Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Erratic Frametimes

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Dan, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Dan

Dan Active Member

GPU:
    6700 RX
    Is anyone else who owns DQB2 on steam getting issues with irregular frametimes as in the image below? It's the first time I've booted it up since clean installing Win10 2004 (19041.329) + nvidia drivers 446.14.

Running the game either fullscreen or borderless makes no difference, neither does disabling any overlays. No other game is affected by this issue and there's no results when searching on google, plus the framerate is a solid 60 the whole time, so I'm a bit clueless as to what's happening.

[​IMG]

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have played this absolutely superb game for over 150 hours and only noticed one instance of stuttering framerate for a couple of seconds and even then that was likely a Windows process that decided to run in the background. Otherwise, this game has been running at a flawless and consistent 16.6ms according to RTSS at a locked 60 fps on my PC at maxed out 2560x1440 settings. I was running it unlocked and it ran perfectly fine - I have a 165 Hz G-SYNC display - but I felt that it did not benefit the game in anyway so decided to cap it. Can't remember if the framerate was unlocked or not though so apologies if the max is 60 fps.

If you are having issues with framepacing then I would suggest using RTSS to force whatever framerate you want. This game is the most consistent 60 fps I have ever seen on PC. Most other games that are capped at 60 fps tend to show framerate times that waver between 16.1 and 16.9ms but with DQB2 and a 60 fps cap it is a perfect 16.6ms. And I mean absolutely perfect 16.6ms, no deviations at all while it was locked at 60 fps. The RTSS frametime line was completely flat and not at all like yours.

Super addictive game by the way for anyone else reading. I would almost recommend you do NOT buy it for that reason as time just ceases to exist while playing it. Minecraft was boring for me but this just adds so much character and charm and appeal to the game by adding light RPG elements and an engrossing though simplistic story that takes around 80 hours to complete but much longer if you choose to build up your communities and explore like I did.

P.S. I'm using Windows 10 Pro v2004 and an i7-4770K at 3.9 GHz with a GTX 1080 Ti.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    cerebus23 likes this.
  3. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    gawd i just saw it though meh minecraft with toriama characters that all look the same at this point, he barely tries anymore not that he has not earned it. :p.

4. Dan

Dan Active Member

GPU:
    6700 RX
    That's weird that I'm having this issue then :/

I have a 240hz Gsync monitor and my first thought was that the game was trying to limit to 60 but also trying to render at my desktop refresh of 240hz. I've tried limiting fps to 60 via rtss which is better but still fluctuates frametimes between 15ms and 17ms.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Perfect 16.6ms 60 FPS on my system and I have loads of stuff running in the background as well (Steam, Uplay, Origin, Battle.net, Epic Game Launcher, Bethesda Game Launcher, etc). The game is relatively undemanding though in my experience with low CPU and GPU usage at 2560x1440.

I’m on Windows 10 Pro v2004 and currently using the v451.22 developer driver but played the game mostly on the official v445.xx/v446.xx drivers if that helps? Game is installed to hard drive rather than an SSD.

6. Dan

Dan Active Member

GPU:
    6700 RX
    I managed to 'fix' the problem by switching my desktop refresh to 60hz from 240hz. Obviously it's not ideal but I don't really know any other way to fix the issue. I'm still getting little asset loading stutters every so often but I'm assuming that's the game engine.