Apple MacOS Big Sur Beta Driver Code Hints towards AMD Navi 31 GPU and APUs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra likes this.
  2. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    I'm utterly lost with Apple...

Wasn't it a week ago they were talking about dropping Intel and the x86 architecture for in-house ARM processors?

I mean, forgive my ignorance, but wouldn't that effectively kill what little gaming they already had? And even that aside, why are we still hearing about APU's?

Edit: I guess I never really considered their Mac pro's--I can't really imagine them throwing an ARM processor in those and still having the gall to charge the price of a car for one--does this point to them using AMD processors for their workstations? Is there finally hope for native AMD Hackintosh's?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not at all. The ARM-based Macs will still be able to play x86 games (they'll be a lot slower though) and there's all the iOS games.
    Also... there's more to a GPU than playing games. Macs are still used for creative and engineering production purposes. They warrant such a GPU/APU.
    Apple isn't using your everyday ARM Cortex chip. They have their own additional instructions. I wouldn't be surprised if the first ARM-based Macs end up being cheaper.
    No chance Apple is going with AMD CPUs. So, not only will you not be seeing native AMD hackintoshes, but you're not going to be seeing any more future x86 hackintoshes either.

4. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    It's a shame they crippled the thermals on the Intel 10th gen CPU's for their 2020 MacBook Air lineup. I mean who puts a heatsink in a device that barely touches the CPU and a fan that doesn't even blow air over it?

5. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    Apple does.

nick0323 likes this.
  6. tunaphish6

tunaphish6 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    I guess I read the article wrong, from the standpoint that this was pointing to APU's in Macs, when it's simply pointing to the same core CPU found in APU's.