GeIL Announces ORION Series DDR4 Memory up to 4000MHz CL18 64GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX Merc BE
    If only my CPU had a good MC, but nah. My 3900x doesn't even handle 3600MHz. I turned it back to 3200MHz @ XMP speeds just to be sure that it's stable.

theoneofgod likes this.
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    What board are you using? I'm guessing you just haven't tried the right settings. The 3900X definitely does handle 3600 RAM.

I'm running my 3900X with my DDR4-3600 RAM at 3800MHz. Fabric/controller/RAM all linked at 1900MHz. I was running at a stock 3600MHz with tight timings on an MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon. Now I'm using an Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi with the 3800MHz settings and looser timings but still lower than stock.

4. schilperoordbas

schilperoordbas Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX Merc BE
    I'm simply baffled that it doesn't handle 3600. My board is the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, latest bios F11. I even had 2 motherboards both X570 and they both had a lot of trouble to handle anything 3600 or in that region. Tried multiple kits of RAM as well, but they never did XMP. Makes me almost think that my CPU needs to be RMA'd. For now I have it stable at 3200MHz XMP and I'm happy with that, but I certainly expected more when I bought the hardware.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/w...-with-intel-optane.432618/page-2#post-5798359

I also have another problem, that is Windows 10 2004 not running stable. Someone over at that other thread even said that my CPU might need an RMA.

I have had trouble for months and nothing is solved, no matter what I do. I'm really frustrated.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020

5. MorganX

MorganX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    I'm just now able to run my 3900X with DDR4 3600 and an Infinity Clock at 1800 for 1:1. Update your motherboard BIOS to the current version if needed, then download and use the most recent version of Ryzen DRAM Calculator for timings and voltage.

6. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I had a similar issue. Upgrading 3700X to 3900X, the memory stable 3800 on the former but could not even manage 3600 on the latter.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    TL;DR - Use Thaiphoon Burner to get your RAM info to enter into Ryzen DRAM Calculator for a general guide of what voltages to use, don't use auto settings. Keep SoC voltage at least 0.05V above VDDG CCD/IOD. My stats listed below for comparison.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I often find that the rated voltage, in this case 1.35V for DDR4-3600, is not enough to be stable. From DDR2 to DDR4, always the same (don't remember earlier types). On a Ryzen system by default the RAM's actual clock, so 1800 for 3600, is in sync with the memory controller and Fabric. So you have to go out of your way to make sure that's all stable or decouple them.

By default both the X470 and X570 I've had absolutely blast the CPU with high voltage with auto settings. In the case of the Asus X570 when the Fabric clock is raised above 1800 the auto setting it uses for the VDDG CCD and IOD is off the charts at 1.15V, which any info I've found says is dangerous. Meanwhile other voltages like for the RAM, is too low on auto. I've read repeatedly that the VDDG voltages should be at least 0.05V below the SoC voltage, which of course auto settings were not doing. I don't know what can happen if it's not.

Do manual settings for all the basic voltages. VDDG CCD/IOD, VDDP, RAM, and vcore as well if your motherboard is as dumb as mine on auto. Use the Ryzen DRAM Calculator as a guide. If you don't know specifics about your DIMMs to enter into the calculator, use Thaiphoon Burner to read the data from a DIMM. The suggested ranges of voltage for each setting should work. In my case it recommends a max SoC voltage of 1.125, and finding verifiable info has been impossible for me but I keep hearing that's roughly the danger zone for SoC voltage. I ended up using what droops to 1.087V in Windows. I also got a BSoD in the 2004, but I don't know if that was RAM related due to the generic error it gave, and didn't happen prior to 2004, but did pass Memtest 86+ thoroughly.

For comparison my stats:
    RAM: 2x8GB DDR4-3600 A2 Samsung B dies, single rank, @ 3800 with tighter timings than stock 3600's with 1.45V (or maybe I lowered it to 1.4V in the end, I forget, RAM can take a lot safely).

VDDG CCD & IOD: Both 1.033V in Windows. If I run into any issues booting this is what I suspect may need to be increased slightly.

CLDO VDDP: 0.909V in Windows. My BIOS shows this in what must be mV but doesn't give a unit, thanks Asus.

SoC: 1.087V in Windows (slightly higher when under full load).

Vcore: 1.28V in Windows. As low as it will POST with, and it is stable.

By not touching my base multiplier means all of AMD's convoluted rapid voltage controls are at work so the CPU is never drawing what's set as the vcore. It ranges from less than 1.1V idle to 1.49V when under full load on any or all cores which is terrifying but that's apparently normal behaviour, based on everything I've found, whether or not it's murdering our CPUs, only AMD/board partners know. But letting the auto setting for vcore do it's thing is horrible, it sets at least 1.48V and idles much higher all the time raising temps by a ton. I didn't want to find out how high it goes under load when I saw it. This is all with the Ryzen Balanced power plan in Windows settings, which is what I recommend you use based on my tests. Using more aggressive profiles just isn't worth it IMO, no real world performance gain, just more CPU voltage under load.

Edit: A bit more info - Even under stress tests my CPU never goes above 70C with a Noctua Noctua NH-D15 with these settings, if it even hits 70C. In the real world far lower.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020