Download: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nothing, the system hangs due a bad kernel driver (probably a bad pointer within a race condition), so there are no logs, dumps, bsod or whatever. This is since ATI AVIVO, they never fixed their damn hw decoder. This isn't related to firefox.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah if it does crash before the application itself and to an extent the system powers off or hits a regular old bluescreen I don't think the error reporter will be able to log much of anything unfortunately but then the GPU video decoder or the software part of it in the current driver suite might be the main problem more so than the browser and from the existing frame drop issue (Which exists for both Chrome and Firefox with a few open bug reports logged.) this is made even worse in more intensive videos meaning 4k and higher apparently it's not always a crash though or a good number of dropped total frames and the system just hangs or full on hits a kernel / bsod event which is definitively a bad sign.
    (User mode and the code here and you get a crash, kernel mode and a error and yeah that's a bluescreen and a bit more of a severe problem.)

EDIT: It's avoidable and the user can work around it but the amount of searching around and knowing about these issues is something that needs to be addressed, not like it's anything new though AMD has a fair amount of work to do if the launch of RDNA2 isn't going to be hampered by the current driver situation and to say nothing of the current GPU models and their outstanding issues whether general or game specific or other stuff which there's a fair amount of.

Well it's a trade-off I suppose possibly losing hardware accelerated browser benefits for stability especially in regards to video playback.
    (Probably more so for VP9 and likely higher-res or 60 FPS content that is more intense for the hardware but that doesn't really change that it's a problem.)

EDIT: Going through a number of possible system crashes for testing VP8, VP9, AC1 or AVC1 codecs and 4k, 8k or 60 FPS wouldn't be fun for the user either or having to use stats or chance on video playback plus at least for Firefox some videos even with settings against it can still end up autoplaying.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    There are no Firefox crashes. Black Screen + Windows froze and had to hard reset. Again I didn't get the 'soft' black screen. Never did since owning this GPU.

4. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Firefox crashed do to the reboot, no the blackscreen. Which logged it on my end. There was no soft black screen.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Any news on about new drivers? No major pc game releases but still there is things to be fixed.

Hypernaut likes this.
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Only thing I've heard is that the Vanguard team is testing something but I assume it's the upcoming 2004 Windows 10 update and WDDM 2.7 compatibility driver for well I guess probably sometime during this second half of May ha ha.
    No idea what so ever about outstanding issues, game specific issues, earlier GPU issues or current Navi ones or the software like ReLive or Catalyst Next although I am expecting the display model update to be a bigger part and then maybe we'll see more fixes at least until the RDNA2 cards launch and whatever miracle will be required to sort out all this before that happens and hopefully not too many months of getting those drivers sorted out, well one can hope at least.

Vulkan 1.2.140.0 has some fancy stuff since the SDK AMD's using in the current drivers (1.2.131.2 I think?) although having D3D being performant and stable without relying on wrappers and the latest fancy extensions for game compatibility, fixes and more performance would be nice too but whatever works with how things currently are.

EDIT: Next week in time for the monthly patch Tuesday would be nice too but with the current status of things whatever testing and fixes are possible to get in should be done even if it means we'll only see one 20.5 driver release before July comes around it's about time some of the longer outstanding issues stopped standing out. :p

LocoDiceGR, Undying and PrEzi like this.
  7. LEXX911

LEXX911 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    Will this driver support old video card like HD 5800 version? Are there any modify/modded driver version Adrenalin 2020 Edition that will support this card? Can't get Gears Tactics to run on one of the machine with the HD 5800 with driver Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta. Just crash/freeze at loading.

EDIT:
    AMD HD 5800 doesn't support DirectX 12? Is that the problem?

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  8. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    No chance mate as 5xxx is a VLIW5 architecture, 6xxx is VLIW4/5. Starting first from 7xxx they switched to GCN architecture and this is the "minimal" architecture level supported in the drivers.

HD64G likes this.
  9. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    No and no.
    As far as I know they removed at least part of the code related to VLIW. (Key files can't be replaced and you probably need fixes in the key .dll that you can't just replace with newer one from newers drivers.)
    If you ask me (keep in mind this is my personal opinion) they removed more than they should had because some particular problems with GCN 1.0 start exactly when they removed the support for VLIW 5/4. (GCN 1.0 while a new architecture still has a couple of things somehow similar to VLIW (PowerPlay section is extremely similar between them(VLIW and GCN 1.0), while GCN 1.0 and 1.1 don't really look the same in that area)).

If you want to see improvements regarding VLIW, Mesa (in Linux case) is the only place where you can still see active development.

10. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Hd5000 and hd6000 series are gpus of a full decade by now. Support is impossible. All electronic devices and vehicles, should be replaced every decade if possible depending on one's pocket money. Only houses are immortal.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Houses will fall down if not looked after buddy they will crumble

oh kinda like support for old tech eh lol

itpro likes this.
  12. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Not if you live under a rock :p

itpro and Passus like this.
  13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    That's what we call rock stable oc, gaming, performance etc. There's a reason for it.:D

Passus likes this.
  14. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Any news about new driver?

I have my new Windows ISO ready to go :p

15. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Without new games and no public release of WDDM 2.7, do not expect miracles. We can only hope. I believe we would get 20.5.1 last week but due to corona virus I give them 1 week more. Let's see.

16. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Well we do expect some improvements in the architecture undreneath the drivers.... maybe final solution to the black screen issues / race conditions in the kernel and/or power managment on the driver side? Maybe some fixes to regressions in Freesync 2 HDR reported/submitted by me two times already?
    Hope dies last...

HD64G and OnnA like this.
  17. Akakiy

Akakiy Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 5700 MECH OC
  18. GamerBoyManuel16

GamerBoyManuel16 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  19. Jumy

Jumy Member

GPU:
    9700pro to 5900xt
    i am trying this driver, attention because it installs an additional service for log... :eek:
    Version-20.5.1 iCafe
    Release Date-2020.05.11
    https://www.amd.com/zh-hans/support/kb/release-notes/icafe-windows-10-driver

I don't have store, so i don't know UWP:oops: but i picked up the control panel by driver Radeon Pro 20.Q2
    all extracted with 7zip and manual installation
    [​IMG]
    seems to work very well
    no crap, no relive finally i'm happy ;)
    ps. RIS only on\off (no %) if you need this vital function :rolleyes: avoid

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  20. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    No differences in the Version of D2, D3D Component, nor OpenGL, Vulkan seems same too (compared to 20.4.2 ) I think this is just a repackage for chinese internet cafes, maybe without the reporting component or something like this.
    I think I will pass and wait for the "real" 20.5.1 driver which should include WDDM 2.7

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Passus likes this.