Fix the clock on Sapphire RX580

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by passenger, Jul 4, 2020.

1. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Is there a way to fix the clock on Sapphire RX580, it always fluctuates from 1250-1300MHz and very rarely hits advertised 1366MHz?? The cooling is fine it's always around 70c and Corsair psu giving her enough power.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Enough power vs power limit.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Give it more power and it would stay at 1366mhz all the time. Power limited like Fox said. Use the slider to 50%

4. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    I have tried rising the power limit to max before but that unfortunately doesn't help..

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Raise the voltage then. Card can be even overclocked let alone keeping up the stock clocks stable.

6. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    I don’t want to overclock and don’t want to overvolt the card definitely, just wanna to run the card at normal speed.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It will not effect the card or the thermals. Raise the voltage to 1.125 or 1.150v and it should be fine.

8. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    It’s already at 1181v and yes more voltage will affect the thermals.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    And it still cant keep stable clocks? Thats odd.

10. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    I was having problems with ny card throttling as soon hits 75 degrees. No power limit increase help. Is a MSI Armor, very bad cooling internet wise. My case airflow dont exist, i have side panel open, i undervolted to 950mv and underclock to 1260mhz. Max temp registered is 69. Stays mostly at 66 playing Mass Effect Andromeda Ultra settings. No downcloking since them. Ulps didnt help either, i tried almost everything. Maybe try to keep it under 70 and see if it helps. I looked around internet and it seems some people have the same problem as mine between 70 and 75 degrees. Seems to vary between cards.

passenger likes this.

11. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Thank men, it’s throttling as soon as temperature hits 70c. I have tried to zip tie 12cm fan on top/side/back of card that didn’t lower temperature at all, and case is well ventilated. Sapphire Pulse has very weak heat sink and fans are insanely loud it’s good for nothing but that’s another story. It’s throttling definitely so probably I’m gonna live with -100MHz.

12. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB
    You can modify your card BIOS with Polaris bios editor. Set target temperature lower, save and flash with atiflash. I did that with my XFX RX580. You have 2 bios onboard, just flip the switch to one which you don't use and flash it.
    Important: You need to disable SecureBoot / Activate CSM in your
    motherboard UEFI because the modification will make
    the cryptographic signature invalid.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    passenger likes this.
  13. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Good solution, unfortunately Pulse doesn’t have 2 bioses.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah Gigabit can go a bit back and forth with this unfortunately, 5700's saw a new Pulse BE recently which initially looks like a black color edition and not too different but similar to the various Polaris editions some just aren't as good as the initial model.
    TDP is up from I think around just a bit below 200W is what the original uses to 240W now but lower clock speeds so possibly lower binned cores needing a bit extra power in addition to fixed non-replaceable fans and removal of the dual bios functionality, think I saw a post stating it had one less heat pipe too.

EDIT: There's two or three ones for Polaris from memory, initial and then some re-release at least and versions of these but that should be mostly clocks and such not drastic changes to features or functionality.

EDIT: Makes bios editing and flashing problematic unless you have a secondary card or a integrated GPU to utilize should a restore be required but I would not chance on doing bios adjustments without a backup from having a secondary bios that can remain unmodified so it's always possible to flip back and undo anything problematic. :)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  15. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB
    I had no problems with flashing modded bios, but yes, it is risky. Well, I have less heat and more noise.:)

16. gabsvm

gabsvm Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8gb
    Yeah its kinda annoying but is a workaround without risks. The performance difference is about 5 - 10%.

17. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    change your thermal paste.
    The chip may report 70c but maybe you have a hot spot in the chip that it is not reported.
    And basically i have the same card and i fix this with the change of thermal paste with a non silicone one (Arctic ceramique 2).
    Also i replaced the thermal pads with a k5 pro (paste that replace thermal pads,it works ideally for 0,5-1,5 mm).

18. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    First thing I’ve done was replacing the paste but it still throttling. But I can’t find paste that will replace pads, can you tell me what dimensions are these ones that Sapphire use 0.5, 1mm or they use something in between?

19. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    yeah nah, pump out is a myth.

congrats though, you've fallen victim to more derpbauer crap.