Desperados III

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TheDeeGee, Feb 20, 2020.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
  2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Nice!

Tactical or strategy games aren't my favourite genre but I liked Desperados a lot.

3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    This is developed by the people, who created Blades of the Shogun, no? If so, the IP is in good hands.

4. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim

dark_surge likes this.

5. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    I'm looking forward to trying it out. #2 was frustrating at times, but overall enjoyable for me at the time. As I get older I gravitate more and more towards slower paced games too, so chances are this will be a good fit for me.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  6. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  7. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  8. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    By the way full steam version was leaked days ago already.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Never played any of the previous versions of the game but I liked the GOG demo enough to pre-order this game from CDKeys.com (where is cost just £24.49 versus the £44.99 on Steam!). It runs on Unity, which usually rings alarm bells for me as a lot of games that used earlier builds of that engine suffer from horrid stuttering, but this demo ran smoothly for me even from a hard drive so that's a good sign that is optimised, I guess.

Not got the key yet but then this is not released until tomorrow, I believe.

10. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I had enough fun in the GoG demo that I went ahead and pre-ordered it off GoG. It definitely gave me nostalgia of playing the OG Desperados and Commando games. The pre-order bonus was actually good, as it seems that I got the deluxe edition with the DLC for the price of the normal game.

I wish games kept doing demos. It's a good way to get me more interested in the game!

11. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    do see more and more demos popping up for different games.

12. Rafnagud

Rafnagud Master Guru

GPU:
    INNO3D RTX 4080
    I didn't know there was a demo released on GoG. Thanks for pointing that out :D. I like the demo but i hope they do something about the quality of the Rock textures.

Kolt likes this.
  13. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I noticed that too recently. Really good thing! I hate that demos got quietly snuffed out as common practice in the past. At least we can refund games easily with most platforms, but I would much rather play a quick demo than go through that.

TheDeeGee and cerebus23 like this.
  14. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Game is really good fun. Probably more so for me because it is just so different from what I normally play and I dig the western theme with its brilliant almost Ennio Morricone inspired musical score and decent writing/voice acting. Only played to the third level but so far the level design is very good and there's tons of replayability trying different things out. There's even a cool overhead map-style replay mode which you can watch and/or save post-mission completion too.

Hopefully, this final build is less buggy; it's not that the game runs bad or anything (it runs great maxed out at 2560x1440 with 200% render scaling at a locked 60 fps for me) nor has it crashed, it's just that I encountered an annoying bug in the demo where one of my two playable characters got stuck between two crates and could not move, even after a reload. Unfortunately, I had quicksaved after this so my only option was to restart the level. Mildly annoying. I watched another review on YouTube that mentioned the sticking on scenery issue too (ACG). Also, some of the NPCs act a bit odd but I guess that's just the nature of having an RTS where enemies have cone shaped line of sights that fill up if they see you and decrease when you step out of sight. Most of the time it works but sometimes it feels a bit too video-gamey and easy to exploit, if you know what I mean, but then I suppose this really plays more like a puzzle game where you have to work out how best to take out enemies without alerting the others. It's what makes it so entertaining.

Good game though so far. Definitely glad I bought it at that price (£24.50).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    AsiJu likes this.
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Remember when computer magazines used to have CDs or floppy disks bundled full of demos?

Good times!

Kolt likes this.

16. The Fitter

The Fitter Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 ti oc
    Ain't that the truth. I turn 50 later this year and I can't recall the last time (no pun) I gamed online. Single player only and turn based often.
    I intend to go for Heavy Rain as soon as it's on Steam but even the demo had me missing the key presses. (I'm sure I used to be pretty good at CS 1.3 back in the day).

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    So bought this yesterday, finally.

Time played so far: 7.5 h

So yeah pretty good :)
    The showdown mechanic is damn genius and I've only used it with 2 characters.
    Looking forward to using it with a full roster.

At the mission where you need to escape the wedding with Cooper and Kate.

Strange this game didn't get more attention but I guess the genre (RTT) combined with the theme (western) makes it a bit niche.

Like Darren said very good fun and the soundtrack is sublime.
    Best played via decent audio system and speakers with a bit of bass.

Pet pieve of mine is Cooper's voiceactor.
    He fits the role but og. actor had a bit rougher voice and sounded a bit less snarky.
    The guy who plays Cooper's dad should be Cooper, imo.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Kolt likes this.
  18. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    this is on my wish list. il take it on the next big sale, im having less time lately to finish games i already started.
    from what iv seen so far it looks like a solid\polished game.

19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    It is.

If you liked previous Desperados games or like RTT like Commandos in general, well worth the price.

RTT isn't even my favourite genre but I really like Desperados 1 and 3 (missed 2).

This game openly encourages save scumming too. It will remind you if you haven't saved in X minutes (can be turned off).
    Has quicksave and quickload keys as well.

Missions have hidden "bonus" objectives too but these are for achievements only as far as I can tell.
    As in saving all civilians in a mission will not give you some advantage on a later mission. As far as I know, could be wrong too.

The map replay after each mission is super neat, showing your movements and actions, kills per character and total saves and loads.
    Of course the run it shows you is the latest but it still tracks how many times you loaded a save per each "area" and in total.

Kolt, Elder III and coc like this.
  20. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Guys, must give this game a bit more praise:

Story and characters are well written which is a major incentive to keep playing.
    I lately got to the bit where you learn what happened to John in the past and the moment was quite brutal to be honest.
    Okay you can easily guess what happened but how it happened was a bit of a shock.

Last but not least: this is a Unity engine game with a proper exclusive fullscreen mode. Well done!

I could say lots more but the more you discover for yourself the better.

Well maybe to cap off I'll emphasize the gameplay is superb, pulling off some tricky multistep stunt with surgical precision is really satisfying.
    Also the game "sticks to its own rules" really well, meaning the more you play the less you have to rely on save scumming.

But definitely a game for the patient, missions can take from upwards an hour to 2 ... 3 hours on first run, at least if you aim for a clean run (no alarms, damage taken, civilians killed).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Kolt likes this.