Review: Core i5 10600K and Core i9 10900K processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2020.

1. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Good to see that the competition is back , fast 10 core CPU at reasonable price , good times are back . Also good to see that some of the security flaws were fixed on hardware level . Cannot wait to see what beastly CPU's we will see when Intel finally solves the process shrink issues that are with them right now . I wonder if they skip the 10nm and just jump on the 7 ?

2. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Be honest, most people don't use the stock cooler.

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This^^ A good CPU is important, of course, but in the end the GPU is the part that makes all the difference. And this is something that favours AMD because their CPUs are normally cheaper than the ones from Intel, leaving more money for a better GPU.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    ZXRaziel likes this.
  4. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    for enthusiast maybe, for normal users who bought the part, they probably use the stock cooler.

sverek and ZXRaziel like this.

5. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Dude, there are some games, at 1440p, where the difference between a 3900x and a 10900k is like 20-30fps. Look at Far Cry. Watch Digital Foundry's video as well, Intel also has other benefits than just FPS, the other benefit is frametimes and smoothness.

6. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    No one here is using a stock cooler, nor anyone else who posts on these types of forums.

nizzen likes this.
  7. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    WRONG , most people have never even seen the CPU cooler that sits inside the pc they are using nor they know who made it .
    Fact .

8. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Not anyone on this forum or anywhere else like this place online where people discuss the subjective differences between blue and red. But by all means, keep talking about the dad who goes into a computer store and buys a random computer only as if you are one of them.

Intel knows their market, and isn't dad who buys a 10900k.

9. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I can only speak for my self but some of my computers do use the stock cooler , so Wrong again . Backtracking on your post only shows your true intelect .

10. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Yes, I'm sure you are using a stock cooler in your main system. Go away troll.

11. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I know that that is why YOU come here , to " discuss" why the blue team is better than the red team , no matter what the real situation is at given time . You need to get some fresh air , trust me it will do you good .

12. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Haha funny boy .

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The AMD chips are not worth OC'ing. Too much heat/power for too little perf gain. So any sensible buyer who knows this may just settle for the stock cooler and say to hell with OC'ing. I certainly would. The Intel chips you have to buy a beefy LC to OC, as the temps/power are just too much for any air cooler, and even then the perf gains are not that much to crow about. As an enthusiast who has OC'd all my CPUs for last 18-20 years, I would draw the line with the latest Intel/AMD chips and just settle for stock clocks. Just dont give a damn for virtually non-noticable results at the expense of gobs of heat/power.

14. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Exactly , i dont OC anymore , I don't see the point , the current chips are fast enough for most scenarios.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Usual overclocking means on AMD's CPU's doesn't fare too well, PBO and that extra boost thing with it are still kinda beta / meh too and the results aren't great but min-maxing and testing each of the CCX and cores works incredibly well though your average user would probably do better to just set the XMP and get RAM speed and infinity fabric up to around 3200 / 3600 and possibly some timing tweaks but that's very sensitive both from the memory controller and the RAM itself what's stable and what it requires even with the stock XMP profile embedded on the RAM.

Lots of time and testing and a 15 - 20% improvement isn't bad but it's the usual up to and some heavier benchmark applications and for a 3700 and above many programs and games won't yet utilize every core fully although this does give the boost mode a bit of range though the restrictions on heat and how it scales and how far it scales means it will be quite varied too. :)

Some tweaks to the new motherboards, Zen3's and from there DDR5 and what not and it will be fun to see how AMD and Intel will be competing for the late half of 2020 and into 2021 and on. Intel has the means to hit back pretty hard once they get the new architecture and hardware ready but these optimizations on the existing stuff and other improvements are a showcase too so that's very interesting to see what can come from the newer hardware and how much it will affect AMD and the desktop and server market overall.

EDIT: Also doing manual overclocking means voltage and current and CPU load becomes kinda complicated, there's a good reason AMD has cautioned using anything higher than I think 1.25 possibly 1.3 v even if the boost mode momentarily hits higher so that can be a big limit in addition to binning and what the situation looks like with favored cores and the CCX especially for the high-end processors with more CCX's on them or the Thread Rippers but these also overclock much the same and with similar results though it seems to take a lot of time and testing to get things set up with the way this all works now. :D
    (And a good part of the performance gains can be had from ensuring the XMP on the RAM is working and stable without anything too complex for CPU and other functions in the bios.)

Guessing Intel might have a similar idea for the future as well, going to change things around a bit for overclocking as both AMD and Intel moves onto such designs I suppose but there's still room for tuning but it's going to get a lot more complicated and also more sensitive and delicate to various errors or stability problems including outright killing the component by doing something wrong or having it degrade faster and eventually dying that way.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    ZXRaziel likes this.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You need to get a better attitude here. Stop the the posts.

But as far as the wraith coolers for AMD goes, I'm sure a lot of people use them, even Intel counterparts I'm sure do. Enthusiasts in the PC market are the minority, this forum and every other tech community are the minority.

sverek, carnivore, Solfaur and 2 others like this.
  17. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    amazing how everyone looks scaried about power consumption, its a new generation of greta thunberg gamers or worried about 2 bucks on energy in end of month

18. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Yes memory overclock is still worth the effort , nice 3200 MHz kit is the sweet spot , the gains are significant .

19. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Everyone ?

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    You're completely misreading it. Power draw in enthusiast forums isnt about economics, but about heat generation. More power > more heat to deal with and dissipate. Enthusiasts now have to resort to LC to keep their chips cool where in the past air cooling was an option.

user1 and carnivore like this.