Is Another GPU Mining Wave Inbound?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yesterday we already reported that there might be problems with NVIDIA GPUs soon as some cards go EOL. Signs from the industry indicate that there will be deficiencies due to cryptocurrency mining. Lo...

Is Another GPU Mining Wave Inbound?

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    On the positive side, maybe somebody buys my used 2080TI then once I get a 3080TI :D

But seriously, mining needs to be killed with torches and pitchforks.

3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    And what exactly is the reason behind another mining wave? Or just a random words from a china man?

FranciscoCL likes this.
  4. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I might drop PC gaming entirely and go for a console if another mining craze happen again.
    1000+ euros for a freaking mid-top tier GPU is just too much.

5. TOMPPIX

TOMPPIX Member

GPU:
    Club 3D Radeon HD 7870 XT
    we aren't making enough money, lets inflate the prices and blame the miners.

6. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Agreed. An absolute travesty.

7. baasgene

baasgene Guest

GPU:
    Asus 3080 Tuf OC
    This sounds like a dirty tactic which I wouldn't put pass Nvidia. There isn't much dough to be made with mining these days so the mining market has staggered tremendously.

I believe this guy is being paid to say this, then Nvidia will control supply and demand at launch to make it seem like mining is still a thing so that they can generate maximum profit.

It's pretty irritating to be honest, they already charged far too much for the RTX 2xxx series, now they want to **** us again with the 3xxx series. Despicable.

geogan, Legacy-ZA, Backstabak and 2 others like this.
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I thought China brought the hammer down on crypto mining. I must be remembering wrong. Nevertheless, I hope whoever was predicting this was as wrong as a person can be. Although it would be funny if scalper wannabes bought as many of the new cards as possible believing they can resell them to miners with huge profits, but then when no second mining craze began, they would need to sell them with a solid deficit to get rid of them.

9. Ripcord

Ripcord Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6500xt
    They never reduced the prices after the last fake shortage, now they want to put them up again

GSDragoon likes this.
  10. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I thought that ASIC miners took over and GPUs were no longer viable? Or is there a new cryptocurrency in town?

FranciscoCL and cryohellinc like this.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    ^This - afaik ASIC killed most of the GPU-for-mining market. Hopefully, this won't happen again.

Nevertheless, I'm most likely skipping the next-gen altogether. 90% of modern games are absolute junk. Most of the games that I play are from the late 1990s to the early 2010s.

If there will be any hardware purchase on my end, it will most likely be PS5, as Xbox is pretty much a PC at this point. However, PS5, in its first interaction, will probably be a big overheating pile of trash, which they may fix into second or third-gen. Also, the whole backward compatibility thing has to be clearly put on the table - will we have any/ or none at all. Too many rumors floating around at this point.

In the meantime, I have so many games to catch up with; it's insane. Hell, haven't even finished Witcher 3.

HonoredShadow and gx-x like this.
  12. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    "On the positive side, maybe somebody buys my used 2080TI"

Been trying to decide if I should sell my 2080ti now while prices are sttill high?

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    RTX 3060 coming in hot at $1000 !!!

Legacy-ZA, Turanis and gx-x like this.
  14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    What do you game with then? (Always my most curious question in such a situation) :D

15. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Being as the miners are meant to be using 2060's and 1660's and Nvidia is meant to have stopped production of 2070 up I am not sure how that matters?

16. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    we don't need mining craze for inflated prices, we have nVidia doing that just fine. I mean ~$300 for a 1080p card...nothing for ~$150...

17. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Maybe hold off gifting your replaced card for a generation? I do the same, but I do not game at the same level.

18. shamus21

shamus21 Member Guru

GPU:
    Just more miss information to manipulate events / prices. happening world over nowadays with everything. You wake up in the morning and ask your self what will be real or fake today i wonder. o_O

geogan likes this.
  19. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I could, I don't need to money for a new card, but it's kind of a waste to have a card that works lie around if somebody could use it. But generally you are right ofc

Embra likes this.
  20. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    This is non-sense,what to do with Rtx cards on mining?
    This kind of news is a marketing strategy to make "noobs" to buy more and more un-buyed Rtx cards,to make that leather jacket guy to buy another 2-3 more ferrari.
    (and what games do you wanna play with Rtx v1 card?maybe 2-3 games worth it,but are resources hog,even with Dlss at 50-75%)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020