AMD Ryzen 3 4300U can play Crysis, even with the CPU cooler removed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    It remembers me good old days of frying..

my pan is ready :) AMD was great too - for smoke signaling:) I guess that master chielf Jensen could make special about in full leather with leather hosen..

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You know that it was anti AMD bullshit. Or you believe that Pentium 4 Throttled heavily when at 29°C. Pentum III at 38°C

Neo Cyrus and Silva like this.
  4. mgilbert

mgilbert Member

GPU:
    16 GB DDR3
    There was a time when that would have instantly destroyed the CPU, with a resulting very loud pop. I used to build computers for a living, so ask me how I know this!!!

Gonokhakus likes this.

5. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    How time have changed. I remember how much damage that would cause a CPU in the olden days. This is some damn good thermals and other protections that this CPU has. Nice job AMD.

6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Glad we finally have good intelligent chips that can protect themselves and run on the edge of performance.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think people here are missing the point.... CPUs from nearly 20 years ago could thermal throttle their performance to prevent cooking themselves alive. The thing that's impressive here is that a single naked chip can run Crysis pretty smoothly. This would be a lot less impressive if there was a discrete GPU.

Fox2232 likes this.
  8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Wow that was neat. Seriously that the CPU can run a pretty heavy game, without a GPU and without a CPU cooler is freaking cool. Pun intended.

9. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    You are really die hard AMD fanboy.. it was just reality, it would take some movie like special effects to fake it. AMD fixed it with next cpu line, there was autoshutdown feature too.

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    New benchmark on the horizon? Can it play a game without a cooler and if so how long will it last before it throttles to unplayable.

reix2x likes this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Read again what I wrote. Concentrate. And think really, really hard. Once you are done, do it again, because: "Third time's a charm."
    Or maybe not for you.

What I wrote should not have made you think about AMD's old CPUs burning or not. But about statement that intel's CPU had 29°C while thermally throttling under full load.

12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    This will be a big help to the folks who can't figure out how to properly apply thermal paste.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Or in this case, laptop manufacturers who can't make a half-decent cooling solution.

Venix, reix2x and Caesar like this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    It wasn't.

none of the K7 or lower amd chips implemented clock divisor thermal throttling, what you see there is exactly what happens when you power up a AMD chip before Athlon64 without the heatsink attached.

Intel's thermal throttling would drop the chip to as little as 100mhz, bringing down temps substantially without the ihs on.

Once the chip was in thermal throttle, it compared clockspeed to temperature and didn't clock back up if it wasn't beneath an undisclosed temperature.

yasamoka likes this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Basically never in summer since they measured 29°C.

16. Gonokhakus

Gonokhakus Member

GPU:
    RX 570
    Bloody hell, it even runs it more smoothly than my old desktop (only slightly, but still).

17. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There was a shutdown temperature setting in non budget Socket A motherboards that worked fine at shutting down the pc to prevent hardware damage.
    That setting was turned off or a budget motherboard was used in the Toms Hardware test.

As Fox2232 already says, the temperature measurement Toms Hardware guide makes is not carried out correctly, touchless temperature sensors do not show the correct temperature on shiny surfaces, evidence to that is shown in the original heat sensitive camera video of the Ryzen 3 4300u, that shows the naked CPU core cooler then the motherboard that is heated up by the CPU.
    If something black and not mirror finished was put on the CPU, the camera would show the correct temperature of the CPU.

Basic school taught me that removing a cooler that would be around 50 degrees C, makes it impossible for the CPU to drop down to 29 degrees and then wait for the still 45-50 degrees warm heatsink to be put back in place again, to speed up to normal speed.
    That does not make sense in any way, and Toms Hardware guide should have noted that the measurement was unrealistic and therefore not valid.

Fox2232 likes this.
  18. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's cool. It also means "just get the cheapest one without the heatsink, save-up and get a good heatsink later on..." advice will be a thing in the future.

19. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    great news, DerBauer made a ryzen video about that a few months ago, intel downclocked and undervolted while amd was keeping an ultra high voltage became too hot to be useable
    this means they started working on fixing my main complaint about current amd, the way it idles and handles low usage

20. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    It's really cool that you can see the individual parts of the die just from the different heat signatures they give off. Almost mesmerising!