New Slide Confirms AMD Renoir based APUs (Ryzen 4000G) for Socket AM4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Seeing as I've been hearing about Renoir since August of 2019, the part of this article that actually piques my interest is the A520 chipset. I wasn't expecting that to show up. Not sure how that's supposed to work either. I'm guessing the main function is so it can readily support Zen2 and Zen3 CPUs, since A320 wasn't really built to handle the 12+ core models. But I also wonder if it'll support PCIe 4.0, since that would make the motherboard more expensive, perhaps expensive enough where you might as well just spend the extra $5 or whatever for B550. If they don't support PCIe 4.0, I figure a B450 would make for a better value.

I know the A series is mostly targeted toward OEMs but I just don't see how they're going to make it appealing.

3. PCJack125

PCJack125 Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming 4G
    Matisse and Refresh ? ;)

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I would expect the A520 chipset to be limited to PCIe 3, since the new APUs are expected to be PCIe 3 only...

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I don't understand why it's still Vega, even if it's some franken chip with elements from Navi. Why not all Navi while they are at it? Intel is preparing its whole new GPU architecture, which is apparently going to be significantly better than anything they've had before. Still sticking to Vega makes it look like AMD has a reason to believe they don't need to take Intel seriously.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Given Intel's past history, AMD really has little reason to take Intel seriously.

I hope Intel brings something competitive, but they have a poor track record in graphics so far.....

EspHack and m4dn355 like this.
  7. JethroTu11

JethroTu11 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050ti
    If that slide is correct, I guess it rules out me buying a 4***G. I have no intention of buying another motherboard for AM4. I wanted a Zen2 apu if the igpu was a 10% improvement over the Vega11 in my 2400G. I really like how little electricity my 2400G uses. It's nice having a computer, monitor, and router combined that uses little more electricity than an old incandescent light bulb used. It's looking like a R3 3300X or R5 3600 will be the upgrade for my R3 1200 computer. I still might wait to see the Ryzen 4000 cpus but I'm probably better off just getting the 3300X or 3600 and then saving my money for AM5.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'm sure Intel used to think exactly like that before AMD released the products based on the Zen architecture.

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Sure, the APUs are (which is also a bit confusing, seeing as it is based on Zen2) but there are only 2 major benefits to the 500 series: out-of-the-box Zen2+Zen3 support, and PCIe 4 support. I take your [implied] point that the A520 likely appeals more to APU users than for example, a 3950X user.

Seeing as this is from Gigabyte and not AMD, I wonder if these slides are fully up-to-date. It was very recent when AMD agreed to support Zen3 on 400 series boards.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD actually has a better track record competing against Intel in the CPU market than Intel does competing in the GPU market. Sure, it took AMD quite a long time to get some footing again, but it's not the first time they've released mediocre products and followed them up with something that caught Intel off guard. Intel, on the other hand, has never actually had a competitive graphics product....

EspHack and Kaarme like this.

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Look at the big picture: Intel still dominates the laptop market and also small form factor desktops. Lots of those have nothing but integrated graphics. Intel has convinced people they can get by with only that. In the first place, Intel might not even be entering the dedicated GPU market if they weren't dreaming of capturing a chunk of the lucrative server computation (supercomputer) market. In fact they have already sold such a system to the US government despite not having pretty much anything to demonstrate, aside from PowerPoint slides... GPU acceleration simply seems to be highly effective in AI and many other solutions, as Nvidia has shown. Now Intel is kind of limping even on the server CPU side against the MCM EPYC and had nothing to offer on the GPU side to the big customers. When your enemy is desperate (but extremely rich), it's stupid to underestimate them.

12. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    they say its not just repackaged good old vega, they have improved it to the point that navi wouldnt be worth the hassle to try and fit into APU form

but you know how official company PR goes