advice needed i7-4790k to r9 3900x

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by bmr1980, Jun 16, 2020.

1. bmr1980

bmr1980 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070 JetStream
    I currently have an Intel I7-4790K/16GB DDR3 1600Mhz and I'm thinking about upgrading to the following. I will be using the computer mostly for gaming @1440p and I will be running it stock.

Ryzen 9 3900x
    ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi)
    2x 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHZ

How much performance gain or it will peform worse?
    Is ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (Wi-Fi) a good motherboard?

2. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    FPS wise it will probably be identical. Ryzen is still behind Intel I pure gaming.

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    You might as well wait for xt, for gaming i`d say the 3900 is massive overkill, i went from i7 7700k to 3800x and while the gain is not that great... there is a boost over the 7700k, its just a shame that games like the division2 only use 10-20% of my cpu, you will have the option of using nvme over pci-e 4 to get extra nippiness

4. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    I went from 4790k @ 4.4ghz all-core w/2400mhz cl-11 memory (32gb in 4 8gb sticks) to Ryzen 3700x @ stock w/stock cooler and 3000mhz cl-15 memory 32gb (2x 16gb sticks dual rank) on x570 board.
    The single-core speeds weren't night and day different, a little better on the Ryzen but not much.
    The 1% lows were worlds better on the Ryzen.
    The comparison in Rimworld was people crawling on hands and knees on the intel chip VS running around like they were on fire with the Ryzen.
    Beamng.drive saw me able to run double the amount of vehicles, and my FPS was almost always higher by a good jump.
    File Zip/Unzip operations saw me have 3~5x the speed (yes), but this also has to do not just with cores or memory speed but speed of the NVME drive, too (my intel machine had a sata SSD).
    The machine ran much cooler and does not bake me out of the room like the intel did even when this has twice the cores of the intel machine.
    Do not understate the Ryzen supports many newer instructions that the older Haswell chip did not, and that the Haswell may be suffering from security patches due to vulnerabilities.

Waiting for the 3900XT isn't mandatory. There will always be new stuff right around the corner. If you get a good deal on an X chip vs an XT chip which is always expensive or MSRP for the first few weeks/months depending on availability, it would work out nice. Entirely, it's your choice. The XT models are stated to be out 7/7/2020, with pre-orders available starting the 16th. Also, B550 boards are stated to be available as-of the 16th (if incorrect, please update).

JUST GET 3200mhz~3600mhz RAM!!! No 2666!!! Ryzen is very reliant on having fast RAM as that's what speed the mesh between the chips talk to one another with. The speed increase is almost linear up to around 3600mhz (technically, up to 3733mhz, beyond that the Infinity Fabric ratio will drop and you'd have to go north of 4400mhz to see it get any better than 3733mhz performance).
    3200mhz CL-16 memory is good, 3600mhz CL-16 or 3200mhz CL-14 is better. Cas latency (CL) lower is better, obviously, mhz = higher is better.
    Don't pay a ton of money for cpu overclocking features, as it's best to let the Ryzen clock itself up or down as needed. Do get a decent cooler, like a Noctua D15 or something reasonably close, you don't need water/liquid cooling, but a 12 or 16 core ryzen is best served by at-least a Noctua cooler. Up to a 3700x/3800x is fine with an air cooler that it comes with stock. Check the Noctua website for cooler compatability with your desired motherboard.
    Try to make sure the memory you ordered is on your desired motherboard's memory QVL.
    If you wait to get a 3900xt or any xt model, make sure you get a motherboard with 'BIOS FLASHBACK' feature as you'll need to use this feature and update BIOS to make it 'see' the CPU before finishing your PC build. Otherwise you'll need an older supported CPU before you can update the BIOS and put in your new CPU.

So aside of fast RAM, buy whatever has the features you want or need, and make sure it's a good deal. The rest is up to you.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020

5. bmr1980

bmr1980 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070 JetStream
    Thank you all for your replies

6. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4070 TI
    No, that's not correct for 1440p.

For a resolution of 1440p a 3700x will achieve the same frame rates as a 3900x.

Always use 3200-3600MHz memory for Ryzen 3000 series cpu's.

I've had an Asus TUF running since November of last year with a 3800x, 2070 Super and 1440p 144Hz monitor. Great gaming pc. I've not had a single issue since the first boot after assembly.

Would a current Intel cpu get a few more frames, yes. Would you be able to tell difference while gaming? No.

I've built Intel pc's because AMD wasn't even a consideration for so many years due to poor performing products. That's definitely changed and AMD offers very good performance at great price points. And you don't need extreme and somewhat expensive cooling options with AMD cpu's.

At this point in time either Intel or AMD cpu's will provide a great gaming experience. The 3700x and 10600k are just about perfect for 1440p and very similar gaming performance. So whatever is cheaper is the best choice :)

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    @5min +

8. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    your first video pretty much shows the 3700x coming in at just slightly above the 4790k. That’s not what I would call a “noticeable” improvement. Of course a faster card than the 1080ti used would likely widen the gap due to it being bottlenecked. Needless to say doing anything else while gaming will take its toll on the 4c/4t CPU so even a browser window or two would be better off with a 3600/x or higher.

9. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Well, I went from a 4.4GHz 4690k (so, my old CPU was set to the boost clocks of a 4790k) to 3700X and I've seen massive gains in performance, my 4690k actually bottlenecked my R9 Fury, I also game at 1080p where the CPU performance is noticed.

The GN video linked above actually shows that a 3700X achieves anywhere between ~15% to ~60% improvement depending on the title.

In my experience, going from Devils Canyon to Zen2, you will indeed see a massive improvement

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Which video did you watch? 18-30% gains with a CPU on the same video-card aren't dramatic enough? What was there, 2 games where the 3700x only wins by 2%? That's not even discussing it just annihilating that i7 by every other metric.

The 4790K is a legend of a processor, but I think the 4/8 thread processor's time has passed. Anyone building today would be foolish to get anything less than a 6 core for a gaming rig. I am moving from a 4790K to a 3800X in a couple days. I have been getting massive lag spikes at 3440x1440 on some newer titles. It's become effectively obsolete. A $120 i3 these days has almost identical specs to a 4 series i7 and similar performance.

11. learners permit

learners permit Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt
    I switched from an air cooled 6950X to an air cooled 3800X and never looked back. The only difference to me is the BTU's I have to endure have dropped considerably. Frame rates across the board are almost identical with a few exceptions the variance goes both ways. This cpu rarely gets over 65C in some of the more demanding titles and I don't feel like I'm melting during a marathon gaming session.