Crosstalk vulnerability in Intel processors allows information to be extracted from other cores

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 11, 2020.

1. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Oh my.....oh my........OH MY..!.?!.?! When will this vulnerability train ever stop "chuffing" along?!?

2. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX Merc BE
    It almost feels like Intel is dying. I hope it's not for the CPU market's sake.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's fine, my Pentium III 4770K can't get any slower anyways.

mohiuddin likes this.
  4. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Every month i post the same...
    Another month another security hole

angelgraves13 likes this.

5. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Well it certainly can. It can be patched to become a Pentium II 4770k. U never know. U may Enjoy "Antique" level of performance. :p

6. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    We recently just moved a lot of are Intel based systems and firewalls and such to AMD Eypc, purely because there new exploit every couple of months with Intel, and when your safe guarding your company behind a firewall last thing you want is a CPU full of flaws that need to be patched consistently and not to mention the performance degradation and downtime to do these updates/bios updates. Not saying AMD Eypc are exploit free but they are in far better place then Intel currently is in.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    Ricardo, Fender178 and TheDeeGee like this.
  7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    you can find a destription of 2 of the instructions effected here https://software.intel.com/content/...the-difference-between-rdrand-and-rdseed.html

Basically since applying this specific mitigation to all instruction would leave you with a pentium 2 , intel has opted to only enable it for instructions of cryptographic significance, ie security key generation ect.

you can find a list here https://software.intel.com/security...ffected-special-register-buffer-data-sampling

it would appear comet-lake and icelake is not affected,

Alarmingly it seems intel has known about this since mid 2019, and didn't disclose it until after they launched patched chips.....

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Well after the first bomb dropped then everyone just looking for exploits i have a feeling after meltdown etc is security researchers favourite arc to keep finding exploits for it , it seems.

9. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)
    Intel Inside is the gift that keeps on giving all year round :)

It's like a one year membership to the Jelly of the Month Club :p

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Just wow!
    What next?

11. I_Eat_You_Alive

I_Eat_You_Alive Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 10GB
    At this rate in the next year or so AMD will have the market share in both the desktop and server markets. More exploits means more businesses saying it is not worth the loyalty to Intel and go with the superior AMD product at the moment. Intel is one big lawsuit away from being a distant memory with all of these purposely hidden exploits. If someone large enough gets hit with an exploit Intel knew about and did not disclose it and they suffer a large enough loss it could cost Intel billions in damages. Personally I think Intel should pull their processors off the market till they get sh#t straight. The only Intel based computer I have left is a 4970 Devil's Canyon in a legacy gaming box that is no longer connected to the internet running a bios before all of the microcode updates and all of the windows fixes removed. If it needs an update for anything it gets downloaded and applied locally; my network is to important to play the lottery with an intel chip on the web.

12. Gonokhakus

Gonokhakus Member

GPU:
    RX 570
    "Mouldy" was about 1y ago, the cheese is now with a life of its own and attending school

In all seriousness though, at least the newer arcs (cascade and ice lake) are relatively safe from this. As much as i want AMD to get and stay ahead (not enough to get Intel-lvl complacent, just enough to keep it competitive for at least another 3-4 years), these many consecutive kicks while they're down are just becoming sad to watch (or worse, if you're buying stuff online / got a server with intel inside)

13. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    That is ignorance at the most extreme, doesn't matter if your PC is impacted or not it's servers that host your data, credit card information, Banks, personal identifiable data etc passwords accounts is where you need to worry.

Fender178, Venix and carnivore like this.
  14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    those fps though :p security be darned those few fps are the most important thing ! :p

carnivore likes this.
  15. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    It's OK, I don't need to worry about any of this because AMD fanboys do all the worrying for me :D
    Totally! 10900K and 3080Ti here I come.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah and Intel fanboys deny that the vulnerabilities actually exist. That is the vibe I am getting from your post here.

Dazz likes this.
  17. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Not denying anything, it's just not as big of a deal as sensationalist articles on tech websites and "super concerned" forum users make it out to be. I mean just look at posts in this thread. No one even cares what this vulnerability truly is and what it does. All this is just fuel for AMD vs Intel fight. So I was just making fun of the whole situation.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You've been told how it is something you should worry about, since it doesn't really have to do with your individual PC (though it could). Yet you replied to that in a sarcastic, AMD fanboys nonsense. This implies you either truly have no understanding why these exploits are something to worry about, you didn't read what was stated or maybe you just never buy stuff online or put personal information anywhere?

Sure seems like denial to me.

Dazz and carnivore like this.
  19. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Yes yes, my bank account will get hacked and all money gone, global anarchy and Y2K 2.0, all thanks to evil Intel overlords. Random forum users said so on the internet, so it must be true.

mbk1969 likes this.
  20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Mostly stuff like username/passwords. Nothing else major.