Samsung Globally Launches Highest Performance Curved Gaming Monitor Odyssey G9

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2020.

1. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    I think the best two displays for gaming are now:
    - LG CX 48" OLED*
    - Samsung Odyssey G9

(and both have the problem of no videocard being able to use them at full capacity yet.... until Big Navi and Ampere)

They've left everything else in the dust.
    (ridiculous 360Hz 1080p TN doesn't count, that's just garbage)

*(must be careful not to leave the same image on it all the time, due to being an OLED, so start it, play a game or watch a movie/youtube, close it... that one is NOT for windows desktop/general use !)

2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    okey then, peak monitor whatever, now please move on to OLED already

Noisiv likes this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    "We're gonna need a bigger desks."

4. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Are youre wallet ready for high end Oled monitor?

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Another goram curved screen. These bloody kids and their bloody curved screens....:)

6. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Sadly there is no 4K in the gaming filter on Samsung listing.
    I am already on 1440p and searching actively a VA panel with 4K, HDR 1000 (with FALD from 512 up to 1024 local dimming zone), using VRR supported both by AMD & nVidia. I might have very enthusiast requirements, but i still haven't find the monitor meeting them for now.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    its not ready for LCD garbage

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Your still on the 1080 in your sig?
    4K is pretty demanding even for my RTX 2080 Super, so there are some games where I prefer to live with the added blur and use 2K res instead, just testing with a TN panel instead of my VA, while colors and black levels are not as good it doesn't blur as much when downscaling.
    HDR 1000 adds a lot of brightness btw. , so I prefer not to have HDR enabled in the Windows settings since it gets blindingly bright, it does look ok in the few games that have native support for it.
    Doubt that we will see anything better becoming mainstream a while, requires single GPU's in the lower end to become beefy enough to handle 4K with all the eye candy on top, enthusiasts are just a niche of the market.

I 'm considering going back to a 1440p high refresh rate monitor without caring to much about HDR, will probably get something cheaper than the G7 and avoid Samsung panels since they tend to be not so good in dark rooms.

9. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I am switching to Ampere high end below the "AMPERE TITAN RTX" by the end of the year. That's why i am actively seeking a 4k gaming monitor worth to buy (within my pretty nasty requirements ^^' )
    Even 2080Ti will have trouble at 4K Ray Tracing, that's why i didn't switch to 4k & turing at first. Now it's seems that with Ampere it's gonna be mature enough to support 4k without compromise.

I haven't spoke of RDNA2, but i am unsure they will compete at "3080Ti" level. But as i am seeking VRR instead of gsync only, i can take the high end from AMD if they perform at the required level too.

Mineria likes this.
  10. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    This would be the one and only VA panel that dosnt have horribad max respons times. So yeah i will tell you this is just another one. I can tell you more about it once the reviews are up