Philips Releases a big 55in 4k120Hz HDR1000 monitor with included Soundbar for 1299 euros

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Whoa!! :eek:

DeskStar likes this.
  3. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    Maybe now the prices on normal MONITORS ( 27' 32' HDR QHD ) will come down to earth ! .. . in the range of 300 - 400 euros

DeskStar likes this.
  4. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    55" 4K 120Hz and FreeSync for 1300€?

This is lovely

Basically all I need in my living room.
    Currently have a Samsung 55" 4K 60Hz with 100Mbps LAN interface (a bit slower than the WLAN), slow software full of bloatware and a stupid firmware that defaults to the speakers instead HDMI ARC (my default audio output) every single time I disconnect the bluetooth headphones.

DeskStar likes this.

5. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Sorry, what? 55", 4K, maximum 120 Hz? The LG 55B9 OLED costs less than this, has a superior picture quality and as far as I remember, it is also capable of 120 Hz. Who on Earth would chose this over a 55B9? Not to speak of that 120 Hz, however hard the 2 companies try to emphasize that 120 fps thing the fact is that most games in the PS5 reveal ran at 30 fps or maximum 60.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Do you expect 8k@120Hz or something?

7. obifrost

obifrost Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti
    No crap, VA is supplied by Samsung/AUO, but AUO is more present in other monitor brands than Samsung, so your point is invalid. If you want the "upgraded" VA then look no further, but QLED.

8. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    You're way better off getting the LG C9 for this money, crappy VA panel can't touch Oled...

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  9. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Keep dreaming.

10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Included soundbar ! I hope this is a trend that catches on like 2 versions one with and one with out for the ones that already have a good sound solution.

11. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    Obviously there is a catch...
    No HDMI 2.1, 4k 120hz is probably not full chroma subsampling, probably no 4k 120hz HDR as well.
    I bet this panel will have some downside like more ghosting than normal or something like that.
    Better wait for reviews, Phillips hasn't been the best in terms of IQ for quite sometime, probablt AUO panel.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    It's a monitor.. it has DisplayPort. 4K @ 120 easy peasy.

Something that LG TV's don't...
    I have one but my ancient GTX 1080 says "nope, only 60 Hz for you !"

DeskStar likes this.
  13. DanEVO7

DanEVO7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Duke 2080 Ti
    Also DP might mean G-Sync :)

DeskStar likes this.
  14. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Gimme GIMME.... GIMME!.!

15. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    I have a LG OLED65B9PLA
    You are right it dont have display port but what does it matter if its soon to have hdmi 2.1 for 4k 120 htz with far more bandwidth than display port. 1.3
    Granted right now im limited to 2560x1440 @ 120 htz but soon i will have 4k 120 htz over hdmi 2.1 with freesync
    It has gync but i be using freesync when they update the firmware.
    Colours just pop out of the screen and the latency is awesome. 8 ms in game mode i think.
    I wont ever go back to a ips or a va panel not after gaming on this thing.

PrMinisterGR likes this.

16. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    Here is my screen.
    yes you worry about burn in but you just remember to not keep the thing running wile you go to bed.
    but truth is it protects itself. if picture is paused it jumps to a screen saver after 60 seconds .
    if you have a static object on screen if will dim it ever so slightly without effecting the brightness of other parts of the screen as they are moving.Its pretty neat. i can run 4k 60 htz but for 120 HTZ i have to drop to WQHD but honestly it looks so dam good you dont notice the res drop.

17. h9dlb

h9dlb Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070
    Edge lit and no HDMI 2.1 - Load of crap.
    LG C9 TV's are far better than this new monitor for the same price

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    PrMinisterGR and Ricepudding like this.
  18. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    They are better indeed, it's just ... you can't use them at capacity due to lack of interfaces.

Ampere, Big Navi or nextgen consoles will change that.
    SOON.

19. Andy Watson

Andy Watson Master Guru

GPU:
    I wonder how good that soundbar is? B&W have a good reputation so will be interesting to see how it sounds. Most TV sound included is not so good without getting extra gear, so this might be a good choice for people who want someone that works just out of the box.

Monitor discussions on here are like phone discussions on Anandtech, I wait to see how many posts it takes before someone says it is rubbish and then gives an example of something better.

No doubt if this was about the LG OLED C9 that wouldn't last 3 posts before someone says "You are far better getting the xxxxxxxxxxxx"

:p

20. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sounds like a nice deal with the sound bar, but when compared to stuff already out there with both Samsung and LG both having 4k 120hz and over hdmi 2.1 which means can be used for consoles seem to be far superior.

I picked up a LG c9 recently after waiting for cx which was not worth the extra cost to it. And picked up my own sound bar instead. Now you can get a B9 for less than this at the same size and it being oled will have amazing response times for gaming. Guess the only downside is no display port, and hdmi 2.1 there is no gpus at the moment to use it, and only rtx cards and 16xx cards can use the higher frames at the moment.

Sadly found that out when my 1080ti couldn't go any higher than 60