HP Reverb G2 VR Headset Co-designed by Valve and Microsoft is announced

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 29, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    VR is awesome, and I get that there's a premium to pay for the tech but it's just overall so damn expensive for the masses still. I don't think it will really be a thing until it hits a lower price point while still being usable or a decent experience.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Initial price is not that big of a deal. It is long term value that plagues VR.

VR is best and currently only technology/platform that delivers and pursues stereoscopic 3D. And it is best suited for it too.
    But when I look at available content I would like to consume (spend time) vs price, Buying another $400 PC screen just to get HDR400+ IPS while keeping variable refresh rate at same 240Hz I already have seems rather cheap.

Because I use that screen 4~8 hours a day. Sometimes even longer.
    When I factor VR use over time, I may in average use VR for an hour a day at best. (Likely I would use it much less.)
    Would it have well made and interesting mmorpg, average use could go maybe to 2~4 hours a day category. But then VR headset would have to be really comfortable.

And that brings actual limits of healthy use of each technology. You can, quite safely, use PC monitor for 16 hours a day.
    But from health concerns of skin, eye strain, ... I do not think having VR headset pressuring face for 4 hours a day is a good idea in long term.

I am sure that people did notice impact on skin of medical personnel which had respirators 8 hours a day on their faces for just a week or two.
    - - - -
    Then there is that big elephant in room. I would not mind if headset had like 96~120Hz only. But I do mind absence of variable refresh rate.

4. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    so what is it, 2048x2048? oh well its LCD anyway, scratch that

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    The tech for this is very nice, well for me anyway as i am still using the CV1 and Vive, and the fact that Valve are on board and this HMD will be intergrated into steamVR means that any game that supports the index will run on this HMD, so that is a nice big bonus, basically this is a Index lite with all the basic functions but without the premium features finger tracking, 120/144 hz or lighthouse external tracking, but with full steamvr platform intergration, and that is very nice indeed as Facebook have moved the goalposts of late with their Oculus VR hardware as it all now requires a mandatory FB account liked to get access back to all the social features of the HMDs, and basically they are locking their ecosystem down slowly, and i prefer my vr games on a more open VR platform....so yeah i think this will be my next HMD for VR and steam. :)

geogan likes this.
  6. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    If this really is a sort of "Index Lite" then it may be very interesting.

I am too stuck on Oculus CV1, was thinking of side-grading to the Rift S, but not sure if it really is worth another €500 on top of the original €600 the CV1 cost me.

And it appears Facebooks plans do not include a better CV2 any time ever it seems - they want to stay in €400 price and only low/mid range hardware.

I really want the Valve Index - only thing that looks like a proper upgrade from CV1, but the price of over €1000 is just crazy money.

7. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    The entire "windows MR" headsets are a pain in the ass since they force u to keep the "windows MR app" open even while u have steam vr and a game open, eating away performance....
    Furthermore, said windows mr app will refuse to install in some version of windows 10, rendering your headset unusable......

8. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    With Valve stating it will be fully intergarted into SteamVR then yes, this will basically be a index lite at the software support level, so the HMD and controllers will work with every vr game that works with the index, something that was missing from the last gen of WMR HMD on steamvr, that for me personally is a big step as i want to break away from Oculus ecosystem and move to steamvr which is a more open platform that does not lock me down to peripheral hardware like Oculus does.

9. pastor_marco

pastor_marco Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Just pre-ordered. Racing sims on my Occ Rift S has been incredible and I'm totally addicted to it. I can't imagine how good it's gonna be with 2.5x the resolution. This was a no-brainer impulse buy for me.

10. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    The Virtual Reality Oasis overview of Reverb G2 has really sold me on how good this should be. Oculus are totally taking the piss with the Rift S. It is not any sort of an upgrade over CV1 compared to this. And yes I am sick of the Oculus Home continually starting up on its own all the time randomly for no reason, even though I have specifically told it not to do this, and not to start with Windows, and it just conveniently (for Facebook tracking) just ignores the settings and does it anyway.

11. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Less frame-rate I would imagine!

Unless you have 2080Ti and it is currently not being used 100% to get your current frame-rate in racing sims which is unlikely.

I mean I would be going from 1080×1200 resolution per eye on Oculus CV1 to 2160 x 2160 per eye on G2.

So 1,296,000‬ pixels per frame to 4,665,600 pixels per frame.

That is 3.6x the amount of pixels per frame.

So I presume to get the same frame rate I am getting now, I would need a GPU that is 3.6x faster

Which may not happen from GTX1070 to RTX30x0 series card...

Looks like we all need to get the RTX 30x0 series cards at least for this kind of resolution.

12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    To stop Oculus home starting up automatically go into its properties and tick "run as administrator", this will mean you will have to click on Oculus home manually before it will start up the headset on your PC. ;)

geogan likes this.
  13. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    OK, that might stop it alright. I can just cancel when it asks it to run. But maybe that's exactly what Zuckerburg wants us to do... have his spyware run as administrator so it can reach even more places on your computer than before. :rolleyes:

14. pastor_marco

pastor_marco Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Yes, I have a 2080 Ti and it isn't being used 100% so hopefully that will change when the G2 arrives :)

geogan likes this.