Random restarts with abrupt black screen

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by flexinho, May 30, 2020.

1. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    My PC always and abruptly just retstarts without any BSOD or any info. Just a black screen from one second to the other with a reboot (just if i pressed the Reset button). I just see a Windows Kernel Error with an Error 41 ID and no Bugcheck code.

My temps are all fine and the restarts happen at random times. Sometimes in games, sometimes when watching a video, sometimes when i do absoloutely nothing on the desktop and not even touching the mouse or keyboard.

I really don't know what causes this restarts. Everything worked fine with my PC but from one point on the random restarts started to appear. Sometimes i go more than a week with no restart, but when if happens once it always happens again at the next reboot (often before the Windows logo appears). Then i am in a bootloop and the PC keeps restarting until i shut it off manually. Just in the BIOS there are no crashes.

I checked all the cables, i updated to the latest BIOS, i use the latest Windows 10 version and all the latest drivers for my hardware.
    I also disabled automatic restarts and quick boot in Windows as many people with those problems suggest.

The only thing i changed in this PC before the restarts happened is the installation of a new 970 EVO Plus with 1TB as a drive for all my games. The SSD where Windows is installed in the M.2_2 socket with a heatsink and the game SSD in in the M.2_1 slot. Temps are all fine and i use the Samsung NVMe driver.

Please help!

My Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700 @4,3GHz
    CPU-Cooler: Be Quiet! Pure Rock (150W)
    GPU: KFA2 GeForce RTX 2060 Super (8GB GDDR6 VRAM)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 @3000 MHz
    SSD: 2x Samsung 970 EVO Plus (1x 500GB + 1x 1TB)
    Mainboard: Asus TUF Z390-Plus Gaming (WiFi)

PSU: BeQuiet! System Power B9 (600W, 80+ Bronze)
    Case: BeQuiet! Pure Base 600
    Case-Fans: 2x BeQuiet! Pure Wings 2 140mm (front) + 1x Pure Wings 2 120mm (heck)
    Monitor: Acer Predator XB241H (1080p/144Hz/G-Sync)

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    PSU: BeQuiet! System Power B9 (600W, 80+ Bronze)

Maybe this is a bit questionable?

Other then that maybe your OC is not 100% stable @ 4.3, and or some voltage is off. Im guessing either cache voltage or cpu system agent voltage..

386SX and flexinho like this.
  3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    It does sound like a PSU issue to me but if everything working fine, that PSU is more than fine to run that rig.

Do you only get these restarts when the GPU is loaded? In games? Or at any random time in Windows too?

flexinho likes this.
  4. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @-Tj-
    I did not OC the CPU. It is a non-K CPU with stock clocks. The all-core turbo for this processor is just 4,3Ghz (as stated on Intels homepage). I just unlocked the power limit to 110 watts instead of 65, but this worked fine for months without any problems and i never had such big workloads on that CPU that it went above 100. I just did that to let the all-core-turbo of 4,3Ghz be more stable.

@metagamer
    As i said: These restarts are random as hell. I can't point at anything that causes them. Sometimes i can play all day long and sometimes it crashes directly when loaded in the game (i tested it with The Witcher 3, GTA V and Red Dead Redemption 2). Sometimes it crashes just when i use the mouse a little bit at the desktop and sometimes when i don't touch anything or when i watch videos on YouTube.

Could it be a problem with the C-States of the CPU? Maybe the CPU or GPU has problems with those little state changes even if i don't start a game or other heavy load. It seems that just the smallest loadchanges on my PC could cause a restart. The problem is that it just happens to randomly to find the root for this problem.

It also is really strange that the screen just gets black and the PC restarts. No BSOD or anything. No crash log, no documentation at all. It is just like the press of the reset button. I even checked the cable for the reset button, because i thought it is loose and always registers button presses at random points.

Last edited: May 30, 2020

5. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I don't think it's the CPU to be honest. My money is on the PSU. I'd start with checking the cables. Replace whatever you can with spares that came with the PSU and check for all the connectors on the cables.

flexinho likes this.
  6. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @metagamer

I already checked every cable and reinstalled the GPU and the RAM. Cleaned dust and everything. I am near the point to throw this PC out of the window. :mad:

I don't know why but i think that it has to do with the two SSD's. Those are the only hardware changes i did to this PC. Before that the PC never ever crashed but even with the new SSD's it doesn't start to reboot immediately. It just started a few weeks or months after.

Before i had just one Intel 660p NVMe SSD. Now i have to Samsung 970 EVO Plus which are much more powerful. Maybe the problem is that i have two of them. The motherboard has two slots (one under the CPU without a heatsink and one under the GPU with a integrated heatsink). I installed Windows on the SSD under the GPU. I don't now why, but i think the SSD's could be the problem. Maybe the CPU doesn't have enough PCIe lanes or something... :(

Edit:
    I reinstalled both SSD's and made sure that they are inserted properly and now i want to see if the PC keeps restarting...

7. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Before you throw it out the window, try running it without the 970 EVO for a couple of weeks.

flexinho likes this.
  8. Halfmead

Halfmead Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte 2070 Super
    maybe you accidentally installed radeon driver/software :D:p (sorry)

I would try to NOT have the system disk under the GPU slot tbh.. regardless of what temp reading you get, this might not be the best spot.
    hope you figure it out mate.

flexinho likes this.
  9. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @Halfmead

I just used that slot because it has an heatsink. I already tried to switch positions but the SSD where Windows is installed gets around 10° hotter than the SSD just for gaming. When i have the Windows SSD under the heatsink the temps are a lot better.

Why is this spot not good?

I really hope that i find it out or someone here could help me because he or She had the same problem and fixed it. I already lost a lot of data and work because of those ramdom restarts. The most annoying thing is when a PC has a problem and you can't find the root that causes it. Why isn't there just a BSOD or some error message after a ramdom restart that tells me that the PSU could be the problem or something different. I just see this stupid Windows Kernel Error with Error ID 41 which just tells me that the PC restarted. Thanks for nothing Windows...

I really don't want to start buying new PC component because the PC isn't 1 year old and i don't know what component is the problem. As is said sometimes i can game hours lon without problems. I never had such a strange problem with any of my PC's.

10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    If you suspect it's the 970 EVO, just pull it and run the rig without for a good week. Run it as long as you can, before you run out of the time to return it.

flexinho likes this.

11. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @metagamer

That is the next thing i will try but i still hope that somebody posts some tips here to help me more.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Mate, PCs can be so random sometimes. If you think it's the NVME drive, run without. Good luck.

flexinho likes this.
  13. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    I reinstalled both drives and will look if the reboots still appear. When that is the case i will unplug one of them ( the one with the games of course because the other has Windows on it).

I am now at the point where i lost all hope. I tried really everything and read forums all day. I still hope that someone on this forum can help. :D

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I don't think its your PSU since you mentioned you're seeing a Windows kernal error. Have you tried reinstalling Windows?

flexinho likes this.
  15. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @jbscotchman

I get "Microsoft Windows Kernel Power; EventID: 41; BugcheckCode: 0". This is the most useless Error-Code because it doesn't give me any information on what causes this restart or power outage.

Yes, i already reinstalled Windows without keeping any of my files. Yesterday i also upgraded to Windows 10 May 2020 update (Build 2004) to see if it helps but the restarts still occur. On the same day i also updated to the latest BIOS for my motherboard. Nothing helped...

16. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I hate to say this but from my experience, this is exactly like what happened to my old 4690k system (and this happened twice, ended up on a 3rd motherboard and CPU through warranty) CPU and motherboard died (motherboard died taking out the CPU with it) so I believe your motherboard is dying.

flexinho likes this.
  17. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @Only Intruder

But how can i tell that my CPU is dying? The performance and temps in games are still great and the PC is relative new (from july 2019) and worked perfectly fine. From one day to the other those restarts started to happen and sometimes the rastarts doesn't happen for 1 or 2 weeks.
    Also how can i tell that the motherboard is dying? It is a 170€ Z390 motherboard. I just picked this one because i wanted the PC to last. I never overclocked anything and even if i wanted to, the mobo should handle this stuff.

18. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    The CPU should be fine really, it can depend on how long this problem persists, in my example, the CPU was fine but the motherboard eventually killed the CPU (motherboard was faulty, I imagine when it happened to me, the bootlooping fried the CPU).

The only way to tell is to test the hardware, try another motherboard and/or try another CPU. Sadly though, sometimes we're just unfortunate, hardware failures occur at any price point.

I'm definitely thinking it's the motherboard though.

flexinho likes this.
  19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Based on your post, the most likely cuprit is the new SSD. Take that out and see if your issues resolve. The sooner you do that, the sooner you'll have an answer to eliminate or confirm the most likely culprit.

sykozis and flexinho like this.
  20. flexinho

flexinho Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3060 Ti 8G
    @Only Intruder

I am starting to think that it's the motherboard as well. The restarts seem to happen more often now. Before i could let the PC rest for some time ans start it again wihtout restarts for days. Now i have those restarts every single day.

I changed nothing and the problem gets worse. Maybe at some point the PC stops to boot at all.

Maybe the problem are the VRM's. I tested with stock settings and with XMP II enabled. Maybe the VRM's need more headroom and are the cause for the restarts.

The XMP II profile gives my DRAM 1.35 volts. My Vcore from the CPU is mostly at 1.25 volts on load. The XMP II also disables Multi Core Enhancement. So i decided to change "CPU Current Capability" from "Auto" to 130%. I also changed the "Long duration power limit" to 110, the "Short duration power limit" to 130 and the time to 15.

Can someone explain those settings more detailed to me? I know that the duration limits disable the power limit, so the CPU won't throttle if it needs more than 65 watts ans keeps the all core turbo. This is what i set all the time and it worked fine and stable.
    Now i also changed "CPU Current Capability". I don't know exactly what this changes if i already tweaked the power limit. Is this setting only meant for the VRM's and should i have increased this setting alongside the power limit from the beginning?

@HeavyHemi

I took one SSD out and the restarts are still there from time to time.