NVIDIA GeForce 451.48 WHQL Drivers: Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Jun 24, 2020.

1. k3lt

k3lt Active Member

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1060 6GB
    I agree, and for 1080p gaming it's still powerhouse.

2. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Nvidia GTX
    Yeah, it's a stuttering mess with this driver. I mean wtf are they doing except adding more bugs and breaking things? Once upon the time, Nvidia was a showmaker with drivers but they are a showbreaker with those alpha drivers.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    DirectX 12 and at worst it's a issue on the developers end for something the newer drivers improved or fixed now exhibiting issues instead or the game has some compatibility flag in place that is now hampering things instead.
    Developer support and letting them control these things will have drawbacks I assume when support ends and existing issues go unfixed. If there's less that AMD or NVIDIA can do but more that can break this is going to be a recurring issues until API usage and implementation matures which usually takes years.
    (Going back a bit for new features and additions until these become familiar for developers to utilize.)

There's been D3D12 and Vulkan fixes from both AMD and NVIDIA though so they can still plug issues or work around stuff but some of it takes time and likely ideally requires the actual game developers to co-work on fixing things on their end too.

EDIT: Someone with better insight here might be able to give a better answer, I see the low level API focus and developers given more control as a good thing but a long term one with several drawbacks in the meantime once support ends and issues go unfixed or focus lies on the next game or something else and support drops to basic maintenance at best.

If there's less that AMD/NVIDIA or also Intel can do in these situations these sort of situations and problems are going to be tough to resolve although the situation now is hopefully better than the first two - three years with DirectX 12 and Vulkan support and problems both driver and game/application side of things initially.
    (Sensitivity to other programs and methods of hooking these API's and much more could also be a issue.)

EDIT: Bah I suck at examples and all that so just doing it the easy way. :D

There's still games coming out using DirectX 11 in invalid ways and all sorts of issues and inconsistencies and problems, at least there's more of a thing the drivers can work with here but the API's been out for years and even bigger profile games from larger studios seemingly run into issues or there's less priority or testing or even effort on the PC port whatever the case is.

I expect DirectX 12 and Vulkan to have a long tough time ahead especially with all the fun things coming now with the new console generation and 12_2 or Ultimate and Vulkan whatever will be coming in 1.2 and newer. :)

Or this is nothing at all and it is the drivers that broke something and it just hasn't been investigated and resolved yet as other issues get prioritized and are more important in the immediate time frame. I wouldn't know that information though.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  4. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I realize this is a bit different but it came to my mind when I read this: Pillars of Eternity (fully patched first game) doesn't have real full-screen mode with the default d3d9 renderer (only with opengl but that one has it's own issues). The G-Sync indicator says ON, yet the otherwise smooth scrolling of the map obviously stutters if apply an fps capped below the refresh rate (for example, 58fps for 60Hz). LLM Ultra also doesn't apply it's auto-cap to this game in this fake-fullscreen (borderless) mode. Is this common to windowed (both borderless or smaller windows with borders) d3d9 games or specific to this range of Unity based games? Is this a G-Sync bug or the expected behavior? It was the same on Win10 1909 as it is with 20H1. Is windowed G-Sync still supposed to work on latest Win10 versions?

5. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI 12G
    I only get a black screen when i turn off my pc ,LOL ;)

6. mcplaza

mcplaza Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Eagle OC
    Using the 446.14 (and earlier ones) I had this problem with Chrome when Youtube was opened, not playing just opened. Later Chrome start getting black screen and it was necessary to turn hardware acceleration off and reinstall Chrome to enable hw accel again. Games crashed to Desktop, and sometimes the system froze, forcing a power off.
    About the black screen during game play, I suspect the engine is crashing due to overclock. If it is the case try to aliviate some settings.
    Check my video with settings and tests with 5 games.

MCP

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  7. pato9

pato9 Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060 S
    Hi guys, I think this driver is promising, but this version is not yet well optimized.
    Follow my tests, with eng subs for you!

