Mobile RTX series question

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by squidward, May 21, 2020.

1. squidward

squidward Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 1080Ti
    Hi. I am looking to buy a gaming laptop (17inch) & my budget is less than £2000. I saw a few models & there are a few tough decisions I need help with. I initially was looking for laptops with 1660Ti cards, & then I read that the RTX 20 series are way ahead in performance, so decided on the 2060 or 2070 (2080 are beyond my budget).

There is a serious difference between the price of laptops with 2060 & 2070. For example, Asus Strix G712LV with 2060 GPU costs £1650, whereas Asus ROG Strix G17 G712LWS-EV003T with a 2070 costs £2000 (note that this is a 2070 super whereas the G712LV is not a super).

My main reason to buy the laptop is for gaming, & I want to play all AAA titles with max (or close to max) settings on 1080p resolution & i need a minimum of 60fps. Will the 2070 be worth the steeper price & will there be a significant improvement or is that not that significant?

How does the 2060, 2070, & their super versions compare with respect to gaming (no 4K, no VR). Would you be willing to shell out the extra money if you were in my shoes?

All other specifications are the same between the above 2 models (16 GB 2666 mhz RAM, 1 TB SSD, 10750H 10th gen CPU, 17 inch screen)

There are also cheaper options with 2060 with the 10th gen cpus, or 2070 with 9th gen cpus. Does the cpu generation (9750H vs 10750H) make much difference?

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If it was my only gaming PC, I would do the 2070. I would say it's worth it. But in the end, if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. A 2070 would also play Minecraft RTX a lot better than a 2060, mostly thanks to the extra 2GB of VRAM.
    Super versions, same deal. If you could afford it, I would get it. 2060 Super should be on par with the 2070, so if you can get a laptop with the 2060 Super for cheaper than the 2070 get that. If you can afford a laptop with a 2070 Super, why not get that.
    There is a performance difference, and it's not like you can upgrade the laptop later. Get the best you can afford.
    9 vs 10 gen Intel CPU for laptops is mostly pointless, certainly not going to be a factor for your games.

squidward likes this.
  3. squidward

squidward Guest

GPU:
    NVidia GTX 1080Ti
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. This will be my only gaming system. I thought the performance difference will be very minor & would only matter if playing on 4k or VR. If it really does matter, I will go for the 2070 super. There is only 1 laptop in my budget (under £2000) with the 2070 super, & its ASUS ROG Strix G17 G712LWS-EV003T (https://uk.store.asus.com/laptops/g...ia-rtx-2070-8gb-graphics-windows-10-home.html) Can you please check it out & see if its a good configuration?

I am assuming the MaxQ is pointless as it reduces the performance to cut down on power consumption, which is a stupid thing to do on a gaming laptop.

As you rightly said, GPU cannot be upgraded, so better to go for the best I can afford.

Does the RAM matter much for gaming, when you have an SSD? The stock models only come with the 2666 MHz 16 GB RAM. Would that be enough or would you recommend a 3200 MHz RAM with 32 GB? How much does that affect the performance?

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    RAM isn't a big deal speed wise for Intel, as long as it's 16GB, which it is, and ideally dual channel, not sure it has that. But ram usually can be upgraded later so not a big deal. It's fine how it is.

And yeah maxQ is a way to save battery life. So if battery life isn't important (which is almost an oxymoron for a gaming laptop anyway) then don't worry about it.

It might be smart to wait for a specific review for that laptop though, might be something weird you might not like. Maybe the keyboard is crap, or whatever.
    £2000 is a lot of money, the specs look good, but there is more to a laptop.

squidward likes this.