AMD to postpone Zen 3 processors to 2021 due to weak competition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    As far as it doesn't push back Zen4, I am fine with it.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Intel is strugling and Amd starting to not inculde cpu coolers, increasing prices and now delaying the zen3 just so they can sell more of the now overpriced zen2 cpus.

4. jose2016

jose2016 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8gb
    The new cpus that don't have a heatsink I imagine it's because they need a pretty efficient one and the ones they have so far won't reach that level.
    The prices of the new XTs, if they are finally those, which I don't think they are, would be a nonsense, but if the competition has always done it, they might sadly follow Intel's lead.

schmidtbag likes this.

5. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Oh F...

My new build just got delayed until summer 2021, maybe we got some competition by then.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    More time for them to ramp-up production. Good/bad? Time will tell.
    Because it provides more time to MB manufacturers for new AGESA BIOS testing too.

Does someone remembers how many months you had to wait for your Zen2 based CPU to be available?

7. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    suffering from success

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Does the lack of competition prevent from earning the money for your products?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    EspHack and olymind1 like this.
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Unexpected news, but makes sense - they wish to capitalize as much as possible on the current situation. Besides that Covid has also influenced sales, so I think they want to wait till global economy heats up in order to maximize the value of their next gen launch.

I do hope that in the mean time they will refine the hardware/software sides of their CPUs.

Humanoid_1 and Strange Times like this.
  10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think AMD didn't get much revenue when competing with Intel, trying to sell as cheap as possible and increase AMD system users.

Now that they have more dominant position, they might start to raise the price to make up for their investment.

Ricardo likes this.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I saw this one coming ever since the 3000s XT series rumors, it would have made no sense to launch those and then 3 months later the 4000s...

jbscotchman and Corbus like this.
  12. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Pushing back Zen3 will have ramifications for any future Zens as well, of course.

Solfaur and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    And now we want Intel's competition to keep AMD from producing new models.

14. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I think the truth is a mix of all factors.
    They are not in a position from which they can already rise prices just because of it.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Way to go AMD.... not. Of course my rant below is given with the fact in mind, and heart, that this is true, and there will be no Ryzen 4k CPUs until probably mid 2021 or more likely, late 2021 for the upper spectrum of their consumer CPUs:

Economical thoughts and guesses: with the desktop segment, they're willingly missing out on sales since people won't buy their refresh CPUs like they would do with a new generation. It's basically selling off old mainboards and selling off slightly better fabbed CPUs (with better yields) of last year. I see that this might push down costs for products and thus their profits per SKU, but actually I believe it's crippling sales since the consumer market for Ryzen 3K processors and mainboards probably is sated. Seriously, who buys a new AMD system right now? Do they really think people buy this stuff just because they got nothing better because they're effectively selling off shelf warmer hardware? And last I checked Intel sold a huge load more CPUs in total, never mind "85% segment in Europe" (which I totally doubt in Hilbert's article, even though I'd fancy that), so much for "weak competition".
    On the server segment, I can imagine it doesn't do too much. Either AMD is still filling old contracts for data centers, or they are anyway giving the pro segment the advantage over the consumer segment in terms of offering newer generations of CPUs / nodes.

Also, this means downward corrections of any earnings calls and probably a dip in share prices (worse outlook for 2020 with less income). I too expect AMD now to drop again instead of constantly testing upper limits, technically a sell signal.

I'm just amazed at the sentiment of willingly losing out on an advantage against the competition, which was fought for so hard. I don't see why any company should want to do this besides having issues they're not telling people about, or deliberately postponing a good product because they have nothing ready afterwards. It helps Intel to catch up and reorganise after they were clearly feeling AMD's push, which makes less sales with more profit, but eventually still coming out below a hypothetical launch. And that while Intel laughs as OEMs still sell their old crap and as well for desktop DIY users to some extent, and they have effectively one year more time to fix all their issues of security and nodes as well. And we know a year can change a lot with Intel's cash.

And guys, picture this: as AMD has caught up to Intel, they are now doing even less than Intel! Intel at least offered 5% increase with a yearly new generation, with AMD you don't even get a new generation once they're "ahead" of the competition. This is just ironic and if stagnating tech with Intel was a reason to complain on the red team, now the same people should be complaining about that too since AMD does nothing in 2020 at all. I do.

From a buyer's perspective I'm just upset and feel irritated. I have been waiting for this release since 2019 already, wanted to upgrade H2 this year (since release of anything coming after Ryzen 3k was already postponed due to Covid), so now I have to wait two years for AMD's next CPU release? Are you kidding me, you can't be serious... this is ****** up... and we are not even talking about availability which will be utter crap as to be expected with AMD... thanks for again making me wait, effectively two and a half years eventually, especially when suddenly another typhoon hits southeast Asia? And no I don't want crap refresh CPUs which probably perform just about as well as a properly cooled release from 2019... Right now, at this moment, I don't want to buy an AMD CPU and no Intel CPU either.

And this is for you AMD:

[​IMG]

jura11 and Goiur like this.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    On other hand, what's come after? AM5? With DDR5? Cost bump on new platform from all components which are not even being made today?
    Maybe AMD wants to prolong AM4's life a bit because projections for AM5 ecosystem are not as good for one reason or another. Likely impact of COVID delays on entire industry.

ManofGod and cryohellinc like this.
  17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    That was expected. They must sell new models launched a little while ago. It didn't make sense to bury XT variants in one quarter of a year time. Personally I prefer this way. To save money and buy other things like better mobo, ram, monitor, console, etc. By then we will have gpu wars over.

Solfaur likes this.
  18. Drazen

Drazen Member

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    AMD is launching too much lately and question is do we need this?
    Do we need 4 totally new motherboards? For end user this only means current ones will be depreciated -> buy new one! Same for CPUs.
    But, we must be aware there is no difference between AMD and Intel. Both are big companies thinking only about money, sorry, stockholder value. To get a new cent they will screw every one, every time.

19. Luc

Luc Active Member

GPU:
    RX 480 | Gt 710
    Digitimes, the same people a week ago said that Zen 3 will be on 5 nm... Now they'll be late on 7 nm EUV...

Their news must follow a big rumor warning sign...

Nothing more to say until I see real info, I don't trust rumors, even less from the same magazine that every week contradicts itself or claim obvious common sense knowledge as news...

Loophole35 likes this.
  20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Did people really expect AMD to just keep churning out CPUs with a reckless abandon for their own profits?