RodroG, CapKrunch, Haki and 2 others like this.
  8. wanderjahr

wanderjahr Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I'm using a i7-930! But hey, I can play Metro Exodus and Monster Hunter World max settings at 60fps so I'm still hanging on!!

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Got the same problem and it's very easy to replicate (tried this with both Chrome and Microsoft Edge (Chromium)).
    1. Open Chrome and make sure HW acceleration is disabled
    2. Go to any page that needs scrolling (this forum for example) and make sure the window is at full monitor height
    3. Hold the middle mouse button and drag the mouse down slowly
    4. As the contents start scrolling sections of the window stutter and one can see a "line" in the middle-ish of the screen like tearing when V-sync is disable in games. In Edge this "line" is way more visible than in Chrome who rather has stuttering "sections" of the window that change from top to bottom depending on how the scrolling is done.
    5. Now enable HW acceleration, restart the browser, go to the same page and scroll up/down like before - problem gone.

I'll report this using the link you've provided earlier.

Terepin likes this.
  10. mcplaza

mcplaza Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Eagle OC
    Tested some games with a GTX 1660 OC non-super non-TI.
    Check here:
    MCP

11. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I had a chance to play rd2 twice this weekend, after an hour in both times I experienced a studded/jitter when turning or panning in game. It’s not picking up in afterburner as a memory leak and the FPS seem to be fine. I’m playing with hdr and hags enabled, only a restart fixes it. This did not happen in the previous driver so I’m going to turn off hags and see if it still happens.

12. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I got around to trying this driver with my 1080ti and Forza Motorsport 7 runs fine with it so, like Forza Horizon 3, the stuttering seems to be a Turing issue.

13. Ntavanos

Ntavanos Guest

GPU:
    MSI R5770 HAWK 1Gb
    Hello everyone!after the update i experience weird artifacts on screen wake up!1660ti mobile here..happened to anyone?

14. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 2080 SUPER
    Well, I'm stumped. OC or no OC, doesn't seem to matter. I've been running through 'Shades of Color' as a testcase since it seems one of the heaviest in the game. Sometimes it locks up within seconds, sometimes I can run around it for a fairly long time. I just tried 'A New Home', the first long Kara one, and I ran through that from beginning to end with optional objectives with no issues along with my OC on.

15. yurizinho182

yurizinho182 Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    I have a lot tearings in chrome and jedi fallen order (vsync on, 60 fps cap)

HAGS active

How i can solve it?

16. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    hmmm tried to search but....nobody having issue's playing video's with these drivers?

since installing them i had youtube/firefox crash my display driver a couple times and yesterday i noticed VLC is also capable of doing it.

at first i thought it was the hardware scheduling so i turned that off again but it still happens.

then i thought maybe it's my oc despite that having been stable for month's so i set it to stock and it still happens >.>

using a RTX 2070 Super btw

here i am having switched to a RTX 2070 super after the last update for forza 7 brought stutter back to my 980ti which had been working fine only to be greeted with a higher framerate but the same damn stutter...and now they probably fixed it on the 980ti wile seemingly perma broken on the RTX cards T.T

ugh i give up on forza 7 i'll just wait for 8 where there will atleast hopefully be toyota's and no stutter >.>

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  17. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte Nvidia GTX
    It could be. I have a RTX 2070 card.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Working as intended, you can't use GDI rendering and not expect tearing.

Turn hardware acceleration back on.

19. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Hm, I don't seem to have any stutters in Forza Horizon 3,4 and Forza Motorsport 7 on my 2080 Ti with 451.48 drivers in Windows 10 2004. Playing in 3840x2160 with everything maxed out, except motion blur turned off. I don't have HDR enabled, however.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've read your dispute with Terepin and I agree with him. Just like Terepin I turned off HAGS and the issue is gone just as the issue disappeared when I enabled HW acceleration when HAGS was enabled. I could try to make a video if you don't believe me.