Star Citizen raised over $300 million USD to date

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    And the game is still an Alpha. We've been discussing the tactics and revenue stream for Star Citizen quite a number of times. Is it a cash-cow for thehigh-ranking people or not? Well, whatever they ...

Star Citizen raised over $300 million USD to date

chispy likes this.
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Ok, release aside, have this project brought anything new to the table? Like new technology or something else, so it benefits other games or programs?

3. terrybogard

terrybogard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 2080 RTX
    It's going to be great when it finally is released :D I am really looking forward to the final release :D Even though it might take years, it is surely worth the wait :D

TekkMarine likes this.
  4. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I've given up hope for this game, with the amount of time and money raised it should of been out ages ago, been in development now for 9 years. Lovely sounding project and game, but by time it comes out It might be outdated haha. One of those games with too much ambition and maybe poor mangement. But somehow it has endless money going its way so who knows another 9 years and we might see it? haha

chispy, Hypernaut and Fediuld like this.

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    :D Just :D do :D not :D put :D smilies :D all :D over :D the :D place :D, I :D am :D not :D sure :D if :D you :D are :D joking :D or :D srs :D

moneyman8, Brasky, Ricardo and 3 others like this.
  6. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It won't be outdated, if they constantly updating it, just not released :D

Ricepudding likes this.
  7. Crazy Joe

Crazy Joe Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090/24GB
    This game is one gigantic Whale hunting exercise. As long as the money keeps flowing in, they'll keep up with the over-promising and under-delivering. Chris Roberts will throw out a slick new trailer with a whole lot of promises he'll never be able to keep, just so the funding keeps coming in.

This thing has long since turned into the Freelancer Saga v2.0, except now there is no publisher holding Chris Roberts accountable. And all these dreamers will keep fantasizing and theory crafting about what this game will be when it is finally done, with not a bad word allowed to be said by anybody.

Quite frankly, this game has turned into a cult and the ones who've sunk a lot of their money into it, can't escape the clutches of the cult unless they can wake up and see what they really got themselves into.

They should change their profiles and add the line "Member of the Cult of Roberts" and be done with it.

8. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Exactly. Any serious criticism and you get attacked with pitchforks as heretic.

Let alone Star Citizen has run actually out of money. Jan 2019 brought in an investor to be able to pay the year bills. January this year brought another investor to keep the project afloat.

Which makes the 2018 Forbes article true, they had run out of money and needed investors. And this is huge news, because Roberts was adamant for years that no investors will be brought to the project to have control over it.

And on what? The game is still a tech demo and the final game would have a lot of limitations that were never on the initial presentation. The game was sold as a big MMO and now we find that the amount of people in sectors will be limited, and there will be a queue. They just added world persistence this year.

That alone (the world persistence) shows how badly designed and managed this project is. A core feature that should have been developed from the start of the game 9 years ago like all MMOs have it from day one.

chispy likes this.
  9. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Elite is the example of how it should have been done. You pick one bit, you make a finished game. You expand it a step at a time (e.g. Elite is going to get a running around on foot expansion). Elite the finished game costs very little for the whole game with all the ships, the expansion will be a single cost as well. No need to spend $26000 dollars.

Crazy Joe, chispy and Ricepudding like this.
  10. nwc

nwc Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    I enjoy playing it and boot it up a few hours evey week. Spent $45 and got my monies worth playing with friends. Maybe I'm wrong.

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Maybe Roberts needs to keep his Koenigsegg up to date. It's not cheap.

I bought a ship package about when the game went public, after the initial Kickstarter. It seemed like a superb product and idea back then. I can't say I would be crying over those lost 50 euros, or something, anymore, after all these years. What I can't understand, however, is how people still keep pumping money in it and how the project can be lacking money. Unless Roberts and his cohorts really used most of it for things that had nothing to do with the game.

Fediuld, chispy and carnivore like this.
  12. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    If they can get Squadron 42 beta out this year and it shows some kind of promise, then I think this project can still get money from people/investors. If they cant deliver beta or it is a horrible mess, then I do not think that there is much hope for Star Citizen.

After you have spent enough money you just keep spending a little more and hope that you get something. If you stop spending money, then all you spent previously is wasted.

EspHack likes this.
  13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I suppose that's how the psychology works in cases like this.

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    ETA for release 2050.

sykozis, Fediuld and chispy like this.
  15. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Ha, yeah we'll be playing Star Citizen in space.

Fediuld and chispy like this.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Tried SC recently, in it's current state it isn't a game I would play, cba. to google for what to do next or asks in general at the very start of a new game.
    Not used a single penny on it and neither planning to, to me it seems way to easy to create fund raisers and pre launches and afterwards screwing people who payed, there was one game on Steam which I pre-purchased some years ago, my first and last, that game went into none existence.

chispy likes this.
  17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Tesla will have actually released a car that people can drive on the road by then too.

18. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I'll never understand people capable of sinking hundreds of their currency on something that's not finished or have a proper basis. It's like betting on poker, you probably going to lose.

Fediuld and chispy like this.
  19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I got SC for "free" back when I bought my R9 290. Came with an exclusive ship. Still never played the game. It was appealing to me at first but the amount of feature-creep is ludicrous. They just kept over-complicating the game, never polishing anything, never completing anything. It's now overwhelmingly complicated for me to want to get into it. It has a lot of really cool ideas but the game is a jack of all trades and isn't especially refined in anything. Maybe one day I'll try it; maybe the single player. Kinda funny how by the time that might happen, I'll have a different GPU.

I'll never understand who sink hundreds into any game, let alone an incomplete one.

Fediuld, chispy and Silva like this.
  20. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    So in other words you are admitting it's a scam that will never be finished? If they constantly have to update the engine because it's getting old and outdated they will never be able to finish...