Corsair Recalls a batch of SF Series Power Supplies

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There's a problem with high Temperatures and humidity on a specific batch of them. Corsair discovered a potential problem with its SF series of Platinum-certified SFX power supplies that can lead to...

Corsair Recalls a batch of SF Series Power Supplies

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah I read about this, hopefully I'm good, Amazon shipped mine this week :D

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not sure I've ever heard of consumer-grade PSUs suffer from humidity problems. Can't say I'm surprised it's Corsair though. They're the only PSU brand I don't trust. The only times I've ever had someone report PSU problems to me with a new PC build and wasn't user error, it was always Corsair. That being said, I've encountered problems from other brands too but they were definitely user-error.

I'm not a fan of anecdotes, but I find PSUs to be one of the harder components to screw up. For something that can so easily destroy your whole system, I don't find it acceptable to make something that wasn't extensively tested in a wide array of environments.
    I've seen a cheap no-name units catch fire and could still reliably power on a system many years later (don't worry, nothing valuable was connected to it). I've seen a unit without complete circuit protection pushed hundreds of watts beyond its limits, and continued functioning (after the high-watt part was removed). I've seen a unit with a bad internal ground and running beyond optimal temperature operate a BOINC rig 24/7 for an entire winter.
    So, I just don't see what the excuse is for a new product to have such mistakes, especially considering there are a lot of PSU brands out there with very solid reputations.

Don't get me wrong, Corsair makes plenty of great products that I would give the thumbs-up to, but after so many years their PSUs are still getting design problems, that just doesn't feel right to me.

Gandul likes this.
  4. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    This explains why my SF450 took a month before it was ready to be shipped.
    Received it last week, but it looks to be lower then the numbers they provide, so it should be ok.

I have never had problems with Corsair PSU, currently running a 1000W i bought when i bought the second ATI 3870 for crossfire and it has been running fine since.

The Goose likes this.

5. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Well like you said "Brands" under the hood they're a different OEM, they're also not always the same supplier, Corsair just brands them and puts their warranty. You could say it was through QA or everything was going fine till it didn't and it went unnoticed.

6. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    I believe this SF750 is manufactured by Great Wall. I've never heard of them until a google search, but they appear to be a cheaper brand. PSU's are a pretty boring component, but it's one of the components I always research before I buy. I try to buy Seasonic when I can, but have been using EVGA lately due to local availability after I find out who the OEM is and read some reviews.

Maddness likes this.
  7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    A lot of products took over a month to be shipped. These are tough times for the shipping industries. Air cargo and transport has especially been affected since a good percentage of it (about 15%) relied on passenger flights to ship some of it, and which we know has been halted for past several months.

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You got that right. With my Corsiar AX860 unit is a Seasonic unit under the hood.
    Not only that here in the States thanks to the Stimulus money that people who were able to bought alot of PC parts. Some websites said as far as sales of PC parts goes it was like sales during the Christmas holiday season. Amazon for instance they stopped purchasing PC parts in favor of food and medical supplies but recently went back to purchasing PC parts again.

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    My Hx1000i is the only part in my pc i have not changed in 6-7 years but at £250 it should last the duration of the warranty....which happens to be 7 years lol, hope i have not jinxed myself.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  10. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The AX860 that is in my current rig is close to 6 years old but has low hours on it so I should be good as well with my Ryzen Rig that will be upgrading in less than 2 weeks time.

11. poornaprakash

poornaprakash Active Member

GPU:
    AMD/Nvidia

I had a Corsair VX450W that reliably run for 10 years post its 5 year warranty period. It finally died on my buddy PC few months ago without any drama.

12. jonnyGURU

jonnyGURU Guest

GPU:
    GTX760 2GB x 2
    Maybe because more people use Corsair PSU's? Corsair is no different or worse than any others. It's not like they're making PSUs cheaper with the potential to fail just to make more profit. That's quite a conspiracy theory if you think about it.

Then you have no idea what you're talking about. Because, if it weren't for extensive testing with a wide array of environments, Corsair would not have realized this problem. I can say that's not something most other companies would do.

There are no "design problems" with Corsair PSUs. Maybe you should school yourself on how power supplies are engineered before making such claims.

For the record, the failed SF units are not failing due to quality control or design reasons, but because of a contaminant in one of the parts before it even entered the factory.

HandR, alanm and Tat3 like this.
  13. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Corsair makes very few of their own products though. Especially power supplies. Corsair has had a stellar reputation for power supplies (and Ram) in the past due to a simple fact...they don't make them, but purchase them from great manufacturers. I generally don't buy corsair for the aforementioned facts. If I can buy straight from the manufacturer that I trust without playing Corsair russian roulette and hope they buy from a good OEM, then I'm going to. You should research the source regardless. Corsair is generally good, but not always. This SF domain is small and their purchase options are not that great. You should recant that post or take it down. Bad form.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Corsair has a lot of input into the design of their PSUs which they then have manufactured for them. JonnyGuru should know as I believe he's on their design team.

15. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Johnny Guru is amazing! That's where I used to go for reviews, before he stopped reviewing consistently.I did not know that Corsair was making their own PSU's from scratch nowadays. That's awesome! Do you have a link so I can check out the design process that Corsair is implementing?

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Well you can ask him at his site (he hangs out in the forum section). https://www.jonnyguru.com/

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the site is no longer johnny's.

18. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Oklahoma Wolf still do reviews on there?

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    "more" meaning what? Corsair sure as hell isn't #1 in OEMs and I don't see them beating out all of their lengthy competition. Corsair is not some super high-volume brand. They aren't known to make cheap crap, which is precisely why I have a problem with how often they seem to make significant mistakes with PSUs. The issue for this recall is what I'd expect from a brand like Logisys or Apevia.
    Do you have any clue what you're talking about? Because you just contradicted yourself. To be extensively tested means it would have been caught before the product was released.
    Bear in mind, the Corsair units that aren't problematic are made from other brands with a better reputation.
    Perhaps you should read the article before you make such a ridiculous claim. Corsair isn't doing a recall for no reason. Parts don't just magically stop working.
    Then it failed QA, and perhaps they're using a part that doesn't have good enough tolerances. PSUs can undergo a lot of heat and humidity. There's no excuse here and it's absurd you're trying to invent one out of thin air.

If you like Corsair PSUs, fine - I know there are probably tens of thousands of satisfied customers. But I look at the track records of what each brand does, and Corsair is the only one with a decent reputation that seems to make these avoidable mistakes.

It doesn't matter if they make their own products - they sometimes license out bad designs, sometimes good ones. The good designs are why they have a decent reputation, but the bad ones make that reputation deceiving.
    You can buy straight from their manufacturers. Seasonic is one of them. It doesn't appear these SF units are made from Seasonic, because they don't appear to have any recalls (that, or Seasonic actually does proper QA testing before releasing a product).
    Why, because you don't like my opinion? Your said yourself "Corsair is generally good, but not always". The fact you mentioned "playing Corsair Russian roulette" is entirely the reason I don't recommend them. Yes, sometimes you'll get a great product. Sometimes. That's not something I can recommend. It's not easy to determine which Corsair products will repeatedly fail RMA after RMA and which ones will last you for 10 years.

You should recant that statement, it's hypocritical.

20. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    You dont know who this JonnyGURU is?