Review: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe SSD M.2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review the Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB, a fast M.2 SSD that you can purchase for 129 USD these days. Labeled with Reads and Writes in the 3200/2000 MB/s ranges there however is an oddity to be found with ...

Review: Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe SSD M.2

DeskStar, Thunk_It and Loobyluggs like this.
  2. Ottoz

Ottoz Member

GPU:
    AMD Vega 64
    I don't agree with those maths. I have 3 HDD 8TB full of steam games, which usually update, once a day or a week. If I fill a 1TB SSD with those games using a SSD QLC with 700- 1000 endurance. and I play a game on daily bases and save it every 5min over the same file, I would be able to update that file 700 times (remember SSD is full so the only way is to update the file rather than place it in other part of the SDD). The disk will last 175 days playing 8h a day. Great investment $129 per less than a half a year

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  3. You can't be seriously writing this...

A game save is not the entire game, but a 10-25MB file, so your maths are completely wrong. Also, when a game has an update, not all of it is getting rewritten. Very rarely even a major update is more than 300MB.

sykozis likes this.
  4. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Hilbert, I really appreciate the level of thoroughness and professionalism in this review. And it is a great review!

5. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    This is wrong enough that it should be deleted. Math this bad is way more harmful to discourse than insults and curse words will ever be.

sykozis likes this.
  6. Ottoz

Ottoz Member

GPU:
    AMD Vega 64
    I don't see any wrong, if you write 700 times over same sector your SSD is as good as dead. This can be achieve in many ways. 1TB database change 700 a record and your SSD is dead. A SSD completely full at 100% and updating the same same 700 and boom your SSD is dead. 700 cycles is rubbish.

The only way to achieve 9PB in that SSD, it is using in a DVR, that will be a waste of dollars

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You could not be more wrong with your assumptions. But yeah, please stay on HDD if you feel that is best for you.

sykozis likes this.
  8. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    What? A game update is rarely more than 300MB???? Are you from the year 2001? Do you not have AAA games on Origin or Steam?

eg. Battlefield 5 updates always greater than 50GB,.... Starwars Battlefront updates over 60GB each

9. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    I will stick with my spinning rust for now as it is affordable and I like to have as many games installed as I can. As for load up times I am missing out on sorry but for World of Warcraft and other games I play I can wait a little longer. Thanks for doing the review though as it had some information I was interested in.

10. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Can someone explain why the PCMark 8 Storage benchmarks have the absolute slowest, cheapest, ancient SSDs doing the disc trace timing tests at almost the exact same speed as latest PCI-E Gen4 NVmE drives???

eg. Battlefield 3 has Sabrant Rocket Gen4 at 131.2 seconds and I have an ancient piece of crap 480G Sandisc and that gets 134.3 seconds in same test???

Why aren't the latest PCI-E Gen4 NVME kicking the crap and doing same test in 15 seconds??

Are these newer drives speeds a bit of a scam? Do they only reach those in very rare occasions?

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    the 15 second would be true if the computers had the ability to directly access the from cpu to ssd or gpu ... but alas things do not work like that there is a lot of io your files have to pass threw from your SSD to be usable by a game so after some point on the gaming side you get diminishing returns, kind of why there is such a big deal around the ps5 ssd ... where there is a custom soc that does the decompression on the spot and skip most of the io allowing the gpu and cpu to have much more direct access to ssd .The speeds are there video editing transferring files etc you will see em ... just the games are a whole other beast .

12. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I got exactly the same score in PCMark 10 for an ancient cheap SATA SSD and the supposed latest, greatest, NVME PCI-E Gen4 drive... I get similar results in PCMark 8 for all tests.

https://www.3dmark.com/compare/pcm10b/843964/pcm10b/851751#

13. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Damn, sorry for the off topic, but first time I just got 2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus and didn't know they are too high on that speed list. I'm an early SSD adopter and since the days of Samsung SATA SSD 830, 840, 850 and lastly had 3x 860s. Blindly only Samsungs I get.

To be honest responsiveness you don't notice difference, but when you load a game, there you feel it. I forgot how time-consuming was to load a game.

P.S. The only kind of bad news is that just read Samsung will release 980 EVO. I read that story just a day before I got my SSDs. Well, C'est la vie.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Been using a 1TB 600p NVMe as a game drive for over two years and it's TBW is lower than my OS drive. Game drives do not take as much abuse as you seem to think.

sykozis likes this.
  15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    RE: TBW:

(current drives in system)

4 years: 29 of 150 TBW used:
    My 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD has a TBW of 150. This drive has seen heavy use as my OS drive (and big games) for over 4 years (49 months, 17 days, to be exact). I have currently used 29.1 TBW in total. At that rate, I have 12+ years to go.

1+ year: 9 of 400 TBW used:
    My 2TB nvme ssd drive (Intel 660p) has a TBW of 400. This drive has been used as my Games drive for 1 year, 53 days. I have currently used 8.6 TBW in total. At that rate, I have about 57 years to go.

Additionally, I'm about to retire that Evo 850 drive from heavy service. This weekend it will go in a secondary rig. All of my SSDs have been like that. Obsolete because of size, long before TBW even gets on the radar. Not one of them have ever died either.

Loophole35 likes this.

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I had to tell the same thing basically to Fox a while back. The misconception of how much abuse our SSD’s are subjected to is ridiculous. I just upgraded my 600p 1TB to a Sabrent Rocket 3 2TB. It’s faster than my 960 EVO I use for OS. I’m gonna be switching to AM4 soon because I’m tired of new vulnerabilities every month on my Intel system and I think Zen3 is gonna be the real deal so the 960EVO will be getting updated to a Gen4 M.2 soon.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yes and no....

Check out the video in the spoiler tag... (sorry Hilbert, it would take way too much text for me to clarify my answer without this video)

Basically, queue depth makes a big difference as does file size, file count, cache, etc.... There are some things a faster SSD will (obviously) do faster.....and there are some things that even an SATA SSD will keep pace with just fine.

The only reason I have an NVMe SSD is because it's price/capacity ratio was better than the SATA equivalent at the time. I have 3 systems. 2 use NVMe M.2 SSDs and 1 uses an SATA M.2 SSD. There is actually no discernable difference between the 3 systems in most scenarios.....

You've obviously never played Diablo3.... Updates for D3 are regularly in the 2-5GB range..

geogan likes this.
  18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    The reason my 500GB Evo is retiring is I couldn't wait any longer. I was going to wait like you, but I ordered a 3800x system last weekend. I had to buy a unicorn "used-good condition" x570 board ($262) off of amazon warehouse. It just arrived an hour ago. I spent all week wondering what would be "used" about it. Nothing. It's literally brand new. Quite relieved and stoked.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I’m on the auto notification list for a B550i from ASUS. I’ll likely just pick up a 3600 for a placeholder and jump to a 4900x end of year. My memory is already Samsung b-die.

20. Fotos

Fotos Guest

GPU:
    1050 2gb
    Hello, I am a laptop user and I am thinking on buying a SSD nvme due to huge load times in video games and a slow performance in general of my laptop. I have a HP omen 15-ax204ns. I am studying in collge and I need to have a laptop so I also use it as my gaming machine.
    I write this to ask you if you would advice me to buy one of this ssd or spend more money and go for a more expensive one . (I wouldnt replace my old hard drive but I dont want to buy an ssd that dies on 1 year).
    Thank you.