GIGABYTE AMD Motherboards Get Fitted with new AGESA Microcode (Solves the SMM Callout)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    I will be looking forward to mid of july then even though i dont have xt processors and will not have them in near future....

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Ill rather wait for the formal. no way im gonna try the beta.

4. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    I've been using F20b on the master for a ~week from the tweaktown beta.
    Solved some inconsistent memory training boot issues the F12 branch had on my system.

5. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Ill try formal about 30-45 days after it is out and people are not reporting on Gigabytes forums there are issues. :) I used to have fun playing with beta bioses flashing custom GPU bioses etc but I'm a little older and it seems like a hassle. Waiting on Zen3 to see if I want to slap in a Ryzen 3000 into my x370 board or go Ryzen 4000 so no hurry anyhow.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Some settings when dealing with voltages are a bit iffy for F20a and F20b on the X570 at least but more when doing manual tweaking whereas auto works and it's mostly on overclocking but it's still something that might need correction in a F20c test before F20 can be released without any of these beta denoting letters and however many revisions it'll go through first. :)

Probably the same for the bios releases for the B550's, 400 and 300 series meaning potentially some issues until Gigabyte feels confident enough to remove the beta label and however many bios revisions will happen before that's release ready.
    Going by the article possibly mid to late July depending on what needs to be resolved still I suppose but F20a so far besides the virtualization option staying on regardless has been a good update although it is still a beta and has confirmed known issues.

"b" might have some other fixes too, I'm jumping to "c" or whatever is next since I don't tweak some of the options known to be a bit iffy.

But part of that is due to bios update compatibility between versions and having to re-apply settings though that's a good thing to avoid issues and it's mainly XMP plus offing CSM and setting the fan speeds particularly the little chipset spinner thing ha ha. :D
    Harmless and all but hopefully passive can be more of a thing going forward and without the price premium although that "Elite" is a bit special besides the copper cooling job Gigabit did for that.
    (Plus just setting the mode to silent is enough to keep it zeroed until it actually starts getting a bit warm which with good case cooling and passable ambient temps is just about never.)

EDIT: Oh and toggling off SATA hot swapping because ejecting (Non physically, thankfully.) the secondary HDD for storage by accident is a bit of a whoops. :D
    ("That wasn't the USB stick." ~ )

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  7. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    AsRock has also rolled out AGESA Combo-AM4 PI 1.0.0.6

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  9. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    I'm still on 20a and the safely remove hardware icon for internal drives is annoying. Disabling SATA hotswap didn't seem to do anything. Did they fix this with b or something?

There's a TON of new options in AGESA V2 1.0.0.2 without any description and trying to look them up isn't providing much information.

Is this newer than 20b listed on their site? Seems the non-beta version isn't quite live yet.

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    July 7th I think is what I saw for the date of the bios file when I was done configuring everything, expectations is that F20b was promoted to F20 and that the only difference is that the bios is called F20 on boot-up (If the logo is disabled so you see that stuff.) instead of F20b :)

EDIT: Which same as before flash the bios (I like the Q Flash mode though it only supports USB's with FAT32.) set it up and also if needed re-sync the OS time if it's off which I don't think I mentioned but i noticed was a thing that happened with F20a and now F20 here.
    (Doesn't mean much but it reset to midnight for some reason for the OS time but that's easily resolved.)

EDIT: For the HDD's disabling hot swapping is what I do for fixing that, it defaults to enabled and makes the system work these connections as being eSATA and then disabling that option should make them go back to regular SATA drives.

Been a thing for a while but it worked with F20a and this F20 release, should work with F20b too if there's no additional work done to it besides making it the new main bios release.
    (Removing the beta lettering.)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    With the new options I don't know too much about them either, Gigabyte added some USB C setting in addition to I think that's from AMD and this new AGESA branch with a lot of extra advanced motherboard configurations in addition to one of the main things from 1.0.0.6 which should have been per-CCX voltage adjustment so now the board resembles some of the high-end Asus models. :p

And I have very little idea what anything of this actually does.
    (A ton of options for enthusiast tweaking and extreme overclocking I presume.)

12. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Awesome, the non-beta F20 BIOS fixes the SATA drives being removable. The eSATA options and some others from F20a are no longer available (the section is listed, but empty).

The AMD CBS section still has a ton of new options under it that I don't understand.

13. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    Being running the new “stable” F20 today, applied my good ol’ 3800/1900 config along with some static voltages and all seems be well.

There seems be a performance regression in terms of RAM latency, generally being worse with 1ns or more.

14. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    I decided to give the F51g bios with AGESA 1.0.0.6 a go for my x470 and was very surprised. The last couple of bios I had to drop my memory to 3466 and IF frequency to 1733 do to stability issues. I am now able to run 1900 IF and memory 3800 again, as well as slightly lower memory timings. These same settings I was able to use with some of the first couple of bios available for 3rd gen Ryzen. Same for bus clock, first couple of bios were able to run 103mhz without a single issue, whereas the last couple I could only run 100.56, anything higher would result in a crash. I have only went up to 102 currently, however I haven't had a single crash since updating the bios. So if you're on the fence about the latest AGESA, give it a try, just remember that ymmv in comparison to my experience. Good luck and happy gaming.

15. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Master Guru

GPU:
    6900XT
    F21 is out now with the release note: Improve PCIe device compatibility.

As a side note, this release fixes the waking from (hybrid) sleep issue.

JonasBeckman and GSDragoon like this.