Rumor: AMD To Release Beefed Up Ryzen 3900XT, 3800XT, and 3600XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 23, 2020.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I just appreciate AMD's tenacity. It's about time Intel had some competition again. Now if AMD can get similar results in the GPU department so nvidia stops price gouging upward of 1k for a video card. I remember when a high-end card went for $400. Even with inflation, $600 additional dollars is just silly.

2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    This! I really hope RDNA 2 comes out swinging hard.

3. Looking forward to this; very satisfied with my current 3600 so will be interested to see what more they've managed to squeeze out of Ryzen 3000. Not looking to upgrade but happy for them as a brand and I'm sure there are people that haven't purchased anything in a while. I had thought their next upcoming architecture was soon to come though?

Serotonin, chispy and vestibule like this.
  4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Makes me wonder what pricing they will choose when they say the pricing of the refresh CPUs will take place of the current CPUs and the current CPUs will drop in price. Will they use the launch price of the current 3600X/3800x/3900x and 3950x or the current list pricing? I'm thinking they will use the launch pricing for the refresh and drop the current CPUs even further.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.

5. RogeRR

RogeRR Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700X Evoke OC
    Intel is making usually a non-K (multiplier-locked), a K (unlocked), and a KS (GPU-less) version of their (same) CPU dies.

It seems that AMD realized, to compete more with intel 10th Gen Core CPUs, they only have to get rid of the limitations
    of the Infinity Fabric used between chiplets, and I/O-die -so get a better latency what really helps in gaming. After all they only have
    some weekness(es) on these territory, against the "World's fastest gaming processor".

And they already created a refreshed design of Zen2 (Matisse) with "Renoir" for mainly mobile gaming.
    With disabling the (defective) 7nm VEGA GPU part of the new 8 core desktop (R7-4700G up to 4450Mhz turbo? rumors) chips they can have:
    - a similar CPU like intels KS, with better gaming performance than a vanilla 3700X
    - recycle the (partly) defective new 7nm APUs, giving the CPU part more voltage/power -> therefore reaching higher clocks
    (65W TDP won't be shared anymore between CPU and GPU parts)

This would meen a max of 8core/16thread design (afaik) - so if a 3900XT is coming, then all above is wrong :)
    But it seems to be the most logical assumption, just to fill the (relatively) short gap until Zen3 arrives, to hopefully
    take back the "crown" from Intel for a healthy competition. :)

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    *KF

Just watched the 10700k review on GN, I think Intel's biggest problem, in this CPU's case in particular, is the pricing. But I guess they're selling enough units so why not. The 10700k performs better in games than the 3700x and loses marginally in productivity. Not much in it. So you'd say it's a great CPU. Problem is it costs only a tenner less than the 3900x.

I'm curious to see if/when these AMD refreshes come, what AMD will do with them and what the price will be.

7. RogeRR

RogeRR Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700X Evoke OC
    Yes i meant KF not KS ;)

For productivity currently (@around 410-425 $/€) the 3900X seems to be the best option price/performance wise.

But if i would be a "typical gamer" (10-16 yrs old with a 24" 240Hz monitor running all night battle-royale games like :))
    i would surely choose a 6 core CPU over any other - because the 8/10/12/16 core desktop models are absolutely overkill for
    ("fast") gaming. For just 1-3% more fps paying 150-300% extra is insane, rather choose a bit better GPU at lower costs.
    There (6c/12t) the R5-3600 competes with i5-10400(F) at similar price/performance range. Or if funds are limited i would choose an
    underclocked R5-2600 called R5-1600(AF) on 12nm for under 100€.
    Would i be an Intel fanboy (not the case) i would decide probably between 10600K or 10700K depending how long i want to
    keep the config. But would still wait a few month for Zen3 just to see if it can push the prices further down... :)

vestibule likes this.
  8. RogeRR

RogeRR Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700X Evoke OC
    These (Matisse) refreshes - if ever be released - will likely compete, but not push intel to lower the prices (unfortunately for us
    customers). But these prices are still a lot better as in recent years...

9. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    N7P, same process the Xbox/PS5 APUs are made, according to some leaks 1 month ago.
    Which means 7-10% higher clock speeds on same power consumption.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You just have no idea. But at the end of your post, I think you went for a little projection. (Hint: Psychology.)

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'm sorry but I don't understand all the hurt people talking about AMD being sued. AMD said they will use the AM4 through 2020 which they have already satisfied with the 3300x release. AMD never said you could use a 3 year old motherboard with Zen3 even if you feel it was implied. If all these people do sue AMD all AMD will do is make a new socket every generation just like Intel does by adding a pin or two to force incompatibility. Do we really want to force AMD to go that direction?

Ricardo likes this.
  12. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    7-10% seems optimistic to my eyes at least if they do not throw the performance/watt sweet spot out the window . Anyway we will see !

13. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    4900X and 4950X are coming in October and those will probably the only Zen 3 chips released this year. That's why AMD thought it necessary to bring this refresh, or so I heard.

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I should reword what I said, I think it has more to do with the fact MSI did advertise the B450 Tomahawk as compatible with ALL AM4 CPU's. Considering that's been the number one selling board there were lots of people who were totally ready to take legal action when AMD announced Zen 3 needed B550 or higher.

15. Francesco

Francesco Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870
    I don't know, I find hard to believe these are not fake rumors. A 200-300 mhz is a big increase, considering new Ryzens should be only half an year away.

16. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    The leak Mhz increaze is fake rumour. A tunned (PBO) 3800X can do 4.7-4.75. My 3900X does 4605-4650 (depending if 2 or 1 core is 100% loaded in gaming, with the rest 4400-4550 on light loads and 4250 on full 100% all cpu load eg benchmark) .

AMD has access to TSMC N7P process, the one making the APUs for the consoles. That one gives 7-10% higher clock speed on same power envelop. Or same clock speeds at 10% less power consumption.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14687/tsmc-announces-performanceenhanced-7nm-5nm-process-technologies

That is why the PS5 APU has such high GPU core speed compared to 5700XT without breaking power limitations to cool.

Venix likes this.
  17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I get it, the excuse that hey we still use the same socket ...it does not support your cpu and your am4 motherboard does not support the new cpu , see how nice we are we kept the same socket ! What's the difference between amd and intel then ? We bashed intel in the past for artificially blocking support on ...they have the 1151 socket 5 years now but keeping the socket but not supporting new cpus making it irrelevant that is the same socket ...if that's the case they might change it everytime it will make no diference. Also this would make Intel's 775 one of the longest living socket pentium 4 , then pentium d , then core 2 65nm then core 2 40nm ....

@Fediuld oh i see one or another way the more the merrier ! :p

18. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Updated:

The clocks are now leaked as well. If the rumor is true then Ryzen 9 3900XT would get a boost clock of 4.8 GHz, and that is 200 MHz more than the 3900X model. Importantly though the base clock would be also be modified to 4.1 GHz and that is a 300 MHz faster than the existing model, these would be significant changes:

RYZEN 9 3900XT - 4.1GHz base, 4.8GHz boost.
    RYZEN 7 3800XT - 4.2GHz base, 4.7GHz boost.
    RYZEN 5 3600XT - 4.0GHz base, 4.7GHz boost.

That's a nice and crazy boost there.More Pawah for the Gamers. :)

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Question is: At what voltage. If it is same or lower than previous versions, it is great. As it shows potential for next generation of CPUs.

20. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    ^The rumors said almost unlimited Tdp,which will be more powerful cpu(s) and more power consumption.
    Will see next month what we got.