Is this the GeForce RTX 3080?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 6, 2020.

1. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    People will pay for quality. And even from the leaks alone, its obvious this design is better than the previous design.

I'm glad nVidia is pushing for better and unique cooler designs rather than sticking with the basic blower designs of the past.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is high quality, but I have reservations about $150. Manufacturing price will be quite lower.
    This price is probably taken from total cost of engineering, tooling, experiment failures, ... for some fixed number of units. Like 10,000.
    As volume increases, fixed cost from preparation for manufacturing will not change, but actual much lower cost of material used will reduce long term cost a lot. May land somewhere between $50~$100 once they are shipped in 100,000.

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Unless they're using all copper, which would be stupid, there is no way in hell this is $150 cooler. It doesn't look that nice or that expensive.
    It does have more meat and no vapor chamber, so I would think this is a cheap way to maximize the cooling power. Kinda no nonsense solution if we think just about materials used, and forget for a moment about fins geometry and fan setup; which I don't quite get.

It seems to me that they're trying to minimize two fans turbulence going against each other, giving each fan their area of duty (left and right), which I previously that it would be frond and back.

-Tj- likes this.
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it has a vapor chamber, the heat pipes extend out from it into the end fin stack.

5. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Ah ok. That's pretty good then

6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    It very much depends on how far back in history you go. You are talking to someone who had a Radeon 9800 back in 2003 and a Radeon 5870 in 2009 which at the time these were released they faster than anything Nvidia offered. Otherwise I have had Nvidia cards well as long as we don't go back to 386/486 days.

I wouldn't assume anything at this stage.

carnivore, Maddness and Fox2232 like this.
  7. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Okay, recent history. And if you think AMD GPU division is doing as well as its CPU, you are dreaming.

Fiji/Fury, HBM was also suppose to destroy nVidia, remember. :D

8. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Interesting to see how it cools and noise. I sort of like the look. GPUs have not really changed much i appearance except for a few odd cards.

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Maybe it depends how you look at it?
    These two from AMD stand out vs Nvidia's counterpart, especially when getting the best aftermarket models of each and comparing prices.
    5600XT vs RTX 2060 for 1080p
    5700XT vs RTX 2070 Super for 1440p
    For max 1440p I would have taken a PowerColor RX 5700 XT Red Devil over Nvidia instead of getting what I could afford for 4K, heck, quite a lot of people would even find the 5700XT expensive.

Apart from that, AMD does not have the fastest CPU for gaming either. ;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Yes, it was fast and did also come with a hefty price, don't forget that.
    If there is no competition even AMD puts their prices up, hence why the best interest for an average consumer is competing and not crushing products.
    Let's assume that AMD manages to release a flagship doing 20-25% more than Nvidia's flagship, do you honestly think it will be within the same price range or cheaper?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020

11. devastator

devastator Master Guru

GPU:
    rx7900xt sapphire
    there only going to be rtx3090 rtx 3080ti and a rtx3080 at lauch no rtx 3070 which is what i want ??

12. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Oh I would prefer more than anything to have better competition In fact I hope Intel makes a real push into dedicated GPU's in the next couple years as that will also help push standards instead of proprietary solutions. My point was lets not rule out AMD making a great card as they have had some stand outs over the last 17 years. If we look back AMD did undercut Nvidia 11 years ago to get market share with the 5870/5850 when the flagship 5870 was MSRP of $379 and that card was king of the hill for a little bit. So yes I could see them undercut Nvidia especially since Nvidia inflated prices so much the last two years AMD could absolutely turn a profit.

13. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Still looks small and inefficient. Give me a card that takes 3 places... hefty heatsinks on the VRAM and the VRM. On top of that make an oversized Arctic Cooling S1 that is made for for 2 x 140mm fans. You heard me.
    It will be cheaper and it will cool better than this super-expensive "solution".

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    what would you know about efficiency though?

15. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Enough to say that it will be loud and expensive, and could also add that a lot of fools and their money shall be departed.
    Nobody expects to cool CPUs with much less power usage to be cooled by these minuscule crap coolers, but this is somehow to be expected from GPUs?
    My 5700 original cooler was absolutely rubbish, and exactly the same is to be expected here. A lot of third party coolers which are marketed as silent are anything but silent.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Thanks for confirming you don't know anything.

17. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    For all we know this thing could vent so much airflow out the back maybe we'll get a little nVidia flag to hang behind our case that'll flap in the wind...or maybe not...IMO a little Mars Attacks flag would be great... Mars flag.jpg
    With one fan simply there to blow out the back some more without any real cooling effect...

18. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Don't fanboy stuff. The surface area is small, the fins sit close together, which means the fans will have to rotate quite fast for the cooler to be to any use.
    The simple fact that they have to spend 150 dollars on a damn cooler means that they will have a lot of heat to deal with. And they can't even create a cooler that does it much more cheaply. That's an utter fail.

CPUs can have gigantic tower coolers, but the coolers for GPUs remain small and shitty, and that's the reality. Maybe some of you actually like loud coolers that get filled with dust quite quickly, but this is not something for all of us.

19. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    Can't believe that's a $150 cooler - I mean it's just looks like a normal gpu cooler only they stuck one of the fans on the back. You get much bigger cpu coolers with dual fans and heatpipes for say $40?

Kaleid likes this.
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Fact that it blows air through tail of the card will enable some system builders tog et that heat directly out of case. +another part of heat goes out around display ports.
    This solution can be used in few specific small PC cases and make interesting builds.