AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.5.1 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2020.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    FreeSync can cause some stuttering too from what I'm reading, still doing a bit of a read-up on the state of this but so far it's not too bad although there's some edge cases including that overlay, I disable it but it seems some games like League of Legends can even be reliably blue-screen crashed by bringing it up and there's still issues around alt-tab, browser hardware acceleration, media playback, multi-monitor display support and the mouse cursor lag issue among other issues and existing ones for Navi, Vega and the Radeon VII so overall a good set of fixes but still a number of known problems and regressions that need to be handled.

EDIT: League, DOTA ? Well it's one of them and bringing up the overlay and then 3 - 5 seconds and that apparently should lead to a blue screen.

EDIT: Witcher 2 seemingly hits the proper framerate target now too and they fixed a few sync issues and monitor problems but didn't put that in the changelog. :p
    (Witcher2 used to go down to 15 - 20 FPS regardless of settings on Navi GPU systems, unsure if other D3D9 titles are improved or if it's just some of them but that's a good sign.)

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I will wait for Proper WHQL 20.5.x branch for 2004.
    I will stay with 20.4.2 WHQL for now -> It just works :D

Dekaohtoura likes this.
  3. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    just 2 months and it's been an entire year with stutter and black screens for navi users.. I mean.. that's bad.

4. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    I've not had a single serious issue ever on any driver with this 5700 XT.
    I'd like to bet 95% of all problems are due to overclocking, undervolting, and random crap installed on peoples systems.

DeskStar, HD64G, stevvie and 2 others like this.

5. exmodel

exmodel Member

GPU:
    MSI RX570 8GB
    Does anyone else have an issue where the mouse cursor stays on the screen after you close the overlay in a game? It seems to come and go between drivers but the last time the cursor would properly disappear was 20.3.1

You can get around it by moving the cursor offscreen before closing the overlay but it's still annoying.

6. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Updated to W10 2004 and 20.5.1 yesterday and I didn't encountered any issues

HD64G and GamerBoyManuel16 like this.
  7. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    Have you tried to overclock with wattman? Every time I make some changes and hit apply it reset everything to default values. So basically I can`t overclock.
    Also OverdriveNTool say no driver found. Luckily I found some old wattman profiles and I can load them but can`t change anything.

8. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    I use this approach and it also fixes long loading times, since loading times are bound to FPS (don't ask me how THAT works). However I get wonky stuff associated with it. It is not that big of a deal, but it's good to know if you run into some weirdness.

During loading, my GPU pushes hundreds of FPS so it heats up a bit and the fans spin up - not a big deal, since it's usually just about 10 seconds or so. Another thing is the lockpicking minigame - it is sped up considerably, which makes it difficult to find the correct pick position without breaking a lot of picks - solved this by getting the unbreakable pick perk. Sometimes, dialogues get a bit messed up - a character would talk over their last line or over another character. The last one is that sometimes - usually when exiting an indoor location - the game speeds up. Doesn't happen very frequently, though there are some locations where it always happens - i.e. exiting the bar in Diamond City. All in all, not a big deal and it's definitely worth it for the stuff it fixes.

So I am not completely offtopic - seems like a good release with lots of fixes, although seeing the reactions here not without problems either. Will try when I get home (along with Win 10 update) and hopefully won't have to rollback.

P.O.N. likes this.
  9. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    Check out DXVK for Witcher 2. I had major performance improvements with it: Fewer and less severe low fps areas. Maximum fps tho is roughly around the same tho

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah that's been a go-to workaround for both performance and stability, D3D9 is stable but frequently hits whatever between this GPU->CPU sync issue (If that's what it is.) where the card drops to near idle speeds so you get a ridiculously good performance increase in many previously problematic or almost unplayable games.

D3D11's been better but can hit hitching or stuttering but in my cases it's also mostly resolved display driver crashes including that black screen error but in several titles it also raises average and minimum framerate by a good amount or even increases the overall maximum so over the last few months I've been using the daily compiled builds while replaying through the existing backlog and some older games and the results are pretty clear it works incredibly well. :)

It can help in some cases where there are problems or the game uses the D3D API in ways that are problematic even for NVIDIA GPU systems but the difference in stability and the 30 - 50% framerate gains in a few titles on top of that yeah the drivers have improved but something is still problematic. (Native Vulkan or D3D12 when testing games that have this and are known to be stable have also been almost problem free, Ghost Recon Breakpoint had a occasional crash from a resource leak but that got patched.)

