Samsung 870 QVO SATA3 SSD tagged at 8TB Spotted on Amazon

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I figured that QLC would make drives cheaper, but these are even more than TLC. That's the Samsung Tax, I guess.

I love my 4TB 860 QVO, but that's a $100 premium for the 8TB over what you can get two 4TBs for. Ouch.

3. asder

asder Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1080TI
    not all QLC are created equal ;)

mohiuddin likes this.
  4. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    I don't think it's the "Samsung Tax," more like it's the "I'm first, if you want me you have to pony up." As for being a premium over the 4TB, I don't see that. The cheapest I can get two 4TB 860's is about $940. So it is a better price in my opinion.

5. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It depends what you want in all honestly. QLC, TLC etc etc

I just watched a supermicro 4U server with 48TB go on ebay, with enterprise hard drives, for just under £350 including postage.

That to me is a steal!!!

Im happy as larry with my MX500's and 970 NVME, aswell as all my SATA Seagates for NAS.

6. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Wow, this will be down to €300 in a few years and then that is end of old spinning 3.5" discs. I have 3 x 10TB and 1 x 6TB in machine at moment... the 6TB needs replacing with another 10TB drive... and if that 8TB SSD was available for same price of course I would get that instead.

7. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I wonder what the endurance of this drive would be, being QLC, always worry about the endurance of the drives. That said this being high capicity would help with that.

That said with the way consoles are going, I wonder what they will do to SSD's as the performance is going to be so much worse than PCIe drives, going to be an interesting couple of years coming up with this technology.

8. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    First of all we need get rid off old 3.5 drivers.. they are still noisy. Im almost there with all SSD in my main machine - i only waiting on 10-20% price decre of 4TB of SSD + HDDs in Nas.

9. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Feels quite a bit like SATA drives will start to vanish quite soon. I have a 750GB SATA SSD and since I got a m.2 I rarely use the SATA drive at all.

10. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    IMO cheap high capacity SATA drives are perfect for 4 to 6 bay NAS. We are missing the "cheap" part, but hopefully it'll come sooner than later.

11. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    You must not have much need for mass storage then.

If you do anything with 4K video cameras you would know how fast they fill. Couple of GB per minute of footage. Actually even most downloads these days are multi-gigabyte downloads. Games can be 80GB each.

I have about 30TB in use and the drives are mostly full. Have to keep replacing with bigger drives ie. 2TB->4TB->6TB->10TB. I just counted 14 obsolete 3.5" drives in cabinet.

I have similar amount of storage in home theater PC - imagine how much you need when each Bluray takes 20GB about each, and you have hundreds of movies.

Imagine how much 50TB in SSD or NVME would cost...

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I have many terabytes of space (at least 40, haven't counted), but since I do quite a bit of torrenting then SSDs are not ideal for that either.
    SSD is nowhere near ideal for mass storage yet, for games and windows I can cope with the 512GB m.2 I have, I don't actually need the 750GB drive at all. As we are moving closer to games that need fast data the SATA3 drives will be too slow anyhow.

13. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    8 TB HDD costs under $/€140 (Shuckable USB drives)

SSDs are nowhere near close to competing in capacity, and latest QLC drives are (much) slower than a HDD when their SLC cache runs out.

So no, they will not replace HDDs for large capacity anytime soon.

@Kaleid , stay in line... ;-)
    humongous202006.png

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  14. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Well I think you just proved my point that big storage is not going to disappear any time soon, which was against your statement "Feels quite a bit like SATA drives will start to vanish quite soon". Too many people need to store an awful lot more than SSDs can hold now cheaply.... so big drives are not going anywhere soon.

15. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Well, no, what I meant is that SATA SSDs are not really going to be big. There already are big m.2. SSDs, and they will only drop in price. No reason to get a SATA3 drive when the m.2.be it PCI-E 3.0 or 4.0 will easily outperform it. And take less space and not clutter the case with more cables.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    3.5 hdd are going no where to the insanely stupid prices off SSD drive come way way down. the cost for the of speed is not worth it to alot people when come to capacity.

only reason my system is 100% SSD (not NVMe that anit happen at those prices)

is cause my data drive was 15+ years old and only 500gb at that as when i bought 2nd SSD it was just 1TB and it cost me $90 less then $220 i payed back in the day for 120gb.

To this day i hold same stance the speed is nice "IF" you gona see it used and actual benefit to and that all you care about, but for most part we do notand capacity is more important in theat regard to alot people.

would like to "used" nvm but that at thost prices for such cappacity and not with how got they get either.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022