The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Hello.

Can You guys recommend memmory for my ryzen build ? 3300x+ Gigabyte B550M Aorus pro , next year i will swap 3300x for Zen3. Im aiming for 3600/3733mhz and low timings.
    Anything that is not very expensive and can be overclocked nicely ?

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's a list let's see if I find it but for overclocking Samsung higher-tier B die chips are excellent...plus also really expensive and there's also lower quality B die binning for the less costly modules with higher timings and that complicates matters.
    (Voltage and performance scales well and timings go up nicely, memory can handle up to 1.5v allowing for further tweaking but yeah these modules are about the most costly out there.)

Micron E I think is below that one, scales pretty nicely too which can be really important if you want to tweak the speeds near the limits of what the hardware supports plus what the motherboard and bios supports as the XMP's are for a better word very lackluster.

The little chip in this only has some info not everything so it sets the clock speed and might only have a singular profile above standard speeds (2133?) then the primary timings, I believe secondary and tertiary timings or even the voltage can be scaled depending on what the board/bios has for tweaks and memory compatibility and training so that's important or you just set everything manually which is good but more complicated. :)

There might be better XMP's from some manufacturers and their memory kits but they are imperfect so it's not guaranteed to just work from flipping it active unfortunately, kit itself is binned for it but then the motherboard and processor and other matters also factor in.

I'm on a set of Trident something Z 3600 16-16-16-28(?) I think which besides the SSD these were the costliest component for this new system and memory module pricing keeps fluctuating so pricing just goes up and down back and forth plus occasional limited availability.

These are 2x 16 GB kits, pretty certain that's 8 GB dual rank so that's some extra load for the memory controller and then depending on the CPU it might be advantageous to go with 4 kits although when you do dual rank and higher speeds and lower timings you put additional strain and demand on what the hardware has to take.

I'm just a amateur but updating the bios to I think this is currently up to 1.0.0.2v2 AGESA I believe, B550's starting on the new model at 1.0.0.1 which versioning aside is a update over the prior model that ended at 1.0.0.6 for the X570's and now switched over to this new one or is in the process of doing so.
    (AGESA component being just one part but it's a important one for AMD hardware although vendor specific improvements memory kit compatibility in particular is also a good thing as is bug fixes like stable voltage being supplied to everything and all that.)

EDIT: There's one of those guides. :)
    https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4 OC Guide.md#integrated-circuits-ics

The circuitry bit here is very informative and I'd say also very important for what to expect and recommendations for something to begin with at least.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

5. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
  6. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    That 1:1 fabric clock though

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    IMO it's read error ;)

8. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I hope so.

9. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    1:1 now at 4200. Almost spit my coffee on the screen. Holy smokes that's fast. Getting really impatient for Zen3. Funny...son will get my current setup and the spare pc will now be the 1700X setup. Things are looking up.

AsiJu likes this.
  10. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I'm really hoping jzelektronik will do beta bioses for ASRock 300 boards with Zen 3 AGESA... ;)

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    [​IMG]

And that is why none of these awards make any sense. B450 is the best mobo. If these awards were serious, it would be sending a message that none of the X570 series boards are worth it; complete and utter junk. Then best GPU was NAVI 10. Clearly performance is only a minor part of the decision making process.

13. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Because money talks.... It's about the value for money otherwise the list would be dominated by HEDT stuff

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Maybe to some degree the value of money. Better label would have been Best Value Oriented ATX Motherboard. Then again, that is not the title of the award. Support for that reasoning is that best nvidia based gpu went to a 2080Ti and not a 2070 Super. That is why these awards are nothing but marketing pr fluff.

15. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    This is however, your opinion (as well as mine). The awards are entirely subjective however, if we read into their decision process, it's based on sales figures and then nominations from each partner from those sales figures. So when you consider that, it's quite plain to see why the Tomahawk is a winner, it's one of the best boards for features and durability (with it's price point) that has sold incredibly well.

The awards simply aren't just about which product is technically the best but which products have sold the best as well as offering the best value for money but then the next question is, how do we define what is the best for value?

HandR likes this.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD Ryzen 5000 'Cezanne' Desktop/Mobility APUs With Zen 3 CPU & Vega 20 GPU
    (Van Gogh to get Navi)

It is now exclusively reported by Igor Wallossek, that Cezanne silicon is still in an A0 stepping, which means an early stage of development.
    On the other hand, Vermeer (Ryzen 4000 desktop) is already on B0 stepping, which is more or less the final state and the processors should be ready for mass production.

So far, only the design of the Ryzen 5000 'Cezanne' APUs is confirmed and as we talked in our last report, the Cezanne generation of APUs will bring forward the new Zen 3 CPU architecture while re-using the Vega GPU architecture.
    The Cezanne family would be replacing AMD's Renoir Ryzen 4000 APU family which has been released on notebooks since April 2020 and will make its debut on the desktop AM4 platform in the coming months.

