AMD Ryzen 7 4700G 8-core APU Photos Pops Up

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 15, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD is working hard on their RENOIR series APU. The Ryzen 7 4700G already has been caught on camera. The source from Videocardz mentions the product is a final one, and is pending release in stores s...

AMD Ryzen 7 4700G 8-core APU Photos Pops Up

2. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    Ryzen 7 4000 with Zen 2 cores, that's pushing. With Ryzens 3 and 5 well, not ok, but can pass selling Zen with Zen+ name and Zen+ with Zen2 names, but doing that with Ryzen 7? Come on!

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    APUs are always based on last-gen parts with current-gen names. So, the 4700G being based on Zen2 makes sense. It's still stupid and needlessly confusing, but it was predictable.

What wasn't so predictable was getting an 8c/16t APU.

Nowadays, 4-core parts are primarily used for more compact builds or basic home/office PCs, where having a dGPU is unnecessary.

4. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    I know, that's why I said what I said.

To me it's kind of a scam...no, it is a scam, because they advertise the current generation as being "this good" or having "this performance", having "these features", then they sell these processors with the current gen name with previous gen cores, thus not having the advertised performance and features.
    Sure they can say "but in the slides we specifically said "Zen/Zen+/Zen2/Zen3..."...yeah, tell that to the customer who isn't informed like us (and doesn't have to be) to whom those slides weren't directed (did I write that correctly?), but only the general public advirtisement.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    No. They obviously don't advertise a product with the information from a totally different product. Yes, I also think the numbering system is stupid and AMD should fix it immediately, but at the end of the day, they aren't selling technology specs, they are selling CPUs. All those numbers and details are only meaningful to those, like us, who know what they mean, but most people couldn't care less, they just want a new PC that works more or less as advertised.

6. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    So it is ok to lie as long as the other doesn't realize it?!

And actually they are selling technology specs (if I get what you mean), we are talking about tech here. What if for example someone has a R3 2400G and sometimes codes in H265, doesn't have the money for more cores but can sell his old R3 and buy for little money a R3400G from the generation that encodes H265 way faster just to have some bump in speed without spending money he doesn't have...well, surprise...

Now, what exactly is advertised for each product I don't know, but that's not the problem. The problem is that someone will hear "Ryzen 3000 series improved in this and that" in a general review, when he finds the time to have a general idea, not the more detailed info we like to get. Why should he know or presuppose that the n gen Ryzen with the G at the end are not actually from the n generation but the previous one, especially if that's a stupid thing to do?

Ricardo likes this.
  7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    What are they lying about? AMD doesn't claim Ryzen 3000 does universally this or that. It's just what people assume. From AMD's pov they are identification numbers for product lines. Like in AMD GPUs they suddenly jumped from 500 series to 5000, not 600. Or like how there were rebrands.

Obviously they aren't since it doesn't work so systematically or logically. Just like in cars you never know if the manufacturer adds or drops some feature one year from the same model. Some spare part might fit in both 2015 model and 2018 model, another part might be totally different. You won't know unless you laborously study the models.

If you don't want to know, then you shouldn't even care about it. It's not like the generation by itself would change how Windows and programs run, even though it might affect how fast they run. Nevertheless, they will run as fast as advertised for the particular model, more or less.

8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    When this is released I'll finally replace my tired Intel X99 HEDT 6-core server with a faster, less power consuming, and integrated GPU 8-core AMD.

Hopefully it will work on X370 mobo... and not need X570 or some ridiculous shiet like that

Fox2232 likes this.
  9. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    People who read the reviews about Ryzen 3000 series improved, know about that, because they read the review.
    The people that do not read the review are at the disposal of the person that sell them the computer, that is there for that purpose, building and consulting them.
    If they do DIY without knowing, that is the wrong way to do things.
    In few words the connection between the serie number and the zen core types is known to people that want to know it, for the others is just a product of 100$ vs one of 200 or 300$ and the 100$ is expected to be slower, even by uninformed people.

If you can swap a 2400G with a 3400G by yourself, you know those things.

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    One can use it in semi-server. 8C/16T is rather OK. And not everyone has easy time setting up headless servers.
    Important part is power efficiency.
    There are likely other reasonable uses for more cores and not so powerful iGPU. 2D graphics of sort?

wavetrex likes this.

11. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    No, those two aren't the only alternatives.

Same.

Again, the same. There are other alternatives, for example, buy the thing, ask/pay someone else to install it...

12. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    It's like you forgot/ignore all said before. So, forget it...

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    What were we talking about, again?

14. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    Eeehhhh...the stuff of the thing with the device of the object that can, you know, make it, like...remember that thing in those times that you could, like, buy, but then you went and use the stuff with the thingy and...

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This CPU screams affordable home server.

16. blkspade

blkspade Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
    I feel like the are 2 AMD APU customers. People who buy them, and people that end up with them. The people intentionally buying them, especially by now, just know what the APUs are. Everyone else stumbled across a random low end OEM offering that didn't cost much. It's just a random number that's higher than previous one, should the OEM actually be offering multiple series for said consumer to be comparing. Given AMD's limited penetration with OEMs, there aren't a lot of people in the consumer segment intentionally buying an AMD computer that aren't the informed consumer/DIY type. Of the 4 Ryzen systems I've come across doing computer repairs over the past couple of years, 3 were custom build by someone for the customer, that really had no idea what was in it, and 1 was custom built by me by request, with a strict list of components for a specific task. There might have been a single Ryzen laptop in there that someone wanted to sell.

17. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    guys we dont really know the full naming scheme yet, so for all we know amd could shift the entire stack up a tier, ie the gpuless chips (zen3) move up to ryzen 9 and all of the other parts move to renoir. which may make sense given the general lack of competition.

This could also just be an oem chip for things like dell optiplex prebuilt machines as well.

Embra and anticupidon like this.
  18. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Leaving out the additional 16MB L3 cache from Zen2 saves what, half a billion transistors? A billion? More room for the iGPU...

Don't underestimate AMD APU's...there's still demand for running five to ten 4K Youtube videos all at once, not to mention maxing out Crysis at 1080p without the stock cooler even spinning up.

Eight cores might just be magical...

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  19. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    This is not going to happen without dropping actual video playback in background.
    Due to amazing AMD drivers, sometimes APUs will not play even 1080p without stutters... Intel iGPUs are simply better in this use-case.

20. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    This seems like a slightly cut down 3700x with a integrated GPU.

Comparing to current G line, that could be a 200$-ish part, which seems like insanely good value even without the GPU, which would be a nice bonus.

I'd say it's kinda unbelievable, but if true, then Intel will have a really hard time selling even their 10th gen i5s.

I totally agree with this point, the naming scheme for the G line is completely absurd. The consumer base that can actually tell the difference between them is probably 0,01% of the people buying pcs.

Fergutor likes this.