Can you get RTSS to work with chrome browser?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by deama, Jun 16, 2020.

1. deama

deama Guest

GPU:
    2060 super
    Is there a way to get RTSS to hook onto the chrome browser? I tried going into ProfileTemplates folder and deleting chrome.exe.cfg, but that didn't do anything, nor does changing hook from 0 to 1.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

You cannot expect RTSS to hook any application you wish. It is 3D API hook and it will hook 3D accelerated applications ONLY.

3. deama

deama Guest

GPU:
    2060 super
    It works for my video player though, can it at least work on chrome's video player?

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Reread my post twice.

BetA likes this.

5. deama

deama Guest

GPU:
    2060 super
    Is there a way to run chrome's video player in direct3D then or something similiar?

6. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    lol, you are rude.. i think that is not the right place to ask, since its not RTSSĀ“s Problem..

*Hint, u might wanna try an injector*

Bye

7. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    Nonstandard, but:

*** MAINLY RELEVANT TO DEVELOPERS ***

I briefly got FireFox to run TestUFO in VRR mode with RTSS. I had to force FireFox into a Direct2D render mode, and then RTSS started overlaying. I had to fiddle with about:config and set the FireFox framerate, and then TestUFO ran in a variable refresh rate mode thanks to RTSS help.

I am unable to reliably reproduce this with every version of FireFox, but I'm working on convincing a browser vendor to help incubate HTML-based variable refresh rate (HTML 5.2 VRR article)

(A) Rename the browser executable; (NVIDIA Control Panel blacklists chrome.exe and firefox.exe)
    (B) Configure NVIDIA Control Panel to windowed G-SYNC
    (C) Configure the browser to use Direct2D or Direct3D output method; (so RTSS works)
    (D) Force the browser to G-SYNC mode via NVIDIA Control Panel;
    (E) Make sure RTSS displays frametime graphs successfully on top of the web browser window;
    (F) Force the browser compositor to behave the way we want via fiddling lots of settings in about:config or chrome://flags
    (G) Set cap via RTSS to set the custom TestUFO VRR refresh rate we want.

You know G-SYNC is working when RTSS framerate cap slows down the Windows mouse pointer, test "40" and "50", and make sure mouse cursor moves around smoothly before beginning to play around with the browser.

It's very hard, very fiddly, won't work with most browser builds (you may need to do a custom build after a few one-line changes, it's easier), and full of catch-22s, but RTSS has successfully manipulated web browsers before, e.g. pursuit camera testing of a variable refresh rate. The browser rendering engines weren't designed to assume variable-intervals, especially for requestAnimationFrame, so it can still stutter badly, unless tweaked accordingly, to keep it in sync with frame presentation times.

I am still trying to formulate a more reliable way to do TestUFO VRR (e.g. custom VRR frame rates), but RTSS is currently playing a useful role here behind-the-scenes;

Nothing useful yet for mainstream users, but it works in a non-standard "developer debugging" way.

If any software deveoper here discover one (appropriately configured) browser engine works more reliably with specific settings, please immediately email me at mark [at] blurbusters.com as TestUFO VRR is a highly requested feature.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    BetA likes this.
  8. Calder Johnson

Calder Johnson Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1650 / 4gb
    Great answer by mdrejron. But what method did you use to configure the browser to use Direct2d/32 output? This would help me a lot. Thanks!