previous games has he sold or given up on?

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Freelancer...."...they didn't understand my vision..." ...

Yeah, three years overdue and unlimited budget from Microsoft...I don't think the problem was anyone else, CR; your project sucked and Microsoft proved it.

Fediuld likes this.
  13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    In the United Kingdom, Freelancer sold roughly 20,000 units during the first half of 2003. Kristan Reed of GamesIndustry.biz wrote that these were "not figures that spell H.I.T."[50]

GameRankings 84.36%[51]
    Metacritic 85 / 100[52]
    AllGame [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][15]
    Eurogamer 8 / 10[7]
    GameSpot 8.3 / 10[10]
    GameSpy 83 / 100[18]
    IGN 9.2 / 10[6]
    PC Zone 8.4 / 10[33]
    FiringSquad 83%[3]
    GameCritics.com 6.0 / 10[53]

Game Critics Awards Best of Show, Best PC Game, Best Simulation, and Outstanding Achievement in Graphics—1999[54]

IGN Game of the Month—March 2003[55]

14. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Yup - all thanks to Microsoft bringing it over the winning line, by cutting out all the 'visionary' stuff that held the project back.

All of the criticisms from people came from, people saying that the game missed elements that CR said would be in it, and he blamed Microsoft.

The chickens will come home to roost one day, they always do - and the final reviews for the final game (once the project has finished) will show this. We all know it. Just as we knew that The Last of Us Part Deux, was gonna be preachy, self-indulgent and structural mess of story-telling. Just as we knew the press would give it 10/10 reviews because they are afraid of the Bob Geldofs of the world, versus critical thinking.

Let's put a hypothetical out there:

If the money ran out, and no more people were backing the project - would he sell his assets to push the game over the finish-line?

No. Hell, no.

He would sell the project (and possibly the company) to the highest bidder, let them release it and get the flack for the final game not having whatever crap CR thought would be good, like...having Zoo's on space stations?. He would side with those people, and blame whichever company bought it. He'd disappear for X many years until one day, he'd be on Kickstarter doing it all over again.

He just does not deliver anything unless, he is just another employee and is basically ordered to complete tasks in a logical and structured manner.

Narcissists will promise you the Earth, but then kick sand in your face and blame you for it...then afterwards, dust you off and tell you that you are awesome...but only if you worship them and no one else, because if you do, they will blame them for the dirt on your jacket....

Y'see the problem and the parallels?

carnivore and Fediuld like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Freelancer was a shelled disaster in all that was missing.

16. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    I've played Freelancer and the game definitely had some rough edges. One of the things that bugged me most was that when you played through the story line, at the end you'd be at level 13 of 20, with the best ship in the game. You'd be nigh unbeatable, but there were still 7 levels you could climb. Except the game became so dull due to you being impossible to beat, that at that point playing the single player game became a total waste of time.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the single player campaign up to that point because it had an interesting enough story, even though some of the gameplay mechanics became seriously repetitive and stilted (I'm looking at you Bar segments) and the control method was a bit gamey (I had a joystick at that time for all the space games I played, so having to switch to the mouse control scheme felt a bit underwhelming).

But If you look at the development time that needed to be put into Freelancer in order to make it a marketable game (6 years, from 1997 till 2003) and what was delivered at the end, it did feel a bit light on content. And of course this was after Microsoft took an axe to all those fancy ideas that Chris had, which they couldn't implement at that time.

For me Freelancer and it's development history was the reason not to spend money on Chris's Kickstarter campaign, but to put my funds into Elite Dangerous instead (also because Chris had reached his funding goal quite quickly and Elite Dangerous was still struggling to reach their goal).

I've never been happier with my decision, because instead of waiting all these years for something playable to come out, I was abe to play E : D and its expansions quite happily for the last 6 years.

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Sorry it took so long to reply, but net worth is still net worth (minus all taxes and costs) to get to the liquid figure. So...it actually IS the value of all of someone's assets after tax+costs, and is therefore the liquid value.

The most illiquid thing you can have is property, because that has to go through a lot of hoops before it becomes cash, which is the most liquid form of money.

What I think I meant all those months ago was this: HE HAD THE F***** CASH AND STILL ASKED THE INTERNET TO GIVE HIM MORE, SO HE WOULD NOT HAVE TO RISK HIS OWN MONEY ON HIS VENTURE, YET EXPECTED EVERYONE (EXCEPT HIM) TO RISK THEIR MONEY.

wow - what an absolutely great and awesome way to show to everyone just how much you believe in your own project!!!!!

Please, a nice big round of applause for all the people that gave this loser money.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    300 million, that's a lot of second, third and fourth houses!

chispy likes this.
  19. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    There's a lot of emotional content in guru3d recently, dissolve yourself and be enlightened by the reverse of what you think.

HandR and Denial like this.
  20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't see why this matters when in the end I'm getting the project I wanted?

People take risks with money all the time - I've said earlier in this thread, I've bought games that I played far less than Starcitizen for more than $40. There was some length of time that I thought to myself, well I put $40 into Starcitizen and the game seems to be going nowhere - guess I lost my $40, no big deal. But then 3.0 came out, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 and little by little they started adding a bunch of features and promises - suddenly something took shape that I actually wanted to play and sink dozens of hours into. Looking back, was there "risky" period? Sure. But at most I was risking $40. I've spent way, way more on way shittier investments in entertainment that I lost totally out on.

During that time period I couldn't careless that Chris risked none of his money - not once did I even think about it because who does? When you buy an EA game do you find yourself wondering how the game got funded? How much collateral EA had to put up to secure funding from the bank? Do you think the owners of EA are sitting there taking financial risks with their own money? I don't. I've never had for any game, indie to AAA titles.

I feel like you come into these threads trying to get owners of this game outraged and I'm not convinced anyone cares. Maybe there are/were a handful of people, for a while you could actually submit for a refund and they were giving them out, but the vast majority of people don't care. And the people that don't own the game probably weren't going to buy it anyway, but I doubt like Chris Roberts not putting his own money is the reason why.