New Windows 10 Build reveals a new start menu and improved Alt-Tab feature

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Of all these features, only the graphing calculator is especially interesting to me.
    If I really wanted to alt-tab between my browser tabs, I'd open them in a new browser.

3. Domingo

Domingo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 (Gigabyte)
    I like the look of the Start Menu. Functionality is more or less the same, but it just has a more pleasing appearance to me. The few apps that had useful live tiles (like weather, calendar, etc.) still work, while the others look like and blend in with normal non-UWP apps.

4. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Yet Calculator still have no ability to edit expression. Every single Android calculator have it.

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I hope they also fixed the bugs with the start menu. It would be so nice if expanding expandable tiles wouldn't mess with the possition of other tiles, create empty spots and make some of them disappear every now and then until you re-arrange the tiles to fill the mysteriously appeared gaps. That's much more important than giving it a visual overhaul, in my humble opinion.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I am on bit older build, yet I have those. Graphs in Calc use DX11.
    And start menu is not anything to look at. It is kind of weird since I use vertical taskbar.

7. loracle

loracle Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    None of those features are interesting for me, i always try to keep my windows as lighter as i can, specialy for gaming :D

8. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    It is still the same, horrific interface. They keep taking large steps backwards as far as I am concerned. I haven't like the Windows GUI since W7 and I liked XP's better than it.

9. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Same opinion here.
    If Firefox enables this too in the future, I hope they let users the option to disable it. I usually have a lot of permanently open tabs, and this new "feature" would be very problematic for me.

10. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Would've been laughable, if it wasn't so sad...

11. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Meh, i'll still use Start10, love the look it has

12. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    The entire design of the "Start" menu in Windows 10 is painful. Horrible, horrible design.
    I honestly have never used it apart from the extra shutdown menu I have to use.
    Have never used the "tiles" at all for anything... don't even know what the point of them is (for touch screen?)
    And the middle programs menu list with its extra expanding sub-menus.. horrible.
    Honestly menu systems from OS's from 25 years ago were better than it.

13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    lol I think IE7-8-9 did exactly that, tabs were visible on alt-tab AND on the peek view from the taskbar, old is new!

14. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I am not using Edge, and hopefully they don't force user to show all tabs in the ALT-TAB screen.

I am using the pin feature of Firefox and i have 15 mini pinned tabs at all time, so without counting the additionnal one that i open myself for day to day random search & surf. Would be horrible to see all of them appearing when trying to switch from one app to another.

The START-TAB feature could be improve, it shows 1 months history of opened app/document + current opened windows. But for whatever reason, not every program launched previously shows up in the history.
    It can help tracks what we've done in the last month day to day. But missing so much history/program not registered.

15. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Well... I actually use the tiles A LOT.

They are the quick and easy way to access whatever program. Everything I use is just 2 clicks away (or a windows key + 1 click away).
    It's much easier and faster than to use the search bar, and it relieves the desktop of shortcuts, so my desktop is 100% clean, with only 3 icons: PC / user folder / recycle bin.

I've organized the tiles in categories: Office tools, Games, Windows tools, Multimedia tools, Art and Other tools, so everything is shown without scrolling and organized in an easy to find way, with things that I use the most in medium size, and things that I use less in small size.
    Heck, I have even created tiles for things like "Power Options" and "Device and Printers" to go directly to their respective places in the old Config Panel, or to "Services", "cmd" and "PowerShell" if I want to check things out.
    As for the task bar, I only have two things: File Explorer and Firefox, which are the 2 things I use more on this computer.

Here's a screenshot of my tiles: postimg DOT cc/NLNPj9fr

IMHO, it's perfect for efficiency and for keeping the desktop clean.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    geogan and Mineria like this.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Even with the regular old start menu I kept the desktop clean, but tiles on start are a bit faster than using custom menus.
    Here is how I have mine set, not as many tiles as on yours though :)
    Yeah I know, quite a color mix, but it does help.
    [​IMG]

17. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    For those that hate the stupid nonsense windows 10 start menu (its look, its structure, those infantile colored tiles):

https://www.startisback.com/

It's just $3.99, and has a 30-day trial mode for those that want to make sure they want to spend the equivalent of two cups of coffee...

Note: Not my PC, random googled image:
    [​IMG]

Edit: Ah, or Start10, seems to be very similar... both in usage and price.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Mineria likes this.
  18. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I'm perfectly fine with the way alt-tab works now, hopefully they don't screw it up too bad.

19. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    I dunno about other browsers, but you can switch tabs in Opera by using Ctrl+Tab.

I only ever use the start menu for the search function, so - meh. As for the calculator - useful for some, but I'll probably just let it draw sin(x) for me and never use the function again :D.

20. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I never knew anything about customizing the tiles. Had to look up how to do it. Anyway I have always been using old school method of having icons all over desktops and just searching for program there... I also have a long list of my most used programs pinned to Taskbar which I find handiest to do. I have plenty of space to do all this... and the desktop icons are all on the secondary side portrait-oriented monitor so not in main monitor in the way.