AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.5.1 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    It sounded like an i/o issue of some kind while you were gaming. Glad you figured it out.

2. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    still getting black screens when playing chrome videos with GPU accel enabled... more than with 20.4 :/

3. skoprowski

skoprowski Guest

GPU:
    5600 XT or 1660 Ti
    Are referring to the Video TDR Failure when watching videos in chrome?

4. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I had to roll back.
    The TDR when alt+tabbing is REAL.
    F ing annoying.
    Otherwise, the driver was good.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    can people check the event viewer's hardware diagnostics filter for whea / bus errors when these black screens happen?

Some cases of it are definitely hardware/phy related, i know some people are using riser cables and boards that are not adequate for Gen4

6. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    there definitely seems to be an enhanced sync/vsync bug affecting a number of games, such as Deus Ex Mankind Divided to name one

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Enhanced sync might not be entirely broken but I think AMD still has it as a known issue with various problems although it's interesting that specific games have issues with it.
    Although what with various per-game profile tweaks of who knows what in the driver maybe it's not that unexpected if enhanced sync itself still has some issues.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Amd warned against using enhanced sync before and from experience it only intruduces stuttering using it with or without freesync.

It should be left disabled.

Fox2232 and Passus like this.
  9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    For my setup best is to have:
    Ench. Sync ON + Anti Lag ON & Freesync + FPS Cap

BFV/BF1 are the best examples how smooth it should be (is) :p :D

Never had a problem with those two.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  10. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Using freesync here and in a few games it seems to dissengage itself causing minor tearing

Lipici likes this.

11. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    Yes, I have it disabled.
    If anyone here has an old game like Tomb Raider Underworld, try that - it's been seriously messed up

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    underworld doesn't like external sharpening and supersampling

13. Martin2603PL

Martin2603PL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    It's Chrome which is not the best product or GPU/Hardware problem.

In my case, I am using Edge (chromium) with Vega56 and no problems, I can play YT video, twitch stream, and a movie via PotPlayer with GPU accel enabled and nothing like that happens.
    Never had issues with past 2020 or 2019 drivers, the same was when I was on "green side"

Tbh with 20.5.1 I see more stable and higher fps in Modern Warfare/Warzone.
    Made a clean v2004 install and then 20.5.1, but previous instaltion of Windows was newer (insider preview) and it was like month old.

ReLive works without any combinations etc.

But Wattman... oh boy.... Thank God I had saved profile for OC/Undervolt cuz this bad boy resets values like crazy.

14. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    its just black screen, I'll try to check next time (main screen where blue screen is more likely to show is a secondary non-visible screen, weirdo setup xP)

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Those people who have worse performance than with older drivers should consider few factors.
    AMD added per game color profiles which may require some extra processing even while not enabled for particular game.
    Same applies to RIS, Anti-Lag, ...

As AMD adds new features, they have to be managed somehow and there is always risk of regression.

16. Jumy

Jumy Member

GPU:
    9700pro to 5900xt
    a new future? i lose my time in calibration and now amd decides also my colors based on game?
    i see only a degradation in quality image and color and so also in performance, totally regression and continue so.
    I'm sorry to say so but amd and future a lost cause is proving. When finally loses me will also be on CPU side
    I don't feel badly treated by amd, i just don't feel considered! give my confidence hoping that settle... no thanks not more.
    I don't pay again for incompetence

17. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    What are you talking about?

And no, there are no "per game color profiles" in driver. You can manage color profile per game in Radeon Settings, but there is no such thing preset in driver itself.

HD64G likes this.
  18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Sienna-Cichlid
    https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-sienna-cichlid-gpu-appears-in-linux-driver-patches-is-this-big-navi

Video Core Next 3.0 is a thing it seems, also more rumors and leaks around Navi20 and it's variants.

EDIT: Not that this does too much on the driver and software side but it confirms AMD's continued to work on the video encoding hardware and that whatever Sienna Cichlid is going to end up being it appears to be using this and whatever 3.0 has over the current 2.0 version. :)

19. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    Agree, though FPS Cap needs to be the in-game one, since RTSS's FPS limiter doesn't play nicely with Enhanced Sync.

In my experience, there are a couple of games without an in-game FPS limiter, like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and then I use VSync+Freesync+Anti Lag (the Anti Lag helps really nicely especially with VSync ON), but Enhanced Sync OFF (Not required with VSync On, and might cause (micro-)stuttering in those issues).

But other games might require a different approach. A game like Evil Within 1 actually plays poorly with the in-game VSync on @60fps, and actually requires RTSS (+Enhanced Sync Off ofcourse) to get a smooth and tear-free 60 fps performance.

OnnA likes this.
  20. Jumy

Jumy Member

GPU:
    9700pro to 5900xt
    perhaps it is better to ask who says it
    I say what i say not for others
    profile or not i don't care, i see only always more and more problem and AMD lose time in fancy "new future" (maybe only for next gen, who knows?) I want a card that does what i say without any secret automation done by incompetents, when i see (with my limits) most of the problems found by me are caused by double and triple (or secret in driver?) settings, by game by setting and by overlay or never consider, i repeat, incompetent !!!
    provocations do it to others, i confirm that I have worse performance and quality
    maybe when something is almost fixed the card becomes obsolete but almost fixed. AMD style a waste time.

it's time for them to wake up because after almost 20 years (for me) with ati/amd i'm tired of being poked (or maybe i had to wake up first). I accept some problems (amd style) but now amd goes against users

I want a procreating card that goes for that can, with its defects and limits, but MUST do what they came!!!! workaround workaround workaround, test x-y-z driver for quality, for performance, for one or other game, for compatibility!!
    you buy a new 500 it goes like a old 500 (1936) and you pay it like a ferrari
    i have in use hd7970 rx480 rx590GME rx5700 and the one with the less problems is the old 7970.......

elaganza likes this.