Thus it's kinda hard to recommend AMD currently or at least Navi10 and I am curious to see how Navi 10's refresh will stack up though it's not like the 290 to 390 or 480 to 580 once Navi20 / RDNA2 is out as that's a bigger change although it still feels like RDNA1 here is a bit of a stepping stone although unfortunately with a variety of issues that have been slow to get entirely resolved plus the additional problems with driver branch changes and multiple regressions or longer outstanding issues for the earlier GPU models also.

It is a solid card and when it works it stacks up to the higher-end competition and also AMD's own Vega high-end models but the software side is still too uncertain but the randomness to all of this also means it works just fine for a lot of users too and others can't get it stable at all even after various RMA's and trying drivers from several months back. (Which I'm really curious as to get into what exactly this is but I doubt it's an easy question to answer and there's probably not just a singular problem at the core of it.)

Post 20.2.2 most of it's been fine here, one black screen but recoverable and DXVK for performance and a bit of reassurance that D3D11 will not act up so it's getting there but not entirely smooth or how to say. :)
    Anyways nothing to do but wait and see how it goes, cleared a good amount of backlogged games and replayed a fair few as well over these four - five months now, system is holding up too overall with the only "issue" being Gigabyte perpetually doing some beta thing with the F12 bios for these boards.
    (Guessing F13 will indeed end up being 1.0.0.6 AGESA based as rumored skipping 1.0.0.5 entirely.)

Been on 19041 / 20H1 for a while too and it's gotten pretty good, defragmentation is kinda wonky and apparently going by the event logger it's more than just a display error so Microsoft probably would want to get that fixed but besides that this build has somehow managed to work fairly well despite jumping in early, again. :p
    (Should show TRIM failure errors or warnings but I believe that's resolved in the 20H2 build at least whether it's being brought backwards or if it's six months of full beard time before trimming works again heh.)

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    A guy posted this(he have an yt video)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/gs3kdn/radeon_software_2051_wdm_26_vs_27_on_windows_10/

Battlefield 5 DX 11:

Avg FPS Min FPS
    WDM 2.6 (Windows 1909) 81.5 42.7
    WDM 2.7 (Windows 2004) 82.5 43.8

Battlefield 5 DX 12:

Avg FPS Min FPS
    WDM 2.6 (Windows 1909) 79.9 33.7
    WDM 2.7 (Windows 2004) 75.3 36.1

Gears 5:

Avg FPS Min FPS
    WDM 2.6 (Windows 1909) 57.1 36.8
    WDM 2.7 (Windows 2004) 57.5 37.5

Hitman 2 DX 11:

Avg FPS Min FPS
    WDM 2.6 (Windows 1909) 104.4 48.9
    WDM 2.7 (Windows 2004) 108.3 49.3

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/gru5of/radeon_driver_2051_vs_19123_2042_min_avg_max_fps/

HD64G and OnnA like this.
  12. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Driver works great, better than any driver before for my system, but beware.

If you need ati clock patcher for any reason it doesn't work, author of the tool must update it, I'm so glad that I don't need it anymore though.

13. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
  14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Seems to vary from either working until reboot, working until you load a profile and then working after reboot or simply having the settings not apply at all or otherwise just be inconsistent.
    Sounds like monitoring what the actual values are after applying any changes will be important and hopefully there's a way to get semi consistent results at least and having modified values take effect and apply with reliable results at least until reboot or the existing issue with sleep or hibernation causing them to reset but for that the profile just had to be re-applied again.

Hopefully 20.6.1 won't be more than a week or so off and AMD can begin fixing the most immediate issues after this little branch jump and code changes but that might be a bit optimistic though another set of quick driver updates to work out these bigger problems would be useful like 19.7.1 to 19.7.5 though a longer series of fixes with fewer driver updates released could also work long as nothing breaks and stuff remains fixed if some more testing and development can improve reliability.

EDIT: Either or I suppose then, would prefer a rapid release cycle myself just focusing down issue after issue but some of these old and new problems are probably not the easiest to just quick fix so it could take time but it's also been close to a year now with various problems going back and forth even as many things have ended up being fixed or improved.

15. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I get corruption on videos in Chrome with this driver. Anyone else? Turning off hardware acceleration fixes it. Reinstalled twice + clean install with DDU.

16. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Fine here mate

17. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Rolled back to 20.4.2 all good. So it's the driver.

18. Crisidelm

Crisidelm Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 DD Ultra
    With Edge Chromium, no problems at all. Win10 20H1 + AMD 20.5.1

19. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT SWFT
    Nah...I've been on this setup for almost 1.5 year now and almost every driver release works flawlessly.

Could be a specific incompatibility with this release, could be win related.

We'll see.

20. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Was working fine until now and hardware can't keep up with v64 bios anymore. Anyway, worth a try. Overclocking always damages/weakens hardware over time and that's what may have happened in your case.