Playing old games on new hardware.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by jbscotchman, May 29, 2020.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Just got Medal Of Honor Allied Assault on GOG. This game is iconic, and is kind of responsible for what we have today. I remember playing this on my old pentium 3, voodoo 3, and it was so intense! It was one of the first games I would always install and test on new drivers/hardware, good times. Anyway, what are some other games that you guys/girls have gone back to rediscover?

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Recently dusted off Need for Speed 2 SE and Anno 1602.

Both boxed copies, still working fine on Windows 10 with some fanpatch help.

cerebus23 and Turanis like this.
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Nice, I think I was running a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 when NFS 2 came out.

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    Command and conquer:Red alert 2 running on modern hardware, still slows down when there are too many helis produced...

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I played that game on pentium 3 2gb ram and nvidia geforce 2 mx440 64mb ram

jbscotchman likes this.
  6. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    Older games I've been playing recently:
    Operation Flashpoint, Chaser, Echelon, Far Cry, Hidden and Dangerous 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Outcast, X-Wing Alliance and a couple of SNES emulator games like Contra 3. Anything that came out since Stalker/Crysis I consider "new."

Turanis and jbscotchman like this.
  7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Planned on giving FSX a try on my new system. The last system I ran it on was rocking a Core 2 Duo and a 560ti and the game ran like total and utter p*o! Wanted to see what throwing an 8 core beast backed by a 2070super would do. Found my old CD copy of the game, dug out my external DVD drive (because who has an internal one now a days?) dusted it all off plugged it in, stuck the DVD in was a little shocked to find that it spun up and the disc registered and then found the game just won't install on W10.

Could buy the Steam edition... but nah not paying £20 for a copy of a game I already own + the fecking thing has over 3 grand worth of DLC for it. Typical Dovetail DLC - a - thon.

jbscotchman likes this.
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Does Myst III Exile counts?

9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Does the game use SecuROM?

SecuROM doesn't work in W10 but you might be able to register your copy on Steam if you contact Steam support

I ran to this problem with Crysis and contacted Origin.
    They kindly activated the keys for Origin so I could d/l and install Crysis and Crysis Warhead, instead of losing the copies I already paid for.

10. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Games with SecuRom work fine, you just need to use a NoCD Crack.

That's how i run most old boxed games on Windows 10.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Bought and played my first Build Engine game today... Redneck Rampage...

Maybe not the best, but i dig the style and humor.

Running it via BuildGDX.

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    That's perhaps the worst Build game made, apart from Tekwar and some other obscure titles.

Definitely grab Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary World Tour from Steam.

Runs out of the box with improved renderer and contains an all new fifth episode.
    Plus if you don't own Duke3D at all the purchase makes actual sense, lols.
    (Made much less sense if you readily had the Megaton Edition).

If you want more, can't go wrong with Shadow Warrior Classic Redux, Blood Fresh Supply and, of course, Ion Maiden.

Sorry sorry, Ion Fury! Damn, was about to get sued...

13. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well i also played Jurassic Park: Trespasser (1998) a while ago, which isn't famous for being good either.

And i enjoyed that as well :rolleyes:

AsiJu likes this.
  14. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    Most of the games I have installed are old skool. Mainly because I never completed them and I have made a promise to myself that I would do so. I'm a compulsive repeat player of games I've already played (GTA 5 singleplayer, Crysis) so I really struggle to finish games I get stuck on. It took me years to complete FarCry 2 but it was definitely worth it.

I still have an original copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein in a metal tin box. It still has the sales receipt inside but the printed text has faded away. It's a shame when that happens because you lose the date when you bought something. I might try installing the HD mod for X-Wing Alliance and see if I can get it to work. Great game. I still have a fifteen year old joystick with throttle lever that worked great the last time I played it. It's so old I need to use a serial bus to USB connector. :)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I'm all about old games on new hardware because I recently upgraded from an MSI R7 370 2gb to a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8gb. Although the FX 4300 (@ 4.5ghz) cpu is a real bottleneck and the graphics card only runs at PCIe x 16 2.0 instead of 3.0. On every game the gpu usage never stays at 100% because of the cpu. But getting back on topic, I do love playing old games at high frame rates.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    millibyte likes this.
  15. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    "Is someone zerrr?"

pff, pff, pff, pff, pff, hisssssssss (silenced sten sound followed by clank of a helmet hitting the ground).

16. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Doom 3 via Steam. Still plays good, but the resolution is horrible and can't be changed without breaking the ini file and stopping the game from running correctly, if at all.

17. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Such a fantastic game

angelgraves13 likes this.
  18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I'll have to check. I'm guessing it's not that version. :(

19. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ghosty: BFG edition sucks with its ugly audio/video compression and gameplay changes. If you want to play original Doom 3, you should check dhewm3 source port:
    https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3
    Just copy your base folder to that and you are good to go for your native display resolution including EAX audio emulation. Recently I created an experimental build for 144Hz monitors if you have one, so you can even try that. There are some minor glitches with physics, but nothing game breaking.
    https://github.com/dhewm/dhewm3/issues/250

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Tried that with a couple of differnt mods. Game crashes on startup. Sadly there are no Steam workshop mods either.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020