Rocket Lake Won't See a release this year, Intel HEDT chips stays at 18 cores for now

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I think they are giving up. The statement of their ceo that benchmarks does not matter and 18cores hedt is enough it sure sounds that way.

Ricardo likes this.
  3. svan71

svan71 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Oh darn, I'll have to suffer with the better cpu / value option from AMD, sniff.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    So what now? 14nm is literally the best performance Intel got?

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Intel's 7nm really needs to pan out, otherwise everyone will literally depend on TSMC, which will be awful.

EspHack likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    how many rockets is it and is it pointed into or out of the lake?

Solfaur likes this.
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well, unless they shave off the top of the die like they did with the 10900K and 10600K, what else can they do other than to re-release the same product again for a lower price?

EspHack and SamuelL421 like this.
  8. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    They absolutely are giving up the HEDT space to AMD. This is of course very low volume sales in the grand scheme of things so It is smart for Intel to concede HEDT. It would be extremely hard and costly for Intel to compete right now. All good news for AMD and frankly until AMD is close to 50% market share I'm pulling for AMD as we all benefit from this competition.

mohiuddin, chispy, EspHack and 2 others like this.
  9. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Because the 7000 series HEDT CPUs are still sold today by simple re-packaging them :p

10. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Frankly, I'm not happy what happened with HEDT and AMD. A Ryzen 16-core is not HEDT, since it lacks the platform features, and a 24-core TR is a lot more expensive then HEDT used to be if you just needed additional PCIe lanes to work with. I would've loved a 16-core HEDT option at more reasonable pricing then the 24-core TR.

So when its time to upgrade I'll either have to buy a more expensive CPU then I really need, or try to get by with less lanes... which might be the better option if I can maybe also swap more things to PCIe 4.0, which is not clear yet if thats going to be possible.

kakiharaFRS likes this.

11. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    That's a good idea, they could do higher performing refresh models - I don't know that it would make financial sense but it would be a good look for their existing x299 customers.

I doubt it will happen because it would require Intel to price the new SKUs competitively... that would mean pricing new HEDT parts significantly cheaper than they have in the past. IMO they won't do that for fear of looking like the "budget" option and tarnishing their brand.

12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    while people that actively need all those pcie lanes are few, i would agree that a 12 and 16 core are needed on the hedt platform ...or at least 16core like a 3950HX .... with prices equivalent to their desktop counterparts they do not even need to be high volume productions just few dozen thousands of those will cover that part and everyone will be happy

13. svan71

svan71 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    "A Ryzen 16-core is not HEDT"

its not Threadripper is.

14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yeah if you really need the lanes and not just the bandwidth it is a tough one right now. You may give some thought as to why you need that many lanes and see what you can do about that on the next build like SAS card + expander if its SSD drives etc. The price of the PLX chips aka PCIe switches that you would find on some higher end boards are no longer in production because the chips went up 3x in cost. I haven't looked in a while but you may look into PCIe switches but I suspect they are going to be about the same price as going full on Threadripper.

15. kviksand81

kviksand81 Member

GPU:
    ASUS VEGA 56 STRIX
    It sounds a bit like you are anticipating a standstill from TSMC and AMD until Q4 2022 - is that the case?

You got that right. Jim Keller is not exactly Mr. Nobody, however, you should look into the European Court of Justice ruling and fining of Intel for an amount of €1.06 billion due anti competitive practices. There may have been other factors affecting AMDs ability to compete for a long period of time, which isn't tied to Jim Keller's lack of precesence at AMD. Thankfully, Jim Keller came back to AMD after the reconstruction of the company and the insertion of Lisa Su as CEO and acted as chief architect on the Zen microarchitecture, which forms the original and fundamental idea of the Zen-based processors. However, Jim Keller does not decide what AMD should do with future branches of the foundation he created. He may be able to have some anticipation to the original ideas potential in the near term future, as of 2015 when he left AMD, however, beyond a certain point, predictions will become increasingly more inaccurate and uncertain, as the microarchitecture itself does not account for other contributing factors, such as the evolment of process node technology, not to mention that AMD is a fabless semiconductor company and can as such leverage on the best technology the market can deliver to them. In other words, they are not tied to TSMC per say, however, they are very likely to stay there for the foreseable future.

Again, you seem to disregard to possibility of AMD evolving during the next couple of years. A lot of factors are going to have ramifications on their ability to grow at all fronts in the period from now towards Q4 2022. Who knows, maybe Jim Keller will be back at AMD again by then?

Why not just relish the prospect of competition and not one trouncing or destroying the other? As consumers, we win in that case. No reason to be butthurt by not getting the annual 5% increment in performance and 10% price hike plus the need for a new motherboard every other generation while noone is there to compete and make everything more interesting and benificial for the consumer.

ToxicTaZ likes this.

16. RyuzakiL

RyuzakiL Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX-1070
    Another butt hurt intel troll. Lol. You think AMD will be stagnant during that time? We, smart consumers, are not stuck with one manufacturer we'll see by that year who got the best price/performance and here's hoping that Intel will not have another 14nm crap you seem to enjoy.

17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @ToxicTaZ yes but my dad has a bigger battleship that and he has a Ferrari too and beats your dad ! ...

carnivore likes this.
  18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Let's wait and see.
    And let's hope that the new Intel miraculous architecture doesn't end with so many security vulnerabilities as Skylake did, as the patches issued to cover those cut a big part of the performance or hyperthreading in some cases.

19. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Nice copy pasta. Remind me when Intel actually deliver your pasta :D

Venix likes this.
  20. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @ToxicTaZ because someone get hurt when billion dollar companies ... compete in compute performance? i literally do not care i will buy the best performance for my money ... intel amd nvidia i do not care at all .... and you think i am mad about jim keller working at intel ... i mention him few times on my past post you can go see what i think about this guy ... no matter what you just pull numbers out of your ass atm for releases 2 years away. That said by all means keep posting those things is fascinating !