The Cezanne family will rely on the FP6 and AM4 package for mobility and desktop platforms while utilizing both new and enhanced core technologies.
    The new cores will be fused on the CPU side in the form of Zen 3 which are also making their way to the Ryzen 4000 Desktop CPUs codenamed as Vermeer.
    The Zen 3 Desktop CPUs will launch earlier than the Zen 3 APUs for mobility and desktop platforms which could be announced around CES 2021 followed by a proper launch in the coming months.

[​IMG]

AMD Ryzen 5000 Cezanne APUs are expected to feature Zen 3 CPU & Vega 20 GPU Cores. (Image Credits: Igor's Lab)
    The GPU side for the Cezanne APU lineup on all platforms will still be using Vega graphics. Although this particular Vega GPU would be a further enhanced version of the 7nm iGPU which we got to see on Ryzen 4000 'Renoir' APUs.
    The first A0 silicon features the Vega 20 GPU and once again, this is a internal codename for the GPU. It has nothing to do with the number of compute units which one might think it comes with 20 CUs which is practically impossible on the same package size.
    AMD's Radeon VII GPU also featured the Vega 20 GPU and it was mostly due to the fact that Vega 20 series is based on the 7nm GPU IP while Vega 10 series is based on the 14nm GPU IP.

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD Ryzen 7 4700GE Renoir APU Pictured & Benchmarked – 8 Cores, 16 Threads, DDR4-4333 MHz With 2166 MHz FCLK

The AMD Ryzen 7 4700GE 'Renoir' APU has been tested with high frequency memory & the overall results are just mind-blowing.
    The said chip will be part of the upcoming Ryzen 4000 'Renoir' APU lineup and expected to hit retail shelves in the coming month.

AMD Ryzen 7 4700GE 'Renoir' APU Gets Tested With DDR4-4333 MHz Memory, Under 50ns Latency & 2166 MHz FCLK

The AMD Ryzen 4000 'Renoir' desktop processors will be replacing the existing Ryzen 3000 lineup of APUs.
    Featuring AMD's 7nm Zen 2 CPU & Vega GPU cores, the Ryzen 4000 desktop processors will uplift performance in almost all regards compared to the older 12nm Zen+ CPU & older Vega GPU cores.

[​IMG]

The Ryzen 7 4700GE was seen in action today as indicated by the codename of the same which is 100-000000149-40_40/30_Y. The APU still seems to be in an early engineering state which is made evident by its clock speeds.
    The Ryzen 7 4700GE features 8 cores and 16 threads. The CPU comes with 4 MB of L2 and 8 MB of L3 cache which is due to the monolithic design that the Renoir APUs feature compared to the chiplet design on the standard Zen 2 based CPUs.

The CPU is supposed to feature clock speeds of 3.1 GHz base and 4.35 GHz boost but the ES chip runs at 3.0 GHz base and 4.0 GHz boost clocks. The APU also comes with Vega 8 graphics which is the equivalent to 512 SPs operating at 2000 MHz clock speeds. The Ryzen 7 4700GE operates at a TDP of 35W whereas the standard Ryzen 7 4700G APU will feature a 65W TDP.
    [​IMG]
    AMD Ryzen 7 4700GE gets tested on the ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E Gaming motherboard with DDR4-4333 MHz CL14 memory. (Image Credits: Teclab via Komachi)

Coming to the benchmark which was ran with AIDA64 Cache and Memory Benchmark, the Ryzen 7 4700GE was tested on an ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E Gaming motherboard with two 8 GB DDR4 sticks running at 4333 MHz memory speeds at CL14 timings (14-14-13-24).
    The infinity fabric clock can be seen maintained at 2166 MHz (FCLK) which is pretty amazing and show us what a monolithic chip with Zen 2 can achieve.
    Another leak from Chiphell points that AMD's Ryzen 4000 Renoir desktop APUs can actually maintain a infinity fabric clock of 2200 MHz.

[​IMG]
    AMD Ryzen 7 4700GE gets tested on the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact motherboard with DDR4-4333 MHz CL14 memory. (Image Credits: Teclab)

The CPU seems to be overclocked to 4.30 GHz on all 8 cores and 16 threads considering the speed doesn't match either the base or boost frequency of the ES part. In raw performance numbers, the Ryzen 7 4700GE was able to deliver a 49.1ns.
    But in a second test reported by HXL which was also conducted by Teclab, we see the CPU overclocked to 4.35 GHz and using CL14 timings of 14-13-13-28 on the same DDR4-4333 speeds but on the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact motherboard result in a latency of 47.6ns.

THX to Wccftech

19. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
  20. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Ditched my B-Die 4000Mhz 16GB kit and DDR4 B-Die 4133Mhz 32GB kit in favor of my CL19 3600Mhz 32 GB kit .

Downgrade the ram with same PC gaming performance and will gain a free 16GB kit by selling the B-Die 4000Mhz 16GB for the same price of the CL19 3600Mhz 32 GB kit. Just awesome Ram day lol