Sony PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Not a fan of how it looks, I find it quite ugly.

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Looks cool, but the Xbox 5 is easier to dust off :p

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    The show

Ive also posted the trailers in this section for you guys to enjoy!

Loobyluggs likes this.
  4. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Seen from the front, especially the Digital Edition, doesn't look too different from the XBOX 360 design.

Maybe it's my age but when the PS2 was revealed I remember a lot of people (or articles, in magazines) claiming how it 'just looks so flat', squished and unremarkable. When the PS3 came out, then people said that it looked too "fat" compared to the PS2 which indeed gave the impression that something really heavy just rolled over the poor thing and gave it that extremely simple flat / compressed / squished design. Then the PS4 came out and it was a bit of a mixture of both, it went back to something really simple and gave it more angles than the PS2.

Now for me who grew up playing games in the 90s the most iconic PlayStation design is the original one. I never was a fan of the PS2 design for a start (not even back then when it was new), and never was a fan of the PS3 design either. I do, however, genuinely like the PS4 design. This time the PS5 design is more on the 'style' side of things. But if I had to go with one (I won't, I stopped buying consoles) I would opt for the Digital Edition since it's the more symmetrical design, and just downloading games digitally would be ok with me; been doing it on PC since Steam was a thing. The last retail game I bought on PC was the first STALKER all the way back in 2007, so 'digital gaming' for me it nothing new and I embraced it long ago.

Anyway, I'd probably rate the PS5 design a 6/10 for the regular, and 7/10 for the digital edition (I prefer the symmetry on it, especially when viewed from the front).

5. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I love the design not big standard shove it in x box with no real improvement on the controller for years, where is innovation. frack it just build a decent pc.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    And, it can be on it's side:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I'm curious of the price difference.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
  9. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    A Super Hub had never looked so elegant

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    You beat me too it! LOL

I like the design though, its gonna require some insane cooling inside that box. Airflow looks very limited.

The games they showed off don't really show the true potential of this hardware, its early days so that can be discarded. I think Rachet and Clank looked the best by far, great animations, highly detailed textures, insane physics, particles, tons of enemies, destructible environments, warping between areas and worlds/levels using that SSD, and some very impressive ray tracing going on there too. Looked fun as hell too.

Everything else they showed was either "meh" or was just cut scenes that could of been "in engine". Notice how they said "captured from PS5 hardware", so what? I can play a bluray film on a PS5 that too could also be classed as "captured on PS5 hardware" lol :p

RE8 frame rate looked atrocious too, but probably early build so that excusable but the game looked great so far. Horzion looked meh, yet more cut scenes and no gameplay. Gran Tursimo looked ok nothing too spectacular. Watch the trailer again for GT7 and keep close eye on the shadows on the environment, that pop in is just insane and it looks like its using either 0xAF or 4xAF at best. But once again it can be excused as its a racer and it looks like most of the horsepower went into the cars and the interiors.

No price tag yet, which I think they have done because of COVID. People are strapped for cash at the moment and they know these machines will be very expensive. So they are waiting til the last moment to reveal the prices. None of them want to sell at a loss, SONY especially can't as the company is not doing so great. Maybe they sell the consoles so they break even and then make up for it on game sales. Rumours are pointing toward a $10 increase in price for games too up from $59.99 to $69.99.

I am thinking around $699-$799 for the PS5 and maybe $799-$899 for the Xbox. But I think Xbox could match the PS5 as they dont have that fancy new custom SSD tech and MS is in a better position financially to take a small loss on each machine. These machines can't hit that $399-$499 price tag, there is no way in hell. They are not using some old Jagaur/Pitcarin based APU with a 5200rpm HDD and 8GB RAM. I think they are looking at the smartphone market and thinking that if they release every year for over $1000+ why can't the consoles release every 3-4 years for around the $700 mark. I expect a refresh of these consoles at least every 3-4 years. Carrying on the "Pro" and "X" monikers. Just like Nvidia do with the "Ti" and "Super" models now.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Is it just me or is it fugly in white?

It was an OK announcement, I was expecting something more controversial after the delay, but guess it was just a pr thing.

The best looking thing I saw was the basketball game, and above reminded me that I was impressed with the physics in Ratchet and Clank.

KissSh0t likes this.
  13. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    I liked most of the presentation, really looking forward for Kena Bridge of Spirits, project Athia, that Spiderman DLC I think it was, Demon's Souls remake as it is the only game I haven't played in the sagam and the new Horizon as well.

I like the console's look, and the fact that I can have new headphones from the beginning it's a plus for me. Don't care how loud it will get to be honest, as I always play with headphones :D

Will go for the digital one in the end, as I don't want to store disks anymore, sold most of what I had. Will still buy the collector's editions just for the statues for the games that deserve it, like I did up until now.

Overall, was a good presentation, definitely better than that weak attempt from the rival side, not the greatest one, I would have liked to see BLOODBORNE 2 but hey! one can only dream so far right? :D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  14. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    What about Bloodborne 2 m8! :D Am I asking too much? :D

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Gonna take a few moments to go over my thoughts after seeing this presentation.

Design.

Absolutely fine with this. The cooling slots that wrap around are nice. Sleek, yet curved and carved like a concept work of art, rather than a final design. Very cool. Remote control is sexy as hell, and the headphones are like something you'd wear in a late 90's avant-garde, faux-futuristic pop video. Camera is probably the thing that will be discussed the least, yet does have robotic anthropomorphic qualities to it...which I guess is kinda cool.

The controller is not the thing guests will look at, and whilst playing games...not really an concern, and I guess once in the hand, it will be worth two in the bush.

Games.

I have two thoughts on this...firstly that the quality of the video footage was blargh, with obvious pixelation artefacts from video compression - and secondly, that the producers of the games did not put their best feet forward.

There was an very clear indication that the games were produced using current-gen design philosphy, with gitching, LOD pop-ins and frame rate drops. Now, I do undrstand and realise that the game engines they are using are, kinda old at this point. I do wonder how old some of the code that is in Gran Turismo, actually is. Not talking about the physics, but pure graphics - because GT7 did look very PS3 (photo-mode). The stuttering (when brakes were applied, due to particle systems needing CPU for smoke calculations) was also remissive of GT5's frame drops.

The only game that looked as if it was made with new stuff was R&C and Sackboy: A Big Adventure. Both of these games tonnes of really inventive gameplay mechanics, but mainly yes, the graphics looked fresh.

Final musing.

I think Sony has a problem with it's current console versus the new console - the people making games are too comfortable on the current hardware and (it looks like) they do not wish to make significant changes and want to produce the same game for the PS4 and the PS5 at the same time...the PS4 and all of its runty children are proving too hard to let go.

I want one, for sure, but I am not convinced my PS4 Pro with an MX-500 is gonna be out of date for a while, until the developers give me something next gen to play.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Don't really care what it looks like as long as it is quiet and works, as i won't be accpeting another jump jet out of the box next time that you dare not use during the summer months as with the pro......cool and quiet it must be.

17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
  18. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GA
    Nice mobile games on ps5

19. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Again you are flaming dude? What’s up with that?

20. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Stop flaming!